Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Entrance Step Possessed

Was driving in extremely wet and windy weather today in Maine and at a rest stop the entrance step started extending and retracting without the door being opened or the engine being started. I tried flipping the power step button from on to off. The step continued to extend and retract.
Made it to NH and as I was backing into the site in the rain, the step started extending and retracting again until I turned off the engine.
I’m looking for any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this issue. I cleaned off the contacts at the base of the screen door. Is there a fuse I can pull to keep the step from operating while driving?

2018 Melbourne
TRNewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #2

Still looking through available documentation to find the fuse associated with the step. My guess at this point are one of the following #10, #11, or #12. Is there any available documentation for fuses in my RV and or specifically for these three fuses?
Attached Thumbnails
B3F012DF-CF1E-4DB1-AE08-FC05B182960D.jpg  
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

I think you have a short in the system or a bad switch that is effectively shorting from open to closed. Take the switch out and use a jumper to open and close it a few times. If the gremlin goes away, get a new switch.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #4

Water got in somewhere. You mentioned driving through heavy rain with wind. Hope that switch is it. Or there is a chafe in a wire somewhere causing you problems.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

Not sure what type of switch your rig uses but on mine it is a magnet one that is attached to the screen door.

The first test I would try is to open the door and see if it continues to cycle by itself. If it does, I would locate the switch and cut the wire to see if it stops. Cut the wire so you can splice it back together. If the problem stops, replace the switch.

If the cycling stops when the door is open, see what causes the switch to actuate. If it is magnetic see if the magnet is in a good position so it is very close to the switch it controls when the door is closed. If it is a non-magnetic switch, see what is used to activate the switch and verify it is actually hitting the switch.

It is also possible there is a problem inside the motor. There probably is a sensor/switch in there that tells the motor to shut off when it reaches its set position. If that switch gets weird, the motor may not realize that it has reached its position and just keep running.

If all else fails, an exorcism may be warranted.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #6

I’ve seen this before you need this guy
Attached Thumbnails
F3D1FA2A-510A-471B-BDBA-FDF2A78893DD.jpeg  
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

A dry day today and the step is working properly. I dried off the sensor/magnet before heading out today. I will hold off on the exorcism for now.