Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

Electrical Question 2004 21FB

I bought a used FB21 (2004) and everything was good. When I got the unit to the house I discovered that none of the receptacles on the door side provide power.

The restroom, kitchen, a/c, fridge, wall receptacle, and microwave all have power. It's only the three receptacles on the door side that are lacking. I've checked fuses and breakers, reset the GFI in the bathroom. I'm only 3 days into this adventure and they worked before I got it home so I assume it's me.

I'm not plugged into a 30 amp shore power yet, as that won't be installed until next week at my house, so I am using a heavy extension cord and adapter to the wall of my house to keep the fridge running.

Any thoughts or advice?
Big Old Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #2

Outlets in houses and RVs are daisy chained. The wire from the breaker goes to one then a second wire goes from it to the next one. So if you have a GFCI I would check that first as it is the most logical place to stop the power going on to the next ones. If not, try taking the one nearest the fuse box ( POWER OFF) and see if there is a loose wire on the back. If you have a tester and there is no power to those wires coming into the outlet check the rest. Other potential problems if you have checked the fuses or breakers are good is that the wiring on the fuse box came loose.

Mine had all the 12 volt grounds stuck through the holes in the grounding block and none tightened down. Yep, just laying there. Took a while to figure out.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #3

Maybe a ground is it but there is even more oddness. I used an outlet tester and all outlets test as good. I used the old voltmeter and it shows 118 volts but slowly loses voltage. Plugging something into (on the door side) the outlet gives a quick blink of life then nothing, even something like a cell phone charger.

Further snooping determined that the only outlets with problems are those serviced by the breaker marked "Utility Converter".
Big Old Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issues, outlets, power