Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

End of Boondocking - Putting in Power

We've owned our campsite for 29 years and have never had any amenities, nor have we needed any. The site is situated on 50 heavily wooded acres, with the main camp about 350 feet off the highway. Our old trailer was 100% propane. After upgrading to our new 2015 Jayco we bought a generator for the AC and Microwave, and a solar panel to keep the battery charged when we were not there.

Years ago I looked into running in a power line, but found it to out of our means at the time. A current estimate turmed out lower than I expected, so we decided to go ahead with it. I'm going to describe the plan to see if any of the experts here have any suggestions.

There is a utility pole on the road almost straight down from the trailer. A new pole would be installed on my property about 100 feet from the main pole. The line would be 100 amp service. From there, the line would go underground, down 24", and in a conduit. The line would terminate on a short pole, 3 feet from the trailer's shore cord. On this pole would be a breaker, followed by a 30 amp plug. This is a turnkey job, including removing all trees that would be in the way.

Anything missing? All comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
PA130018web.jpg  
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Sounds like plan. While you're at it, with 100amp available, I would include a main circuit panel and one or 2 additional power posts. One could be for a guest to set up at your property and another for exterior lighting and power to an outbuilding. Realize you seem to be wanting to maintain the off grid kind of atmostphere but some additional infrastructure while you're at it might make sence.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

X2
Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #4

Good ideas - already thought of.

No room for a guest so a second power pole would not be necessary. There will be a provision in the main breaker panel to plug in an extension cord, and that would be the extent of my needs in the outbuildings.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

I go with a 30 and 50 amp RV pedestal, you may upgrade someday.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

Just asking but is all this OK with county dept. Seems like I have heard of something like this not allowed at certain places. I know in our county here in Vriginia we are not allowed to live in a trailerhouse except at a qualified trailer court.

Parking RV's at home is allowed but as soon as you hook up the sewer, electric, and water then they become a trailer house...

I know of one deal where they wanted to setup a trailer while building their house and running in a power pole with electric on the pole like you are telling us about. Was turned down by the county...

Everything has to have county permits issued before proceeding

Just saying...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

If they are laying 100amp service, I Would build out the distribution panel with a 50, 30 and 20 amp outlets. ( RV campground style box )

99% of your cost is labor and pole to post cost for wire.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

My property is classified "mobile home" because I have a trailer parked there, and I don't even need a building permit to run electric.

It WILL need to be inspected before the utility company connects.

To say this is the boondocks is an understatement. Back in the old days when people bought camping / hunting property in my area using an RV was the norm because it wasn't taxed. Build a cabin and the assessment went up. I got away with it for several years, and then they changed the law. If the RV didn't move all year long, then it was considered permanent and the taxes went up.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

As others have suggested, I, too, would add 20A service. With a heavy-duty extension cord, you could run a space heater (inside), or electric grill/griddle outside. You really have a beautiful spot, there. Once you get the electrical service installed, I bet you'll be able to see heaven from it.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Good ideas - already thought of.

No room for a guest so a second power pole would not be necessary. There will be a provision in the main breaker panel to plug in an extension cord, and that would be the extent of my needs in the outbuildings.
Your property so your call, but 50 acres seems plenty big for the kids or a buddy to stop over for a few days. Going from no power to a gen to a plug in are big steps over 29 years, but with power and a new rv you might be spending more time. More time brings new needs and by out building, I meant a small storage shed for tools and toys.

Also if not moving for a year is the criteria for getting taxed, just hook it up and drag it off site for a day. Many state park have 2 week limits in their CG's but all you have to do is pull out for a day and then come back and all is good. Where I live all that is not a factor and many folks buy a couple acres and set up a campsite so to speak and use it as a seasonal vacation spot. Most have power to a small shack and a small covered pavalian with a picnic table. The "portable" building houses everything from the storage I mentioned above to a kitchenette w/ sink. Not suggesting you build a small village, but even hermits can learn to love a few extras over time.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

The 20 amp plug is in the specs now.

