Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Unhappy First official Maiden Vogage

Hello Friends:

Last weekend I decided to officially go camping and I almost cancelled the trip because of a ground issue with my Whitehawk.

In a post I wrote few weeks ago, I found that the jack was blowing a fuse.

Last Friday I was checking all the turn lights were working before the trip and noticed that none of them work with the exception of the running lights. I did not have left, right stop and backup light, plus it felt that the brake controller was not responding.

The place was not far, so I took the risk of leaving and using the park light to keep other drivers aware that I was stopping.

Next day, I took my truck to the nearest Ford dealership and (of course) they already point the finger to the rv.

They did find that fuse 73 was blown. So they replaced it and when I went back to the campground, I connected the trailer and immediately the fuse in my truck was blown again.

Went to Pepboys and got few more fuses, changed it and before leaving the next morning, the lights started to work for a second or two then the fuse went back again.

I already made an appointment at the dealership to drop the unit to be check and contacted Jayco via email to let them know that there is an possible issue with the unit hoping that it can facilitate any claim or work order that the dealership might need from them.

Has anyone experiencing these problems with a recent unit?

I just hope that this is just a small short circuit issue and not the truck. I will hate to be back and forth between dealership trying to resolve who is right and wrong.
orlstgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #2

I would think if you replaced the fuse in the truck and all of the lights work without being connected to the camper, the problem is either in the camper or the connection to the camper. I had a wire that had rubbed in a cargo trailer that would short out and blow the fuse in the truck. It was easy to find! In fact, I isolated each wire to trailer lights and by process of elimination, found it.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

Congrats on the maiden voyage

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

If you want to test the TT 7 Pin plug yourself - you can do so via the methods in this video....when the test fuse blows, you have narrowed down the short and can start tracing wiring.

Good Luck

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote