Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Electrical problem solved

I've had a 12VDC electrical problem with my MH since I bought it. The problem would never stick around long enough to troubleshoot. The problem first presented as an input under voltage to the inverter with an E05 error. Over the course of a couple of weeks this problem came and went then went away for good. One time I disconnected from shore power and the 12VDC went away. Cycling the 12VDC disconnect switch seemed to fix it. Went to start the generator today (I was on shore power) and the generator starter relay would only rattle like there was insufficient voltage. Voltage was good at the battery. Genset would start using the start assist button on the dash. The problem finally became permanent in that I could disconnect from shore power, attempt to start the genset and the load would "almost" kill the 12VDC. I never measured it but it would drop down below where anything would work except the disconnect switch would stay barely lit. So now I could troubleshoot the problem starting with the disconnect relay. Verified it good. Checked all connections on the battery and inverter. Noticed a ground connection on the frame of the rig behind the battery box. The copper was discolored like it had been hot. A bit of wiggling on the big copper wire (there was also half a dozen smaller wires connected to ground at this point) proved the crimp to be loose. Not the connection to ground, but the crimp itself was poorly made. Tightened the crimp and all is well. Whew, sure was glad to pin that one down! I really hate taking it in to get things worked on and while the problem was intermittent it would have been practically impossible to chase down. So one more thing to look for when you're chasing strange electrical problems.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

Glad you found the problem. Congrats now go have a cold one.[emoji481]
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Here's to you lx! Thanks!

BTW, I posted the wrong error message. It was E02 (undervoltage).