Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2022, 06:01 PM   #81

Thanks ARoamer. There are several cables clearly marked red/black and I am quite aware where these go. However there is a black cable bound with the 2 positive cables. Hence I asked for a photo of someones battery set up (as per fom the dealership) so I can identify where it should go
TonyBowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #82

That one might be for the trailer breakaway switch. Trace it's path to see if it goes there.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:20 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
That one might be for the trailer breakaway switch. Trace it's path to see if it goes there.
It runs under the boards. Truly, a simple PHOTO would be Good
TonyBowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBowes View Post
It runs under the boards. Truly, a simple PHOTO would be Good
Just FYI, your camper was never sold in North America and there are only a few users here in the forums from AU, none of which I remember having a 21 Swan Outback RV. I doubt anyone here has a 2021 Swan Outback, which is why no one has provided you with a photo.

However, there are many of us here that have seen and understand a lot of Jayco's 12v common wiring setups, so perhaps if you shared a photo with what you have, that may be of value. Otherwise, you could perhaps trace \ follow the cables on yours or perhaps better yet, if your dealer is nearby, they likely could tell you easily enough especially if they have more of the same model on their lot. ~CA
Old 01-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #85

TV Outlet only working with Inverter

My 2018 Jayco Precept has been connected to shore power in storage. Went over to check on things and now my TV outlet has no power on shore power or generator. It does work when I turn on Inverter. I took off outlet cover to test power on wires and again no power when using shore power or generator. Only works with inverter. All other outlets work. Would a bad breaker allow the outlet to work using inverter? Need help! Thanks!

Steve
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:19 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
My 2018 Jayco Precept has been connected to shore power in storage. Went over to check on things and now my TV outlet has no power on shore power or generator. It does work when I turn on Inverter. I took off outlet cover to test power on wires and again no power when using shore power or generator. Only works with inverter. All other outlets work. Would a bad breaker allow the outlet to work using inverter? Need help! Thanks!

Steve
A "transfer switch" is used to select between inverter and shore/generator power. This switch can be internal to the inverter or external depending on inverter model. I would think that the shore/generator feed to the transfer switch would be on a circuit breaker.

I suggest finding out what inverter you have and seeing if it has a built-in transfer switch or not. Also, a quick test would be to cycle all of your circuit breakers.

If you can locate the inputs to the transfer switch, that would be a good place to measure the voltage. If you have shore/generator power going into the switch but not coming out, the switch would be suspect as being bad provided all connections were good. If there is no input to the switch then you would look upstream at the breakers and wire connections.

The shore power and generator will have their own transfer switch to select between the two. If you get power from both sources to your other outlets then that transfer switch is good. Your actual outlet appears good because you get inverter power to it.

Hope this makes sense.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:01 PM   #87

Help!

Everything works except for livingroom overhead lights, the bedroom slide and the LCI control panel is offline and not showing any info about the battery. Help please! All the fuses are fine in the panel. Breakers are fine. 2020 29.5bhok
Mandyr220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:19 AM   #88

@JimD thanks a million sir! Your guides are now part of my notebook valuable and miscellaneous hair and perhaps life-saving information!
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:34 PM   #89

Help...No power going to main panel

I tested the incoming cord and it's energized. I have no 120v- being fed by 30A cord- going into the main breaker. If i run the generator, I still have no power in the unit.
I guess my question is: Is there a reset between the power cord and the main panel? Can my transfer box be bad or reset? I do know some electrical but this has me stopped.
With the power off, should I go iin behind the wall of my storage unit and test the transfer box?
Any help would be appreciated.
ahill261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill261 View Post
I tested the incoming cord and it's energized. I have no 120v- being fed by 30A cord- going into the main breaker. If i run the generator, I still have no power in the unit.
I guess my question is: Is there a reset between the power cord and the main panel? Can my transfer box be bad or reset? I do know some electrical but this has me stopped.
With the power off, should I go iin behind the wall of my storage unit and test the transfer box?
Any help would be appreciated.
The common item for both power sources is the transfer switch. Best guess is that the problem is there possibly with a loose output wire since there are 2 separate inputs.

Unplug and leave the generator off. Pop the cover off the transfer switch and look for any burnt wire connections. Tighten all connections. With no power applied it is perfectly safe to poke around in there.

When power is applied you can measure the voltage coming in from either the power cord or generator. Just exercise caution.

Jim

Old 05-15-2023, 09:06 PM   #91

Great thread. Did you ever update the original document? I’d like to download the latest one out there. Thanks for all the knowledge!
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:25 PM   #92

I though they had a link to the second version. Anyway, here is the latest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 11 views)

Jim

Old 05-15-2023, 09:36 PM   #93

Excellent. Thanks Jim for putting in the time to do this. It helps so many folks!!

Appreciate it!!
fishinspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #94

Found the problem

Thanks for all your input. I just power tested my "line side" of my transfer box. No electric! My Pinnacle has a built-in surge protector feeding the shore power side of my transfer box. Had energy on input of surge protector but nothing coming out. Generator activated transfer switch and I had electric in rig. Just wanted to update you on progress.
ahill261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill261 View Post
Thanks for all your input. I just power tested my "line side" of my transfer box. No electric! My Pinnacle has a built-in surge protector feeding the shore power side of my transfer box. Had energy on input of surge protector but nothing coming out. Generator activated transfer switch and I had electric in rig. Just wanted to update you on progress.
Always appreciate the feedback!

Jim