Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

Furnace making clicking noise

Big storm rolled through last night. Lots of wind and water, but we survived with no real impact. However, we were broadside to storm and after thought is that it would have been better to bring slide outs in.

In middle of storm, lights started pulsating to a clicking noise coming from below the refrigerator. Thought refrigerator at first, but isolated to the furnace.

Pulled 15 amp fuse and noise stopped.

This morning weather is clear. 67 degrees at 8am, so certainly don't need furnace.

Decided to check to see if pulling fuse would have created a reset and all would be well. Put fuse back in and noise started again. Re-pulled fuse when noise started again.

Any thoughts? Furnace was not being used at time of storm. And is not
turned on, when noise is happening.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Just a follow up.

I got in to the furnace compartment on the outside. I was familiar with how to get in there by checking it out before when just looking over truck. When we get a new RV, I always take time to try to get in every part. I want to learn the access and what's there before I have to.

When I opened the compartment by removing the exhaust tube first, held in place with 2 screws, and then the compartment hatch with 4 screws, I found lots of moisture. Electric components and circuit boards were wet and dripping water from straight driving rain driving in through the vents.

We weathered a major storm in the unit the night before.

Dried everything with paper towels and wife's hair dryer. I always promise her, I'll buy her a new one if I damage her hair dryer.

Once dry, replaced fuse and no clicking noise. Everything good.

Used "laminate paper", with backing on it, and a couple of pieces of duct tape (never leave home with out it). to create a flap directly over the electrical contacts.

This should prevent direct water impact to circuits, but don't know if it would stop the moisture level in the compartment. it was like pointing a water hose directly at the vent opening.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the update.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

I'm wondering if one of those bug screens would knock, dissipate, the water flow enough to keep it from entering?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 07-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Thanks for posting

To the OP. Thanks for putting this fix out there. Ran into the same issue last night. The clicking started and I thought for sure I was going to have to pack up. Quick search of the forum and I found this thread. Shut everything down, waited for morning, and followed the fix you posted and we are back in business. Thanks again!
Grey2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #6

Likewise, thank you for this post , I'm having the same issue , i actually just got back from a trip today , parked my camper and heard what I thought sounded like a defective relay and I thought it was coming from the refrigerator also .
The noise was coming right underneath fridge . I took off the vented wall panel and located the Furnace , mine had a switch on top of it , so I clicked it and the problem stopped.
I tried turning off all the breakers first but it dint do anything.
The noise sounded like it kept trying to turn on and off every second and I guess it was drawing power right from the battery.
We also had a lot of rain the first day of camping but there was no issues until today.
Im going to have to look into it tomorrow and see what's going on also. At least I have this post as a guideline two to open up the panel outside to see what everything looks like.
StarstrucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

The wife's hair dryer is the key to the repair.

Used a plastic cup as the final solution to protect the circuit board from a direct hit by water.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 09-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks for posting! This is great info.
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #9

We just ran into this same problem - driving rain right into the vent. I think there should be a better designed cover by Jayco to solve this problem.
EMLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMLambert View Post
We just ran into this same problem - driving rain right into the vent. I think there should be a better designed cover by Jayco to solve this problem.
I actually used a part that came from the Seneca. I did some rearranging of parts and hoses in the utility/wet bay and ended up removing the cup that held the nozzle of the outdoor shower. Its a little rubber, off white half cup. This is what I eventually used in the furnace compartment to protect the electronics from driving rain. It has been in place for over a year. Did it resolve the problem? Problem hasn't returned and no clue if I've been in another situation where the same thing would happen again.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #11

I've had the same clicking issue but for a different reason. If the propane is off and the thermostat is making a call, the igniter will try to light the system. Answer was to change out the thermostat for one that has an off switch.

Never had the water issue, but may go in and develop protection for the electronics.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #12

Thanks

RGolding....you saved me some angst! Same issue after a significant horizontal rain storm in AL! Got the panel disassembled and dried out in about 30 minutes! Thanks all!

Chris
2018 F-250 6.2
Scubachris is offline   Reply With Quote