Oh, we can see heaven now. Our camp is named "Starry Mountain". The mountain next to us is the highest peak in the 8 counties of Western NY. The nearest town (a sleepy little village) is 6 miles away. At night, when its dark, its reallll dark.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I go with a 30 and 50 amp RV pedestal, you may upgrade someday.
+1; That's exactly what I was thinking. Why not put 50A service in since you're doing it anyway, may as well have the option for the minimal increase in cost.

Even better, you could put in a post just like at a CG; 50A, 30A, and a duplex 20A, and perhaps even a COAX cable port for a "someday" contingency.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Your property so your call, but 50 acres seems plenty big for the kids or a buddy to stop over for a few days. Going from no power to a gen to a plug in are big steps over 29 years, but with power and a new rv you might be spending more time. More time brings new needs and by out building, I meant a small storage shed for tools and toys.

Also if not moving for a year is the criteria for getting taxed, just hook it up and drag it off site for a day. Many state park have 2 week limits in their CG's but all you have to do is pull out for a day and then come back and all is good. Where I live all that is not a factor and many folks buy a couple acres and set up a campsite so to speak and use it as a seasonal vacation spot. Most have power to a small shack and a small covered pavalian with a picnic table. The "portable" building houses everything from the storage I mentioned above to a kitchenette w/ sink. Not suggesting you build a small village, but even hermits can learn to love a few extras over time.
We have 3 sites and 2 driveways on the property. Both our sons have their own trailers and sites. The power is going to the base camp (Mom & Dad's). Because of the distances between them (and on 2 sides of the road), it would not be feasible to extend this plan to the other trailers. We have the pond, the rifle range, etc., so that's where we all congregate.

With the size of the site, driveway access, tree encroachment, etc. after we measured we felt that the 195 SLX was about the biggest trailer we could get in and be able to maneuver. So, I think we would never need a 50 amp service. And if we did, all we would need to do is change the box since the wire will already be there.

Our Jayco is on blocks - no way I'm moving it. The extra taxes are less than $100 a year, so there is no economic advantage anyway.

We already have 3 outbuildings. I don't see any need to power them with anything other than the extension cord that we will have.

I'm on my 9th week of retirement, which is my incentive for improvements now. We sure will be spending more time here. Having a job was a real drag.....LOL.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #14

Sounds like a sweet set up. The only thing I have to add is if you find yourself upgrading to a 50 amp service for a TT, you will also have to upgrade to a larger wire size to handle the higher load.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
Sounds like a sweet set up. The only thing I have to add is if you find yourself upgrading to a 50 amp service for a TT, you will also have to upgrade to a larger wire size to handle the higher load.
It will be 100 amp service to the main panel. The 30 amp box will be below it on the same post.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #16

Have a great retirement. I'm on year 12 and have loved the life of retirement. Took wife a while to get use to it and to not get overly involved. Our property [home] is in the middle of 35 acres of pretty rough land and a 9 acre cleared field. Houseboat is 2 miles down the road for use on Dale Hollow lake [600+ miles of shoreline] and the White Hawk is used for 2 or 3 trips each year while serving as a mancave out back by the barn. Only have 30amp service to the RV so you'll be fine at your setup.

Retirement is not where your are or what you do, its being where you want, when you want, and doing what you want when ever you feel like doing it. And just as important, its Not doing what you don't want to do and not being forced to go where you don't want to be. Short of a grand graduating from college [10+ years down the road] or a quick trip back to Indy for Christmas with family, its hard to move me away from home base.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #17
Site Team

Enjoy! I retired 10/31/1991. Fitting date. Never looked back.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #18
Site Team

Your original post asked, Anything missing. You never mentioned where your sewer goes. That would be required also to really end boon docking.

I know when you have large rural property, it is not as large a problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Your original post asked, Anything missing. You never mentioned where your sewer goes. That would be required also to really end boon docking.

I know when you have large rural property, it is not as large a problem.
And how's the groundwater access for wells in your area? That would complete the equation.

Or would improvements like septic and well increase property taxes too much?
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #20

We have a natural spring that flows good clean water all year round. Transferring to the fresh water tank is no problem at all. The marine toilet in one of the outbuildings has served us well since 1986.