Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Furnace repair update. More tips

I know it's summer, who cares about the furnace right?

But 2 weeks ago, it got down to 35degrees near the Grand Canyon. And, as Murph would have it... I got another sail switch fault. Grrrr What was particularly galling was that it was MY repair that failed!

Back in November I posted my repair here.

This time at least I could at least SEE the LED code blinking. So the next day I pulled out the heater and its sail switch. I paid closer attention to the wind flow generated by the squirrel cage fan and and increased the bend and twisted a bit the blade for maximum wind resistance. Too much and it will rub against the fan as it turns. I also used contact cleaner just in case. It worked, yay!

Frustrated at this fault. While I had the switch in my hand I soldered a pair of wires out for easy reach, so I could bypass the switch if it ever happened again in the middle of the night.

Anyway, THIS is what I discovered this time: on our 212Qbw with the furnace under the seat, you really don't have to disconnect anything to work on it, not the wires, not the propane, only, of course, the ducts.
Once you've unscrewed it, slide it straight out to clear the exhaust pipe and rotate the furnace around. Simple.

Lining up the exhaust pipe when reinstalling is a bit of a pain. My wife stood outside looking at the exhaust vent to make sure the pipe was coming out straight. When I got it, I determined that "straight" = two fingers high off the floor when reaching around the back of the unit and sliding it into position.

Hope this helps the next furnace repair DYIer.
Phoenix PAL is offline   Reply With Quote