Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

RoyBraddy, that's exactly what mine looked like after a week of hot camping. Can I leave it as is and still use it? I do have dogbone, never new why it came with the camper other than if a 30 amp isn't available.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I have heard about this and experienced it ourselves last week. It is a poor connection at the pedestal. Because the 30 amp plug are used more frequently, they become worn and give you a poor connection. We showed our plug to a friend (electrician) and he confirmed that poor connection was indeed the problem. A way around is to buy a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone connector and you can plug into the 50 amp side which are used less frequently and typically less worn.

(example): Amazon.com: Voltec 16-00505 50-30 Amp Right Angle Adapter with E-Zee Grip (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn & Garden
I had the same problem, but did just the opposite to solve the problem.

my AC, electric frig, and elect WH caused the 30a pedestal bkr to trip. Due to the heat, I left the AC on, but shifted the frig and WH to gas. Later I shifted the frig back to AC, and the pedestal bkr tripped again.

I knew from my home shore power that 20a is sufficient to run the ac and the frig. Since I had a 30a to 20a dogbone and the pedestal 20a bkr was in better condition, I finished out the rest of the trip on 20a without incident. I kept the wh on gas, since the recovery is quicker.

reading all these comments, I realize that the pedestal 30a bkr was probably worn out.

tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

WOW, have you all read the post on "extending the power cord all the way out". They have a lot of concerns about using a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
WOW, have you all read the post on "extending the power cord all the way out". They have a lot of concerns about using a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone.
I was a frantic reader (and I still am) of this forum prior to our first purchase and read a thread or two about pulling the cord out fully and developed that habit from day one. Most problems I have read about with regard to the power adapters are around the use of the little "brick" connectors, a "chunk" of plastic with 30 or 50A prongs on one side and 15 or 30A prongs on the other side. I've not read much at all about problems with dogbone adapters. Both "starter" kits I've gotten have included a brick adapter and I've never used one but I've always had a dogbone and use that when needed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote