Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

floor changing colors

So I have a 2006 sport 197. It has to have a leak somewhere that is making the floor change colors. I know it isn't in the plumbing because it has changed recently. The trailer is leaning to the right because it has been in storage for awhile for winter. The floor changing colors is on the right side, but I think that may be due to it leaning to that side. I looked at the roof and it doesn't seem to be coming from there. I also looked at the storage doors and the right one seems good, but the left one had a bit of water on the inside after a heavy rain so I replaced the seals on it. That was about 4-5 months ago, but I only recently noticed the change in color on the right side of the floor. (The front left side of the floor has had a darker color floor from water damage when I got the trailer) The only other spot that it might be coming from is the left front corner about a foot up from the bottom, it looks like the previous owner nicked something and it took out a small section of the plastic covering the screws on the corner. I'll try to add a picture if needed. But my question is could that be the culprit or is there something else I should also look at? All suggestions are welcome! Oh and I know that eventually I will have to replace the floor and I am planning on doing that after my 1 1/2 year tour of the USA.
Jset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

How about sun light fading?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #3

No, there is the different color under the front bench too. I don't think I explained my problem well in words, so tomorrow I will take pictures and post them.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your flooring problem. If the floor is getting darker, it is probably from water getting under it. My old trailer had that happen. I couldn't find the leak. Eventually, the flooring on the whole back end turned dark. Ended up rotting out the particle board subfloor. Had to replace about 1/2 of the subfloor and all of the vinyl flooring. Not a fun job!

Someone on another thread mentioned having the dealer run a "pressure test" to find a leak. I'm assuming they fill it with smoke (under pressure) and see where it comes out. Maybe your dealer can do that. Whatever it takes . . . find that leak a.s.a.p. Procrastination does not make it go away.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Ok so this is my first time posting pictures so if they don't show up, I'm sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-05-04_13-56-32_628.jpg   2014-05-04_13-56-38_995.jpg   2014-05-04_13-56-50_637.jpg   2014-05-04_13-57-00_394.jpg   2014-05-04_14-00-50_840.jpg  

2014-05-04_14-01-03_496.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #6

As I was looking at the damage, I was also making sure that the sealant was still there. And I didn't like what I found. I don't know if that part is just for protecting the trailer where there is a bend in the front. I would like to reseal that part either way. What should I use to seal it? Should I try and take out what is there or would that end up ripping the entire piece off?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Would Geocel 28100V Pro Flex Crystal Clear RV Flexible Sealant work well or is there a better product?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

So, I am getting that sealant on Wednesday, and then I will just clean up the areas that look bad and put that stuff on it. I am going to try and get as much old stuff out, but it looks pretty difficult to get all of it. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Has anyone got their travel trailer leak checked? I've been looking it up, and it seems pretty cool. But I was just wondering ballpark figures for my 197.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jset View Post
As I was looking at the damage, I was also making sure that the sealant was still there. And I didn't like what I found. I don't know if that part is just for protecting the trailer where there is a bend in the front. I would like to reseal that part either way. What should I use to seal it? Should I try and take out what is there or would that end up ripping the entire piece off?
I think you are referring to the broken vinyl strip that covers the screw heads. The best thing would be to remove the entire strip in that channel and replace it with new. New vinyl strip is cheap. Not a hard job.

Geocel Proflex in a very good caulk. My personal preference would be to use white, just because I think it would look better than using clear. But that's just a personal preference. The Proflex is used for seams that do not touch rubber roofing materials.

You could use a tool like this to help remove old caulk. It's cheap, and available at most WalMarts or elsewhere. A rag dampened with mineral spirits (paint thinner) can also help remove old caulk.

I've never had my trailer leak checked, but it sounds like a good idea. i understand the procedure uses powerful fans to create a slight overpressure in the trailer, and then the leaks are found with a soapy solution applied to the seams. You might want to correct whatever problems you find before having the leak test done to make the testing simpler.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #10

Where would be a good place to get the vinyl? I live on cape cod and there isn't a rv place nearby. (Which I found odd)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Where would be a good place to get the vinyl? I live on cape cod and there isn't a rv place nearby. (Which I found odd)
Most any RV parts supplier, on line or not, will have the vinyl. It comes in several widths - pull out a piece of the old, flatten it, and measure the width to make sure you get the right size. Tweety's, Camping World, Dyers, any RV dealer should have what you need. It is not something likely to be available at a hardware store - it's an RV specific item.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #12

So I pulled off the bottom broken vinyl piece to measure it and I am sure that is where the water is getting in. I am going to put a layer of caulk where that vinyl was in order to plug up that entire side. I will eventually replace the vinyl but the top part of the vinyl piece is under some of the roof sealant. And that I think is better left alone for now. Until I replace all the sealant on the front side of the roof. (It is all connected).
Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #13

That is definitely water damage, and from the looks of it, it's getting in around the damaged vinyl seals and worn caulk. Replacing the seals and caulking should take care of the leaks. You'll never be able to restore the original color of the flooring, but the larger issue (after stopping the leaks) is that the vinyl flooring will do an excellent job of trapping the water underneath it. Eventually, that water will rot the OSB or plywood subfloor, and will probably attract carpenter ants, as well. If you don't mind the color change, the simple solution is to cut the flooring (with a utility knife) right next to the wall, so you can peel it back to allow the subfloor to dry out. If it's not rotted, you can glue the vinyl flooring back down with vinyl flooring adhesive, once the subfloor is completely dry. I hope that's the case, because if the subfloor is rotting, you'll have to cut it out and scab in a replacement piece. That's what I had to do on my old trailer, and it is NOT a fun job!

Best of luck!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Ebay usually has hundreds of listing for the Vinyl Inserts
There are different widths.
Flaten the peice you have and measure the width.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #15

Jset,

That is definitely water damage to the flooring; and from the looks of your vinyl stripping, that's the likely cause. I agree, replacing the strip is your best option, and is pretty inexpensive. Unfortunately, the stains will never come out of the flooring. The vinyl flooring also does an excellent job of holding the water under it, and keeping the OSB/Plywood subfloor from drying out. Best thing there is to cut the flooring next to the wall/bench sidewall with a utility knife, then peeling the vinyl back to expose the subfloor. You may have to set something on the vinyl flap to hold it open for several days while the subfloor dries. Hopefully, your floor isn't rotten, and after a few days, you can glue the vinyl back to the subfloor with a little vinyl flooring adhesive (from Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc.). From your pics, it looks like your staining is either inside the dinette benches or under the table between the benches. If that's the case, neither the stains, nor the repair should be that noticeable. I wasn't so lucky on my old trailer. The OSB subfloor was completely toast! I had to cut out about 1/3 of the subfloor with a Dremmal tool, scab in a patch, and replace the vinyl in the entire trailer. Looked real nice when I finished the job, but what a royal PITA! Hope you caught yours in time and it's a simpler fix.

Best of luck!