Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2024, 07:24 PM   #1

Question Engine Battery Connections

I have a 2019 Jayco Redhawk SE 22C. The engine battery was replaced last year right before I purchased this unit from the original owner. There is an extra line meant to connect to the battery terminal that was left disconnected because it didn’t fit over the battery terminal screw on the new battery. Can someone tell me what this disconnected line is for? It is a red cable inside the black hose covering. (See arrows in picture attached)

It was disconnected when I bought it and everything seems to work fine…
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0412.jpg  
janellc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:17 AM   #2

It's probably a shot in the dark unless it's someone with that exact unit, but by the size of that cable I would think it's possibly a charging cable for the house batteries while driving, or the cable to allow the house batteries to start the RV if the engine battery dies. One thing for sure is whoever replaced the battery put the wrong one in. I'd be looking at getting the correct one with the terminals swapped so you can get that positive wire hooked back up.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
One thing for sure is whoever replaced the battery put the wrong one in. I.
It's a Chevy chassis, so the side terminal battery would be the correct one.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:41 AM   #4

I would purchase these, install, and then re-attach the cable(s). ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Old 04-07-2024, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's a Chevy chassis, so the side terminal battery would be the correct one.
If you read my post properly, I never mentioned the side post being the issue. It's the orientation of the positive and negative. They do come in 2 styles as different GM vehicles had the positive and negatives on different sides. Whoever swapped the batteries probably just bought the cheapest that had side posts and luckily the main cables reached but still isn't the correct battery for that application.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
If you read my post properly, I never mentioned the side post being the issue. It's the orientation of the positive and negative. They do come in 2 styles as different GM vehicles had the positive and negatives on different sides. Whoever swapped the batteries probably just bought the cheapest that had side posts and luckily the main cables reached but still isn't the correct battery for that application.
FYI, while your comment is true for top post batteries, side post batteries always have the positive on the left when facing the terminals. ~CA
Old 04-07-2024, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
FYI, while your comment is true for top post batteries, side post batteries always have the positive on the left when facing the terminals. ~CA
Maybe the majority are but I have personally run into it that there are side post with the positive on the right.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:53 AM   #8

Is it certain that the wire that is unhooked needs to go on the positive side? I assume you say so because the cord is red?
Old 04-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #9

The house batteries do charge when engine is running based on testing. I have not tested the emergency start pulling from the house batteries, so maybe it's for that? How would I test for that? Disconnect one of the terminals on the cab battery and then try the emergency start button?
Old 04-07-2024, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Maybe the majority are but I have personally run into it that there are side post with the positive on the right.
Perhaps what you (mavrick0) saw is one where someone reversed the protective caps and placed the red protective cap on the right. No manufacture makes side terminal vehicle batteries with positive on the right. I caveat that as perhaps some dual post batteries could be that way or some specialty battery that I am not aware of. Not that I care to debate this really, as I don't know what you saw, but you could attempt to find even one side terminal battery sold at any auto parts stores online and you will find what I am saying is correct.

In particular to the OP's (janellc1) question, while I am not sure what the cable(s) is used for, I would suggest to follow it as far as possible in an effort to find out, I would discount the idea that the wrong battery is installed. However, it does appear that the large cable is red which commonly means it is for a connection to the positive terminal, and in that case the battery may be installed opposite as what it should. I would check and see if that is a possibility by seeing if the other cables are long enough to reach if the battery was turned 180 degrees. Without any details, I suspect that cable feeds into the aux start solenoid and used for both aux start and charging the chassis battery(s) but it certainly could be intended for almost anything (levelers, dc2dc charger, lights, etc).

I would not disconnect the battery and then try the emergency start button, as that circuit (the aux start circuit) isn't designed to carry as much current as the starter required, it is more used for a "boost" only and without a chassis battery connected you could damage the alternator and other electrical components when the button is released and modern vehicles require a battery connected to stabilize the voltage (as seen from the alternator's voltage regulator).

Do you happen to have a Voltage Ohm meter? (VOM) If not and if you can't follow the cables, then you should purchase one. In fact, if you don't have one you should purchase one anyway as it is very hard to troubleshoot any electrical issue you may encounter now and in the future without having a meter. ~CA

Also, just a quick question, have you verified that there is only one disconnected cable in the area and if there is any other location nearby (like a solenoid/relay) where the cable may have been attached?
Old 04-07-2024, 12:30 PM   #11

Maybe it doesn't go to the battery.... was hoping someone else with the same RV might be able to shed some light on it. Here is another picture with the disconnected cable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0426.jpg  
Old 04-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellc1 View Post
Maybe it doesn't go to the battery.... was hoping someone else with the same RV might be able to shed some light on it. Here is another picture with the disconnected cable.
Is the other side shiny, like it had a nut on it?. I may just be a cable that GM provides for other up fitters to use on other applications. Bus, life squad etc.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:14 PM   #13

It is hard to see (for me) but check the terminals on the device that I have circled in RED. I believe that is the solenoid I was mentioning and where the cable likely should be connected.

If you can take a close picture of that area, and remove the caps exposing the connection studs on that solenoid (if it is indeed the solenoid) that may be very helpful. Also, if that is where it goes, I would again suggest using a meter (if you have one) prior to connecting it, even if you see a stud there that is missing a cable, as there may be a reason the previous owner disconnected it. ~CA

Another observation as I looked more closely, the device that looks like a LEGO brick is likely a self-resetting breaker, and for the positive connection, which appears to be tucked under the NEGACTIVE cable, if so, that would likely be an incorrect connection as well and instead would go to the solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 04-17-2024, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellc1 View Post
Is it possible that has something to do with a trailer hitch... on My rig i needed to connect extra wires in order to have power at the hitch connection. follow the wire to see if it goes to a fuse box or under the chassis towards the back of the rig
Just thinking
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:15 PM   #15

I have a 2021 22c. Chevy had done a recall on a battery cable routing issue. The dealer routed a new cable and connected to the battery. He abandoned the old cable in place. If you had a recall done for the same issue, you may be looking at the old abandoned cable.
Retired
whowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:40 AM   #16

Battery connection Redhawk

I have a '21 model Redhawk 27N SE, Chevy chassis. My original battery has screw mount terminals on top of the battery. When I recently connected mine for summer, I missed a cable, and the generator was not receiving power. Found the one red cable still not connected, put it on and wallah! Generator fired right up! Mine is a one battery setup with the 6.6 gas engine.
SammyG1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery connections, redhawk 22c