Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

Feelings on Torklift Solar Locking Batt Box

I got an idea from reading a different thread where the guy recommended to another member the Torklift solar locking battery box as a possible solution to his battery issues.
I have a brand new 2020 224bh and this just might be the solution to 2 of my concerns: Possible dead battery from being stored (I have to store mine off site) and stolen batteries. I also think I'd like to get a 2nd battery and this would secure them both with a trickle charge.

Anybody have any experience with this battery box?

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Box...TLA7708RS.html

Thank you
KathleenOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

I've been storing various TT and PUPs for over fifteen years and have never had a battery stolen. Looking around the storage facility the propane tanks would be more profitable to steal.

The solar is nice, but you have to analyze how much sun the battery box will receive each day. Your batteries will be between your TT and the propane tanks. With all that shade it doesn't seem like the trickle charge from the tiny solar panel will be enough to keep your battery charged.

Finally the battery box is over 8" wide. Measure the distance where your battery mounts, mine is less than 8" wide.

So skipping the solar for a moment there was a thread here from a couple years ago. Basically to deter theft someone made a cage from stainless steel that they could lock their battery into.

Even simpler is this
Old 01-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

Several years back several batteries went missing at my storage lot. Mine did not but the guy 2 pads away had his taken. IIRC 25 were taken. Turns out a “former” employee of a yard service that stored equipment in the lot decided everybody owed him something.
I took the hint and have taken mine home since then. I have a lock on the propane tanks and have had no problems with them taking a walk-about. The lock wouldn’t be hard to defeat, it’s mostly there to make me feel better.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrkabc