Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
I like the bypass idea, but isn't that essentially the same as just cranking open the Cold Water tap at the same time as the Hot water? Or is this more of a solution for young kids that could potentially burn themselves?
Kids would be the absolute reason to do this. Just general comfort and safety is what I am looking for.

Yes, mixing hot and cold at the faucet will give you warm water. But when the hot water is so stinking hot that getting the mixture right uses an extra quart (out of the ?? gallons on board) of water every time you wash your hands... Something has to be done at the source.

My old trailer had a totally manual gas valve with a standing pilot. I had the temperature set so low that you could wash your hands or dishes with pure hot water. Just a touch of cold was needed for showering. That was the most water and fuel conservative (other than the standing pilot) available. I love the electronic ignition and control from inside the trailer. But the non-adjustable thermostat is almost too high a price to pay.

--------------------

To side track this thread a bit.... I've got a 1 year old, totally manual RV water heater (I built a self-contained, portable wash station for my shop). Would swapping those water heaters be worth it?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #12

As our water heater ended up leaking due to the high temp of the water, we ended up just heating the water up and turning it off and then turning it back on for awhile before washing dishes. As we don't shower in the trailer, we don't use that much hot water. We also turn the water heater and pump off if we leave the trailer for any length of time.

gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
As our water heater ended up leaking due to the high temp of the water, we ended up just heating the water up and turning it off and then turning it back on for awhile before washing dishes. As we don't shower in the trailer, we don't use that much hot water. We also turn the water heater and pump off if we leave the trailer for any length of time.
Other than not showering, those are all very good ideas.

And proud of it!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #14

It works!

Opened the bypass fully and got warm water in the bathroom. Nice temp for washing dishes in the kitchen.

I'll probably close it down slightly over the upcoming Holiday Weekend trip to fine tune it a bit.

And proud of it!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #15

Our new Pinnacle had the same problem. Fortunately, it was still under warranty so we told the dealer about it. They tested the temperature of the water and agreed it was way to hot, the thermostat was at fault. They ordered a new one, installed it, and all is well now.

http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/
Ken&Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote