Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Extra fuses

Hey Folks,
Loooking to get a pile of back up fuses for when I do something stupid and am just wondering if I should just get the multi-pack from China for 6 bucks or get the multipack from my local auto shop for 50? Is there a difference in quality?
Thanks! Tim
Old 07-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #2

There is a difference in quality in some fuses. I would try to get the Buss brand. In the end though a fuse is just an over current device to protect your gear. Just don't ever replace a fuse with one that has a higher current rating than the OEM suggested rating.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

I picked up a pack of ATC 30 amp fuses for the fuse connected to the battery, then looked at the converter/power center and made a list of what was in there and picked up a pack of each size. In my case it was a pack of ATC 40 & 15 amp fuses. $7.50 total at autozone. If you get the multipack, you may not need some of the fuses in that pack
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Certainly you should carry a spare fuse. I don't think you need to spend 50$ to get a quality fuse. Something's not right there.

A fuse is a safety device to protect your wiring and components from damage. I would want a reputable brand and not something unknown if it were me.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #5

I would get a pack of each size you need. I store the fuses in a large Tic Tac container. For my htt 15 and 30 amp fuses are primary required. However there are hidden fuses around. For example open the refrigerator access and you'll see the frig has a small 1 or 2 amp fuse. I have looked for them but have not found them locally. So I do not have them with me. But if I blow that fuse, I expect I have a serious issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

I bought a couple spare fuses for both my TT & TV. I keep them in one of those plastic travel soap bar containers in the glovebox of the TV. They are always there if needed. The fuse pulling tool fits in the container also and has come in handy.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would get a pack of each size you need. I store the fuses in a large Tic Tac container. For my htt 15 and 30 amp fuses are primary required. However there are hidden fuses around. For example open the refrigerator access and you'll see the frig has a small 1 or 2 amp fuse. I have looked for them but have not found them locally. So I do not have them with me. But if I blow that fuse, I expect I have a serious issue.
Are the 1-2 amp the small round glass fuses? If so you can get them from radio shack if you can still find a store that is open. A good electric supply place, not the big box types, should have the fuses or be able to order them.

If your blowing fuses you really need to find the root cause of the problem rather than just replacing the fuse. Fuses rarely blow without a over current condition or grounded energized wire.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote