Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #1

Question First time on roof... Best procedure?

My trailer is hurricane tied down/permanent installation on an RV lot in Flordia. The PO did the all over roll on white seal in December.

* I will be closing slides and closing up trailer in the off season. The trailer will be exposed to the blazing florida sun all summer.

Tomorrow I will inspect the seals around roof vents etc. My previous experience is with a fiberglass truck camper... So this type of roof & maintenance is a new chapter for me.

1. Can I walk on the roof without comprising the roof?
2. Is there a site/link wherein I can get info on best Maintenance practices? (Roll on product, seals etc)
3. How do I maintain the slides as far as seals and avoiding future leaks?

All tips & recommendations appreciated!

Zerna.
zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

#1 What RV do you have? Jayco has advertised their roof as walkable for quite some time now, but without knowing what you have, we can't tell answer you.

#2 Refer to the manufacturer for best maintenance. Most rubber roof manufacturers state to simply clean with soap and water and inspect the caulk. All of the products and white seal and all that aren't recommended. The best thing you can do is get the rubber out of the sun and keep rain, dirt, bird droppings off the rubber membrane

#3 Use an approved RV Seal conditioner to spray on the gaskets. Make sure the roof of the slide doesn't have any branches or excessive dirt that will rip a seal or tear the rubber.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

If there is a factory installed ladder at the back, then yes, it's made for occasional roof access for just such maintenance activities.

If no ladder, it may not be, so, you can use a long plank ( 2x8 ) to walk on. This will distribute your weight on the roof system.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zernalaw View Post
My trailer is hurricane tied down/permanent installation on an RV lot in Flordia. The PO did the all over roll on white seal in December.

* I will be closing slides and closing up trailer in the off season. The trailer will be exposed to the blazing florida sun all summer.

Tomorrow I will inspect the seals around roof vents etc. My previous experience is with a fiberglass truck camper... So this type of roof & maintenance is a new chapter for me.

1. Can I walk on the roof without comprising the roof?
2. Is there a site/link wherein I can get info on best Maintenance practices? (Roll on product, seals etc)
3. How do I maintain the slides as far as seals and avoiding future leaks?

All tips & recommendations appreciated!

Zerna.
You may want to contact Jayco with your model number and VIN and ask them about walking on the roof. On mine, it's o.k. to walk on the roof but not advised for the slide out roofs. On maintenance, I would suggest doing an internet UTube search on RV roof maintenance. There's lots of stuff out there and as always, a picture is worth a thousand words . Good luck!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #5

Thank u for the reply.

I have a 322 FKS. It does not have a factory roof ladder.

In the summer the trailer slides will be in. The trailer roof will be exposed to Flordia sun and rain all summer.

Zerna.
zernalaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Assuming you have an EPDM roof...

This is the link/source of the selected info.

Material Questions | EPDM Roofing Association

You can scroll down there to read all the information.

4. HOW CAN THE PERFORMANCE OF EPDM BE GAUGED OVER THE LAST 40 YEARS?
With over 1 billion square feet of membrane installed worldwide, EPDM has established itself as the membrane for all climatic conditions. This is supported by various laboratory studies and actual field installations. This excellent track record is the result of unique and unmatched physical characteristics:
* EPDM has superior resistance to UV (ultraviolet) radiation
* EPDM has unmatched resistance to thermal shock
* EPDM exhibits superior resistance to cyclic fatigue
* EPDM has superior resistance to hail damage
* EPDM will not become brittle and will not shatter due to low temperature flexibility

8. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACK EPDM AND WHITE EPDM MEMBRANE?
In addition to the oils and the polymers used to make an EPDM membrane, another ingredient is added to the mix to enhance UV resistance. In the case of a black membrane, carbon black is added, which converts UV rays into heat. With white membrane, in lieu of carbon black, titanium dioxide is typically used to reflect UV rays and prevent it from attacking the polymer.

10. DOES EPDM REQUIRE SYSTEMATIC MAINTENANCE OR ADDITIONAL COATINGS OR TREATMENT TO ACHIEVE ITS LIFE EXPECTANCY?
No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required. General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves and to investigate the performance of other components.

11. IS THE PERFORMANCE OF THE EPDM MEMBRANE ADVERSELY AFFECTED GEOGRAPHICALLY DUE TO TEMPERATURE EXTREMES?
In laboratory testing EPDM is subject to the most severe heat aging where samples are subjected to temperatures of 240 F for 4 weeks. Also, in several studies field samples were collected from various geographic locations after years of exposure and in both cases (laboratory and field), the physical properties of the samples exceeded the original ASTM specification. Presently, there are numerous EPDM installations throughout colder regions in the U.S. (i.e., Alaska, Minnesota) as well as in the hot and humid climates of southern Florida and Texas. For the past 25 years, EPDM has been the roofing membrane of choice for many commercial and manufacturing facilities internationally. The material will not shatter in extreme, cold temperatures and remains flexible under severe thermal shock such as in dessert areas where evenings are extremely cold and days extremely hot.

13. IS EPDM UV RESISTANT?
After more than two decades of field exposure in different climatic conditions, samples collected of EPDM membrane show no evidence of crazing or cracking. As a result of the excellent UV resistance, EPDM membrane can be warranted up to 30 years.

15. WHAT IS THE EXPECTED LONGEVITY OF EPDM MEMBRANE?
With many EPDM installations exceeding 40 years of exposure in the field under various climatic conditions, none of the material tested has shown alarming signs of degradation. Even though it would be difficult to predict, studies have shown aged EPDM membrane as having a potential life expectancy of 50 years.
Regular inspection and repair is necessary as seals and fastenings may deteriorate. A Travel Trailer TT isn't likely to outlive the 40 year service life of an EPDM roof.

Please do not coat your roof based upon your personal layman perception of what your trailer roof should look like. Listen to the experts.

Properly matched Dicor products are highly regarded for touch-up and seal repairs. Eternabond tape is another favorite.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roll, roof, seals, sun