Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Flickering lights

Ok first I have the Starcraft 176RB which is basically the same as the Jayco 17Z. My problem is my interior lights flicker when I am on shore power. When they start I hear the fan on the converter kick on and the lights brighten up some and settle down. A minute or two after the fan goes off the light flicker again and on and on. If I only have one light on this does not happen and does not seem to happen when I am using just the battery for power. No problems with items that run on A/C. This has happened from two different sources. Am I looking at a converter going bad or could it be some other problem. This happens if I have the battery disconnected also.

Any help would be appreciated and where would be the best source for a new converter?
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #2

I suspect it is your converter....how frequent is the flickering? are you using bulbs? - or LEDs?

Interior lighting will dim (or potentially brighten) as the converter cycles through the various charging modes...but this is not a frequent occurrence.

If the flickering is frequent, I would pull the 12V Fuses and monitor the converter output voltage to isolate the problem.

Good Luck
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Sounds like the converter. Ours started doing the same thing on our 23B after a few trips. In our case Jayco replaced it under warranty.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Using standard bulbs. Unfortunately I am out of warranty on this. They ars flickering quite frequently. Will pull the 12v fuses and ser what the AC is doing.

Where is a decent place to get a replacement if needed?
campingva is offline   Reply With Quote