Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

Electrical problem. Batteries will charge with house power, but not generator.

I have a 2014 Jayco Swift 265rls. I am not sure if this is a new problem this year, or if it's always been there. Whenever I connect my trailer to shore power, ie house or campground, my batteries charge fine on my trailer. I have tried hooking up to several generators this summer, and none of them have charged the batteries. After one trip I found the breaker to the converter was tripped, however, on other trips everything seems to be in order. Is there something that I need to do differently?
slothmonxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #2

Just a thought...some converters are not very big, have multiple charge output levels, and it does take some time to charge batteries if there are a few. Perhaps the time on the generators just wasn't long enough to notice a change in battery level?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

I thought the same thing the first time I hooked it up only briefly. However, the second time I hooked it up I left the generator running for hours and I had no increase on the gauge. I figured I would have had at least one bar increase. After using the generator several days in a row for the ac, I came home with barely enough power to jack up my trailer at home.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothmonxtr View Post
I thought the same thing the first time I hooked it up only briefly. However, the second time I hooked it up I left the generator running for hours and I had no increase on the gauge. I figured I would have had at least one bar increase. After using the generator several days in a row for the ac, I came home with barely enough power to jack up my trailer at home.
How are you connecting the generator? Are you using an adapter and plugging the pigtail directly into the generator?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

I connect the same way at my home, and with the generator. I plug the power cord into a 30amp to 15amp adapter. I then connect it into the generator. The trailer charges very quickly on my house's power, but seems to give nothing on a generator. I have used a 3k, 4k, and 8k generator.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothmonxtr View Post
I connect the same way at my home, and with the generator. I plug the power cord into a 30amp to 15amp adapter. I then connect it into the generator. The trailer charges very quickly on my house's power, but seems to give nothing on a generator. I have used a 3k, 4k, and 8k generator.
Makes zero sense, 110 power is 110 power whether it comes from the wall plug, shore station, or a working generator. I'm assuming that all the rest of the 110 stuff in the RV is working when plugged into a generator. I am not an expert on electricity. Check the output voltage you are getting from the generator. Shouldn't be the issue if you think you are getting the same problem from 3 different generators. Will sit back and see if we have any electrical experts available. Am anxious to hear theories.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #7

What type of generator are you using. I'm wondering if its a Hz/ Wave form issue that the charging circuit does not like what its getting?
There may also be an issue if you have a floating neutral or bonded neutral on your generator.
(just guessing...)
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Team

What is the AC voltage in the TT with the generator running?
What is the voltage on the batteries prior to hooking up the generator and after hooking up the generator?
Are your 110VAC items working (microwave, Tv) on the generator?
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

Is there an on/off switch on the generator? Some have a switch for charging dc or ac. Switch maybe in the dc position

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote