Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

exerience/opinions go power solar elite package?

Our new 284bhbe is scheduled to come off the line the 12th and I'm looking at adding solar to this trailer. The larger water tanks were a big part of going with this model and hopefully we can get off the grid a bit more.

Does anyone have any experience with the Go Power Solar system? I'm looking at the elite package as Go Power is one of the companies suggested through Jayco's 'solar ready' notes.

Solar Elite Charging System (320 watts) | Go Power!

Right now going with two lifeline GPL-31T batteries and will look to expand that to 4 once I prove things out.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried searching but didn't find much of anything.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #2

Go Power gets the nod from Jayco because they GIVE them the parts for the solar ready kit.. Shop around for kits.. they all work well and maybe join the solar group on here..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Thanks, where's the group at? Is it just the boondocking forum or something different specific to solar?

I spent a bunch of time doing some extra reading and ended up going with panels from renogy, a morningstar mppt controller, and a bunch of other wiring parts. I'll give this all a go and if it goes well add on a couple more batteries, panels, and add on an inverter at that point.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Here's your link to the solar power group. It's part of the social groups under community.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...ith+solar.html
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
....and ended up going with panels from renogy, a morningstar mppt controller, and a bunch of other wiring parts. I'll give this all a go and if it goes well add on a couple more batteries, panels, and add on an inverter at that point.

Renogy is a good choice, Morningstar is another good choice...

What SOLAR panels did you get? Total watts? Morningstar 45 or 60 MPPT? What batteries are you looking at?

We are all interested...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

I got a pair of renogy's 100W monocrystaline panels. I wanted to get their eclipse models, but they're out of stock and I figure this is ok to start with. I've got two lifeline GPL-31T batteries, 105AH each. I got the AGM because I can fit two of these in my torklift battery box, but I want to expand the system to 4 batteries eventually and I'll probably have to store them in the front trailer storage to be honest, and I didn't want to deal with a gassing problem. The morningstar is the 45amp mppt model.

My goal is to do this in two stages. First, to just get the panels, batteries, controller going and have it able to restore the basic trailer functions each day hopefully.

If this goes well, then later I'll add another two panels, two more batteries, and get an inverter for running other appliance/etc beyond the trailer basics of lights/fans/furnace fan, etc.

With the morningstar it says it can max at 600W so I should be able to to up to 6 panels, which should be more than enough for my needs I believe.

We'll see. I'm getting all the parts together and the trailer is supposed to come off the line the 11th of this month. I'll be having my dealer help me get things all connected up, but I want to know how it works and pick the parts that go into it.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
but I want to expand the system to 4 batteries eventually.
One thing, purchase all your batteries together and install them together. The mfr dates should be within 30 days of each other, or you may end up with them sitting on a shelf at the dealer not being properly charged.

You need to install them together... if you buy 2 batteries now, and install them and buy 2 more batteries in a few months the new batteries internals will not be the same and the older batteries will draw down the newer batteries. It has to do with the internal resistance of the batteries. Charging requirements of the old/new batteries not be identical possibly causing the batteries to under charge/or slightly over charge. If at all possible get them all together.

Check the mfr date on your new batteries to see when they were mfrd.

Wire length/gauge between batteries will be critical to ensure all batteries are equal.

Make sure all are same mfr/model/Ah also.

Don
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I'll be having my dealer help me get things all connected up, but I want to know how it works and pick the parts that go into it.
I hope your NOT talking about an RV dealer for installing your system... that would be like going to a lawnmower engine rebuilder to rebuilt a Pratt & Whitney jet engine, not a good move. You will not be happy. Ask them, and I bet they say NO PROBLEM we can do this... they are inexperienced in SOLAR, batteries and wiring!! Ask to see some of their completed jobs and ask to talk to customers,. Ask them how many they have done, size of systems and have them show the actual receipts showing solar installs...

Also, when you get the wiring done go by the wiring diagrams in my BATTERY ALBUM. These are the examples on how you need to wire multiple batteries for best performance. It also give you how the amps of each connection differ. Read the 3 pages entitled Smart Gauge. Also make sure all your cable lug ends are put on using a compression tool (a hydraulic crimper) especially if using the fine wire cables. Also use shrink wrap tubing on the ends.

Don