Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Freeze alarm

Looking for a device that will alert us if the air conditioner fails and the temperature begins to increase. This is for our pets protection.

Freeze alarm can be set to let you know when the temperature increases as well as decreases. I wonder if this product is worthwhile or if there is a better product out there.

Also, the review I read on it priced it at about $250, but when I searched for a purchase that was closer to 400.

Suggestions appreciated
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

This seems to be a popular one. Had a friend that was going to try it out. Biggest issue you'll most likely run into is wifi access. Almost all need wifi. Changing campgrounds and re-connecting may be a pain. If you had a cellular hotspot (or even spare phone, or leave one behind as the hot spot) it would most likely be the best option. Issue there is most state campgrounds have poor to no cell connection and the national usually have none.

If you can reliably have wifi or cell coverage, seems to be a popular choice. No subscription fees, just buy the device.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Temp.../dp/B01HH7YD2Y
Old 08-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

There is a Bluetooth device you can purchase for about 40 bucks that won't allow you to have someone's phone left behind in the camper call a designated number meaning the phone in your pocket when the temperature begins to climb.

We virtually always camp with full hookups and if we have any WiFi we feel lucky. But the Bluetooth business if you have cell phone service is a good option. Going to pursue it but I don't want to be spending 500 bucks for this
'14 Denali XL
Old 08-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Looking for a device that will alert us if the air conditioner fails and the temperature begins to increase. This is for our pets protection.

Freeze alarm can be set to let you know when the temperature increases as well as decreases. I wonder if this product is worthwhile or if there is a better product out there.

Also, the review I read on it priced it at about $250, but when I searched for a purchase that was closer to 400.

Suggestions appreciated
I have used a freeze alarm flawlessly for over 10 years.
I have a old FA-I-CCA. I think the replacement is FA-800Ehttps://www.diycontrols.com/p-6020-f...o-fa-800e.aspx

I used a old prepaid flip phone and a Cobra PhoneLynx BT215. Not sure if it's available anymore but can probably find something similar.
The Cobra used 12 volt and I spliced into the RV's 12 volt system.
There may be better systems available now but I have no need for one so have not researched it. The one I have works great for me.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #5

Thanks guys.it may be the only product available.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #6

We use the Nimble Pet Temperature Monitor System, has a mobile app for your phone and needs a cell signal, but it also lets you know when you lose the signal. You can search for it by looking for RV Pet Safety.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Team

You will also want to have an alert for loss of AC 110 volts, incase of a power failure. This will give you enough time to get back and open the windows or have one of the CG neighbors open the windows/doors for you.

One additional MAJOR concern for these units is whether it is 2G or 3G cell service. If it is ONLY 2G, this is limited to areas where it will work. AT&T has discontinued ALL 2G cell service at their cell sites. If a cell site only has AT&T service and you have a 2G system, your service will not work, Roaming will not work either.

Sensored Life MAR-500A Marcel Cellular Monitoring System, Black

Amazon Prime is $219

Below is a picture of the system that I am working on... need to have it done in the next 30 days... well a few parts of it anyway
Good Luck,
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRONICS - Remote Sensor Prject.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

My Honeywell RH9585 digital thermostat will send me a message via wifi if the temperature goes above or below set points that I select. I can also monitor the temperature and control the system from my smart phone.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

I have the same concerns and this is what I do. I bought a Canary Flex camera that pulls up live video on my cell phone. I have it watching my 2 dogs in their crates when we are gone and I place a large round dial (10" diameter) thermometer above the crates so I can see it and the dogs. The Canary Flex works on either the campground wifi or the wifi hotspot on my cell phone plan when we are elsewhere. It is really easy to set up and there is no cost for the service unless you upgrade to higher level service. I can watch them live on my cell phone at any time and tell what the temperature is inside the trailer. I also use it at home to watch the dog kennels when the dogs are home and we are away. The Canary Flex is portable, wireless, and battery operated. It really works great for us and can also be used for security.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote