Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Fridge stopped cooling

I have a n841 norcold fridge that has worked perfectly for 10 years. We cleaned it out yesterday. Had the door open for an extended period of time. Now it won't cool. Left it on over night.. Still not working. Strange thing is no codes are showing. The chimney is hot. The tubes are cool not cold. All fuses are good. Power is there. Is it possible to overwhelm the system. I've shut it off to see it it can stabilize then I will turn it on again.

Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
That's the first step. Unless you have test equipment for the electronic boards etc. it is hard to know what's wrong. Also you have to isolate between operational and electric.
Test equipment can run about usd 700

Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

You might want to check the Thermistor located on the fins. Pull it off and reinstall it. I think mine's set about half way up.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Be sure and look on all the tubing for a yellow looking stain. If you see that then time for a new one.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
You might want to check the Thermistor located on the fins. Pull it off and reinstall it. I think mine's set about half way up.
That's what I was thinking too, knocked the sensor off or moved it during cleaning, and didn't get it relocated correctly.

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #6

I would look at whether it is trying to cool or not. Fire up the propane and look at the flame. While it is on, the unit is trying to cool and once off it thinks it is down to temp. It is easier to see if the fridge is trying to cool while on propane versus 120 volts.

If trying to cool but no cooling is taking place, you may have a major problem. If the flame shuts off before it should, it could be a thermostat or possibly a control board.

These fridges heat up ammonia in the tubing that does the cooling as it flows through. A clog or leak will ruin your day. As these units operate on propane and 120 volts, there are 2 totally separate functions for heating the ammonia. If both are not working you look for what is common to both.

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Ours quit also without warning. Neither A/C nor LP worked, the fridge got cool and the freezer hovered about freezing. Tubes in back we’re warm. Our problem was the vent fans on the back of the fridge (between the lower and upper vent) had died. Replacing them solved the prob. I can hear them from the lower outside vent when they run.
Since you say the tubes are cool it sounds like there’s no heat being applied. On gas can you hear it trying to ignite (clicking)? Since it sounds like it’s pretty much dead I’d suspect the control board. Search YouTube for some troubleshooting steps. IIRC some boards have a relay that once opened will not close again but can be reset with a magnet.
Good luck and let the crowd know what you find out.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #8

Cooling unit done

Well after a day I turned the fridge back on. On ac the boiler got very hot. So it looks like the cooling unit is done. This unit does not have any cooling fans. On lp the boiler lights up and I see a nice blue flame. So lm going to replace the cooling unit as soon as the us border is open. I priced a cooling unit here in town , $2100. Rv cooling warehouse sells them for $545. Us. Plus a hundred back for the core. It's so disappointing that I cannot support local businesses
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

A new fridge is only $1200 to 1300. I have tried the replacement cooling system and after 2 never got one to work. A new fridge is way easier to install also.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

Cost of a new fridge

I've been looking for a new fridge but I can't find one in the $1200 range.?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #11

The fridge in our old hybrid died; it had the dreaded Domatic coolant leak. I priced out a new fridge and a new cooling unit, and getting a new cooling unit was 2/3 the cost of a new fridge. I'm pretty handy, so with some help, I removed the fridge from the trailer and did the work myself in the garage. I followed the instructions and watched all the YouTube videos I could find, and the job went pretty well. Would I do it again? If I absolutely had to, I could -- but I really rather not.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #12

Did you try cleaning out the flue?The fridge in old Wildwood,don't remember the brand,stopped cooling,tapped on the flue with the butt end of a screwdriver and it started cooling again.Couldn't believe how much crap came out.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

IF no evidence of leakage then X2 on cleaning the flue. check of mouse and wask nests. Happened to us in a summer cabin that after years of use it fill with soot and almost killed us with CO gas.

If your unit is not level that can cause a real problem. If it sat for a long time in an un-level position the coolant may need to be re-positioned. I have heard of doing it but unsure how.

Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote