Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Entertainment System battery draw

Having just took delivery of our new TT in January, I will state first that we love the new rig. So far everything is a far cry from the rig I owned over ten years ago. However, there is one aspect I do not like. Perhaps I am missing something but here goes.
The entertainment system (stereo/CD/DVD player) has a constant power draw. Meaning, even when turned off, there is a red LED light on the power button, and the LCD screen displays the time and has a faint blue background light. Now I know this requires power. Originally, when I brought the rig home and parked it (since it is fully winterized). I did not disconnect the batteries, (it has two large deep cycle), and I did not plug it into shore power. I did this based on recommendations from the dealership, since they informed me and showed me they utilize small size standard car batteries while the new RV's sit on the lot. I figure if they can handle it, two full size deep cycle batteries should be good for a few months.
Well, I went out couple of days ago to put away a few more supplies, and the batteries are dead. We have been having a small cold snap for a few days (6 below zero today) and I know cold temperatures can weaken a battery extremely fast. Needless to say, I plugged the rig in to shore power now.

My question is this: is there a way to shut power off to the entertainment system completely, without having to disconnect the batteries?

After all the entire rig is outfitted with LED lights and everything seems built for low power usage, but I am thinking, even while camping (I like camping in out of the way places without hook ups), I should be able to cancel power to the entertainment system completely, like when I am not in the trailer or at night when we are sleeping. During extended camping trips every little bit of power savings helps.

Thanks in advance
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Battery Disconnect Switch

There are a few items that draw from your battery while it is not plugged in:
CO Alarm
Fridge Low Voltage Circuit
and the Radio

Best solution is add a battery cutoff switch between the battery and the TT's low voltage control panel. This way when you are not connected to any shore power you can disconnect the batteries from the TT's constant load.

Or pull the main battery 30 amp fuse located by the battery box.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Yup and its an easy $5 fix. Remove the radio from the cabinet by removing the 4 screws holding it in place. Carefully pull it forward far enough to locate the red [12V] power wire. Clip this wire a few inches back from the unit. Oops forgot to tell you to disconnect the battery first. Get a 12V toggle switch at any auto supply store. Most of them mount thru a 1/2 hole drilled thru the cabinet. Choose a location where it won't be bumped, I chose on the side of the cabinet. Now connect both ends of the red wire [you might have to wire in some extensions to reach the switch, but I used crimped wire connectors to complete the installation.

Now when you store your RV or when you're dry camping and not using the radio, just flip the switch off and no more drain on the battery.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #4

Problem with a battery disconnect is that it disconnects the battery. Is that really something you want to do other than for a storage situation. When you are dry camping you are most likely using the fridge [requires 12V even when on gas] and the CO detector. A cut off is really only practical for storage.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post

Now when you store your RV or when you're dry camping and not using the radio, just flip the switch off and no more drain on the battery.
That is a good fix for the radio, but the fridge and the CO alarm will still connected and will kill the battery in due time. I would put the radio switch in, as that radio light at night is ANNOYING!!!

Just my thoughts,

Don

Sorry Bassdogs our posts were passing each other electronically
Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

Congrats on the new TT. We have the same model and love it.

I noticed the same thing when we first got ours and noticed that the 2 Group 24 batteries were dead after just 2 weeks in storage. Fortunately the electric jack works if the tow vehicle is connected.

I had the dealership install a marine disconnect switch so I can disconnect the batteries when in storage. Someone on this forum mentioned that the batteries should last 4 to 5 months when disconnected.

By the way, did your TT come with a 120 Volt 32" Jensen TV and iRV6500BT head unit? I just installed a 12 Volt 32" Jensen and will eventually replace the bottom-of-the-line head unit.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Thanks again to all.
Bassdogs: I was thinking of installing a simple toggle switch to turn off power to the radio unit.

AKGperson: A Marine cuttoff switch is a good idea. I may take that step. Though my intention next winter is to remove the batteries completely and store them in my garage. Yes our TT came with the same 120V TV. We are doing the same replacing it with a 12 volt Jensen.

Mustang65: I had forgotten about the CO2 alarm and refrigerator drawing their little bit of power.

As I mentioned, next winters storage will have me removing the batteries for storage in my garage. If I do any hunts etc. during the winter I will adjust accordingly. As of right now, the rig is plugged in to shore power. Hopefully, the batteries charging and ability to hold a charge have not been affected by being drained completely and combined with the cold temps.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

Here is a photo of the disconnect switch.

Ken

Old 03-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #9

We purchased the 12 Volt Jensen 32" LED from Camping World while it was on sale for $397. I installed it last weekend and the picture is impressive even with it connected to the head unit with composite cables.

I'm currently installing a fully articulating mounting bracket so we can watch it while setting in the dinette. I also found a very small BluRay player that just barely fits in the left drawer below the TV. It's 120 Volt so I'm looking for a small pure sine wave inverter to power it while dry camping during quiet hours.

Ken

Old 03-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
I did not disconnect the batteries, (it has two large deep cycle), and I did not plug it into shore power. I did this based on recommendations from the dealership, since they informed me and showed me they utilize small size standard car batteries while the new RV's sit on the lot.
If you do not mind I have a few questions.

What is the Make/Model/Ahr rating on the batteries that the dealer installed? Also, once you know the answer to the first question look up how to find the batteries manufacture dates (on the manufactures website or email their support group. I would like to know how close they are to each other.

Thanks, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new TT and welcome to the forum.

Don
Old 03-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
We purchased the 12 Volt Jensen 32" LED from Camping World while it was on sale for $397. I installed it last weekend and the picture is impressive even with it connected to the head unit with composite cables.

I'm currently installing a fully articulating mounting bracket so we can watch it while setting in the dinette. I also found a very small BluRay player that just barely fits in the left drawer below the TV. It's 120 Volt so I'm looking for a small pure sine wave inverter to power it while dry camping during quiet hours.

Ken
Hey Ken, do you mind sharing the info on the blu ray player?

Thanks,
Jeremy
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #12

We also bought a Roku Stick that will plug directly into one of the TV's HDMI ports so we can watch streaming video over Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #13

Jeremy, it is an LG BP-340. Here it is on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics.../dp/B00IAELTKI

You'll need to buy an HDMI cable with a 90 degree connector on one end to make it fit. I temporarily hooked it up to the 12 Volt Jensen TV and was very pleased with the picture quality.

By the way, I just read some of the reviews on Amazon and it appears it has problems with Netflix. That doesn't brother me because we will be streaming Netflix through the Roku Stick.

Bottom Line - we bought it because of the size.

Ken

Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #14

Thanks Ken...
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

Just pull the fuse at the battery when not using the RV.. much easier and cheaper than installing a switch..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #16

Cheaper, yes - easier, no. It's a lot easier to flip a disconnect switch than to remove the battery case strap, remove the cover, remove the fuse, reinstall the cover, and reinstall the strap. One vs five steps. Plus, I don't like removing and reinstalling anything that is not meant to be routinely removed & reinstalled.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #17

Hmmm, my fuse is outside my battery box and very easy to get to. However, I am still going to install a switch. I don't mind the expense if it makes sense to ensure things are hassle free.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Having just took delivery of our new TT in January, I will state first that we love the new rig. So far everything is a far cry from the rig I owned over ten years ago. However, there is one aspect I do not like. Perhaps I am missing something but here goes.
The entertainment system (stereo/CD/DVD player) has a constant power draw. Meaning, even when turned off, there is a red LED light on the power button, and the LCD screen displays the time and has a faint blue background light. Now I know this requires power. Originally, when I brought the rig home and parked it (since it is fully winterized). I did not disconnect the batteries, (it has two large deep cycle), and I did not plug it into shore power. I did this based on recommendations from the dealership, since they informed me and showed me they utilize small size standard car batteries while the new RV's sit on the lot. I figure if they can handle it, two full size deep cycle batteries should be good for a few months.
Well, I went out couple of days ago to put away a few more supplies, and the batteries are dead. We have been having a small cold snap for a few days (6 below zero today) and I know cold temperatures can weaken a battery extremely fast. Needless to say, I plugged the rig in to shore power now.

My question is this: is there a way to shut power off to the entertainment system completely, without having to disconnect the batteries?

After all the entire rig is outfitted with LED lights and everything seems built for low power usage, but I am thinking, even while camping (I like camping in out of the way places without hook ups), I should be able to cancel power to the entertainment system completely, like when I am not in the trailer or at night when we are sleeping. During extended camping trips every little bit of power savings helps.

Thanks in advance
if you don't use radio much I would just pull fuse for it
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote