Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

Fridge and toilet

I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5rlts and I’m having trouble with the toilet and refrigerator. The toilet is a Thetford mod. 42072 Style 2 High and I’m having issues with it not holding water. I order a waste ball replacement kit #34117 and replaced all parts and it still doesn’t hold water. I used plumbers grease on all parts that had grease originally from the manufacturer. Any thoughts?

The refrigerator is a Norcold and I’m having issues with it turning over from electric to gas. Once I unplug the 30 amp power cord the fridge tries to light using propane. It tries multiple times and just flashes to check propane. If I manually switch back and fourth between off and auto or off and gas 4-5 times it finally lights. When we get to the campsite and plug the rv in it does automatically switch over to electric. I have tried leaving the propane tank on over the wknd until we leave but it still won’t switch over when unplugging the 30 amp cord. Anyone have these issues or just my luck ?
Thank you for any help
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

I can't help with the first problem but I can help with the fridge. It takes a bit of time for the propane to get through the lines so it helps to light your stove for just a few seconds to get the propane moving. Even then you may have to turn the fridge on and off a couple of times. We usually switch to gas and check the fridge a couple of times while hitching up, making sure it stays lit (not blinking) before we head out.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
I have a 2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5rlts and I’m having trouble with the toilet and refrigerator. snip

The refrigerator is a Norcold and I’m having issues with it turning over from electric to gas. Once I unplug the 30 amp power cord the fridge tries to light using propane. It tries multiple times and just flashes to check propane. If I manually switch back and fourth between off and auto or off and gas 4-5 times it finally lights. When we get to the campsite and plug the rv in it does automatically switch over to electric. I have tried leaving the propane tank on over the wknd until we leave but it still won’t switch over when unplugging the 30 amp cord. Anyone have these issues or just my luck ?
Thank you for any help
Do you purge the air out of the propane lines before lighting the fridge? We always turned on the burner to purge the air out, using a lighter to make sure it will light. No problem with the fridge lighting after that. Just a thought.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #4

If you are talking about the Aqua Magic style 2. Dont waste anymore time with the thetford and go buy a dometic 310 or 320 and easily replace it. The thetford aqua magic 2 will fail and flood your camper. Many many issues involving that junk toilet has flooded campers. It starts buy not holding water then you buy this and grease that only to have it not hold water again, but here is the issue. It will start to hold the foot handle down just a bit and will start to leak in the bowl due to poor design and then it ether over flows the bowl or the worst case is it dosent hold water and fills the black tank and then a big over flow.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #5

Just a recap because once the lines are charged and bleed as long as the propane is not turned off the fridge should light. Your blinking error is the no FL is that correct? Once light the fridge operates correctly on propane’s?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #6

after reading about toilets flooding campers, I put in a cut-off valve on the supply line when I replaced mine. at least I could turn it off and still have water to rest of camper should something like that happen.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoster View Post
after reading about toilets flooding campers, I put in a cut-off valve on the supply line when I replaced mine. at least I could turn it off and still have water to rest of camper should something like that happen.

X2, After the aqua flood flooded mine when i replaced with a 320.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
Old 07-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #8

We have had the Aqua Magic toilet for 6 years now and although I've replaced all the guts in it 2 years ago we haven't had much problem with it....So far. I'd love to get one of the Dometic toilets but I only have 10'' of clearance from the hold down bolts to the wall and with the Dometic 310,320 you need 11''. Rats
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
We have had the Aqua Magic toilet for 6 years now and although I've replaced all the guts in it 2 years ago we haven't had much problem with it....So far. I'd love to get one of the Dometic toilets but I only have 10'' of clearance from the hold down bolts to the wall and with the Dometic 310,320 you need 11''. Rats

You may want to double check that. I believe the 320 needs 11” since it’s the elongated bowl. That’s what I wanted but could not use due to spacing of the flange. I ended up getting the 310 which was an easy direct swap in my north point but I may not be remembering the specs correctly

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
You may want to double check that. I believe the 320 needs 11” since it’s the elongated bowl. That’s what I wanted but could not use due to spacing of the flange. I ended up getting the 310 which was an easy direct swap in my north point but I may not be remembering the specs correctly
Thanks Tom, I will double check that. Not to hijack the OP's thread but could you briefly explain how you rerouted your supply line if indeed you even had too? Mines pretty tight back there. Thanks, Terry.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #11

Terry

I didn’t have to reroute my supply line. Everything went back together easily with no modification. Entire process to remove old toilet and install new one took less than 10 minutes.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #12

@Old Skipper if I have the fridge running on propane and plug in the shore cord it automatically switches to electric. If I leave it on electric over night and leave the propane tank on also and unplug the shore cord it still takes 4-5 times toggling the switch between off and auto for it to light. I would think with constant pressure from the tank being left on the lines shouldn’t need to be purged. This is my first RV and not really sure why it’s doing this. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post

The 310 is the direct swap for the Aqua magic 2.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #14

Toilet:
I got a foam dishwashing stick from the dollar store and use it to clean the seal (both sides) of the ball valve.. I have had great success with doing this
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
@Old Skipper if I have the fridge running on propane and plug in the shore cord it automatically switches to electric. If I leave it on electric over night and leave the propane tank on also and unplug the shore cord it still takes 4-5 times toggling the switch between off and auto for it to light. I would think with constant pressure from the tank being left on the lines shouldn’t need to be purged. This is my first RV and not really sure why it’s doing this. Thanks for the help everyone
Burchie, do a soap/water leak test at the pigtails/regulator at the front of the RV and at where the line enters the outside fridge box. You may have a small leak depressurizing the system. Also and quite likely the propane line to the fridge may be kinked somewhere and you may not be able to see it if you have a covered underbelly. Drop the underbelly and trace the line to where it connects to the main. This could possibly explain why it takes multiple times to get the fridge to light.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #16

@TC my dealer is actually going to drop the underbelly to put a hose on the fresh water tank to stop it from siphoning while traveling. While they have it apart I’ll have them check the propane line. Thanks for the help
@eagleback I have roughly 2 inches of room behind my Thetford style 2 toilet. I’m hoping that is enough room for the Dometic 320 to fit.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #17

Do we all agree the lines should not require being purged if the tank has not been closed?
When the fridge fails to light is the error code no FL or Lo dc?
Glad to hear the dealer is going to jump on this problem.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #18

@old skipper my fridge doesn’t have error codes. It has a green and orange light that says “check when flashing”. When the shore cord is unplugged and it’s on auto it tries to switch over to propane and both lights flash when it fails to ignite. I also agree with you that if the fridge has been run on propane and the tank was never shutoff the lines shouldn’t need to be purged when it switches back and forth between ac/gas.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #19

Have you tried blowing out the flue? The burner causes the chimney to rust and pieces will fall down on the burner causing it not to light.

A quick burst of compressed air will solve this problem if that is what it is. Take the cover off the burner tube and blow it out good. Might just fix this. My RV tech recommends doing this once a year to prevent lighting problems.

The reason I think this might be your problem is because your propane hasn't been off so I don't think it's a supply problem.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #20

Cabinetmaker I will check that tomorrow. Thank you. We bought it last June new and it has done this since then. I haven’t asked the dealer about it because we have had a hard time getting them to fix other issues. We had the wardrobe slide seal start leaking a week after we got it home and after all the running around they gave us it finally got replaced 11 months later. Every time it rained while we were camping we had to close the slide out