Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Electrical question-Is it safe to run my A/C

I have a 15 amp plug mounted on the exterior of my house where my RV is stored the plug is wired into a 20AMP braker at the braker box; is it safe to run my A/C on this plug? Is the plug only putting out 15 AMPS or 20AMPS since it is on a 20AMP braker?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

You can do it, but it is not recommended. 20 amp plugs usually have the sideways slit in them and are generally on a dedicated circuit. A 15 amp plug can usually do up to 20 amps (if fed by 12 gauge), but again it is not recommended.

If you decide to do it, here are my recommendations -- turn off all breakers except the main and the AC and keep a close eye on your voltage. I have seen the converter alone pull 8 amps so the combo with the AC will put you way over. If you need your fridge, keep it on gas.

I highly recommended an EMS system if you want to do this on a regular basis. It will protect the camper if the voltage drops too low.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply; I would only need the A/C and a TV for the kids to watch just for driveway camping. I do have a surge guard that will trip if voltage gets below 103 volts and I have a volt meter plugged into an outlet in the RV to monitor voltage. I just wanted to make sure I would get close to 20 AMPS for the A/C upon start-up in order not to damage it.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

I think you will be ok then, but you may have a problem with the Television. If I remember right, I think it is on the same breaker as the converter. You might want to check that and you might have to be a little creative there.

When you try it (you know you will! ), just watch the voltage and check the plug regularly and see if it is getting hot.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #5

When you try it (you know you will! ), just watch the voltage and check the plug regularly and see if it is getting hot.[/QUOTE]

I am itching to; just want to make sure it will be safe and not damage anything. Thanks for your suggestions
Old 07-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Team

Since the surgeguard does not trip until down to 103 volts, Isn`t 104 volts low enough to damage the AC if run very long? Just a thought, that`s pretty low as is anything much below 110.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #7

I will have to keep a close watch on my voltmeter
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #8

My EMS is also at 103 volts. RVP says 103.5 volts and 126.5 volts is the limits. You are right, I would not want to run that long at that low of voltage. I think a short run that low will not hurt, but regularly running that low would not be good.

What I have seen in the real world is when an appliance such as the AC or water heater kick on, it either takes the voltage down below minimum and the EMS kicks off - or it does not. I have seen it ride around 109 volts, but have not seen it "ride" down around 103.

Having said that - I still keep a close eye on it. The EMS in my mind is designed protect those situations where you have significant drops. If I were to see my voltage riding that low, it would signal me to take some kind of action.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Personally (because I'm an electrician), I would not do it. You answered your own question when you said that you have a 15AMP receptacle on a 20A breaker.

Either, change out that breaker to a 15A, or buy yourself a 20A GFI receptacle to install in place of the 15A receptacle that you currently have. (only if you have 12 gauge wire from your panel to your receptacle. If it is 14 gauge, then you need to run a new wire, or install a 15A breaker MAX.

Checking to see if the receptacle is getting hot is a terrible idea. You can only see the face of the receptacle. You can't see the terminals where the wire is attached. You also can't see the inside of the receptacle. The last thing you want is a fire due to over loading a 15A receptacle that is on a 20A breaker.

If you were "only" running 5-10 Amps, I would be more likely to do it, but when you are running your AC, which you know is drawing 10-13 amps, and closer to 20A at start up, I would not be using the the setup you currently have.

Play safe.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
My EMS is also at 103 volts. RVP says 103.5 volts and 126.5 volts is the limits. You are right, I would not want to run that long at that low of voltage. I think a short run that low will not hurt, but regularly running that low would not be good.

I have seen it ride around 109 volts, but have not seen it "ride" down around 103.
I have a RV friend who is also a degreed Electrical Engineer. He has told me not to run any motor below 107 volts as long term damage begins occurring. All of the disssion above regarding 15 amp vs 20 amp and 14 vs 12 gage wire is right on target.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Personally (because I'm an electrician), I would not do it. You answered your own question when you said that you have a 15AMP receptacle on a 20A breaker.

Either, change out that breaker to a 15A, or buy yourself a 20A GFI receptacle to install in place of the 15A receptacle that you currently have. (only if you have 12 gauge wire from your panel to your receptacle. If it is 14 gauge, then you need to run a new wire, or install a 15A breaker MAX.

Checking to see if the receptacle is getting hot is a terrible idea. You can only see the face of the receptacle. You can't see the terminals where the wire is attached. You also can't see the inside of the receptacle. The last thing you want is a fire due to over loading a 15A receptacle that is on a 20A breaker.

If you were "only" running 5-10 Amps, I would be more likely to do it, but when you are running your AC, which you know is drawing 10-13 amps, and closer to 20A at start up, I would not be using the the setup you currently have.

Play safe.
Quantum - glad to know we have an electrician here! Here is what I have always understood regarding 15 and 20 amp outlets and circuits. Based on what you said, there is a flaw in my understanding. Let me know where I am wrong -- I really want to understand this properly.

I had researched and determined that 15 amp plugs are actually rated for 20 amp pass through and can actually handle 20 amps through the socket, but the plugs (5-15) are designed for devices that pull a max of 15 amps thus the two straight prongs.

I also understood that 20 amp plugs have the sideways blade, and NEC calls for them to have their own dedicated breaker.

