Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Question Fridge Issues

Seeking advice/opinions/suggestions about an issue we are having with our Fridge in our '02 31FKS Jayco Designer TT.

I believe its a Nordic or something like that (please excuse, I'm a new owner and the books are at the TT), anyway it has a picture of a Polar Bear on it.
Its a Fridge and Freezer (seperated) and what seems to be a very nice unit.

But,,,, during the weekends, when we open and close it, the condensation from the Grills in the Fridge drips down into a "catch" tray which should run to a "drain" opening. Well, it wasn't. It wouldn't drain, and then just freeze, thus not being able to handle the new moisture which would drip to the bottom of the fridge.
I thought maybe the drain-tube was clogged, so I sprayed some air down it from an air-can. All the air would come back out the entry opening.
So, I went outside and removed the panel to access the back of the Fridge and give a look. *Before I did this I got the manual and read-up on it so I might be more informed what to look for*.
It seems that when moisture from the Fridge "Grills" drop to the collection tray it should exit via the tube and then collect in a square metal retention "cup" which is located via the outside access panel.
The tube is "white" in the Fridge, and the tube in the "access" area outside is "white" too. This "tube" goes directly in this "cup".
The manual says that this "grill" moisture collects in the cup and "should" eventually evaporate due to the operational temp of the Fridge.

The problem is, is that this "tube" is "crimped" closed at the end that goes into this retention cup. It sort of looks like its been crimped closed at the factory, or someone has done a good job crimping it closed.

Should this tube be terminated at the end, when it should be draining the moisture from the "grills" and into this metal retention cup ??????

Any insight muchly appreciated !!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

I had the same sort of tube that was crimped but in the middle of the crimp there was a small hole to allow the water to dip out. mine did have a tendancy to plug just from sitting in the cup of water. What I did was cut a little bigger hole in the crimp and ran it out the access door like the newer models do.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

I was thinking that too hammer !

Will give that a try next weekend ....

Thanks for the insight, and suggestion.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #4

Could you run a little drill bit thru the tube from the outside to open it up a little?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

Thought I would follow up on the Fridge issue.

After leveling the Jayco, and snipping the end off the drain tube, everything is operating normally !!

I've checked behind outside panel the last two weekends and the moisture from the Fridge is draining into the metal cup and eventually evaporating.

Thanks to all contributors for your ideas/insight & opinions.