If you look at any house around here, all the plug circuits are 20 amps 12-2 with standard 15 amp sockets.

Again - my understanding was that the 15 amp designation was for the device that was being plugged in and not the actual limit of the plug.

Anyway - where did I go wrong?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #12

My first mod was running 10gauge wire to the front of my house from the panel. 30 feet cost me about 75 dollars. I was in shock. The price of copper has really gone up. To me it was worth the time and money to do this. Nice to have the AC when working in the trailer.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Quantum - glad to know we have an electrician here! Here is what I have always understood regarding 15 and 20 amp outlets and circuits. Based on what you said, there is a flaw in my understanding. Let me know where I am wrong -- I really want to understand this properly.

I had researched and determined that 15 amp plugs are actually rated for 20 amp pass through and can actually handle 20 amps through the socket, but the plugs (5-15) are designed for devices that pull a max of 15 amps thus the two straight prongs.

I also understood that 20 amp plugs have the sideways blade, and NEC calls for them to have their own dedicated breaker.

If you look at any house around here, all the plug circuits are 20 amps 12-2 with standard 15 amp sockets.

Again - my understanding was that the 15 amp designation was for the device that was being plugged in and not the actual limit of the plug.

Anyway - where did I go wrong?

This is what I thought too; I am not an electrician and know little about it though other than you don'y play with as it can kill you.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

As a former electrician, you guys are correct for the most part. Here is a website I hope will help you and others understand a bit more about outlets, current and confirgurations.

http://www.frentzandsons.com/Hardwar...nfiguratio.htm

The rules that apply to installation of a GFCI outlet receptacle on a 15 or / and 20 amp rated circuit breaker are the same as the ones that apply to a regular outlet receptacle. Additionally, there may be some regulations applicable only to a particular area this GFCI is going to be installed, or your local jurisdiction requirements.

The wires (electrical conductors) between the 20 amp rated circuit breaker and this GFCI outlet receptacle (or any outlet receptacle) must be at least 20 amp rated (gauge 12). It doesn’t matter if the end device is 15 or 20 amps rated.
15 amps outlet receptacles are rated for 20 amps feed-through. In other words, they supposed to withstand the loads of a 20A rated device.

I know this is rather simple and not very informative, but good information.
Not all 15 amp outlets in a house have 15 amp breakers. The sockets themselves are capable of handling 20 amps, but designed for 15 amp products (Hair dryer, toasters, lamps, TV's, stereos etc.....).

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #15

Thanks OurJayco!

So what is your opinion on running A/C on a standard 20 amp circuit / 15 amp outlet? Is that something you would recommend against as well?

In theory (and I know not everything operates that way!) - my brain was thinking that if the circuit was rated for 20 amp and the plug could handle 20 amps - then there would be no issue. If the trailer decided it needed more than 20 amps, the breaker would simply blow (Not something you want to be doing all the time obviously). In theory I thought the wire run should be capable of handling 20 amps and maintaining the proper voltage. IF you use the right adapters, and go right to the trailer my thought was that you would be ok. My comment about heat was just as a secondary check -- if anything is heating up then you have a problem somewhere such as a bad connection, too small of wire, bad plug, etc.

Again - I want to understand if my assumptions are correct or where I am wrong. This is great discussion -- glad we have some knowledgeable folks here on this subject.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #16

When I understand feed through, it refers to the terminal screws on the back of the receptacle. Meaning, the contacts on the back of the receptacle can handle 20A.

Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) which is very similar to NEC, states that a 15A receptacle is good for 15A continuous load. Your local Home Depot sells 20A GFCI receptacles, just replace your 15A with the 20A, then you know you have a properly rated receptacle.

This is just my interpretation of the code and how I would do something for a customer. You can never be too safe when it comes to electrical...as you can't easily see problems with electricity.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #17

Don't forget the part about 12 gauge wire feeding the 20 amp recepticle, to safely handle the 20 amp draw.

Also, if the "run" current draw is less than 15 amp, but the starting surge is over 15 amp.......this is a marginal arrangement.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #18

If I am understanding correctly my best bet since I have a 20 AMP braker is to change to a 20 amp plug and I should be safe as long as my wire is at least 12 guage. Is this a safe assumption?

Thanks to all who replied for your help.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #19

I ran a dedicated 30amp circuit from my breaker box to an RV style 30amp outlet. I used 10g wire for it. 10 is hard to work with, maybe a little overkill, but, wanted it heavy duty.
It is mounted on the side of my house. I have not had any problems with it tripping. I don't always run my air but my fridge is always on and battery is charged.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #20

The starting surge for a compressor is going to be well above 20A, however, the duration of that surge is measured in milliseconds and is not long enough to even begin to cause overheating or for a circuit breaker, either 15A or 20A to detect. The pass-through capability of the outlet being the same for both ratings, if it is fed with 12ga wire and protected by a 20A breaker, it is perfectly safe to run an AC on that outlet. If the AC tries to draw more than 20A, the C/B will trip. Also, using an outlet rated for 15A is not going to reduce the amount of voltage available to that outlet. A 30A circuit would be better ust in case you wanted to run something else with the AC.
I install Marine AC equipment all the time using a 20A circuit and the 16K BTU units do fine on it, both at startup and normal running. The entire boat is protected by double pole 30A breakers, but the AC runs on 20.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote