Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Furrion camera for Observation

Sorry in advance if there's another thread started on this.

We ordered a new 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS from the factory with a backup camera. It came with a Furrion camera that sends a wireless signal to the receiver in the truck. When I plug in the receiver and power the camera on, there's no signal/connection with the camera until I turn the running lights on. This tells me the camera's power is tied into the running lights (vs. battery). It works great while we're towing and backing up - no issues yet.

In the bedroom of our 5th wheel is a sticker that reads "This unit is wired for rear camera observation. Rear observation for travel and back up assistance. Campsite safety and security". There's also a corresponding "Charging Center" with a 12v port (for the receiver) and dual USB ports. When I plug the receiver in, I get power but no signal from the camera. Thus, back to the rear camera power issue.

We currently use full hookups when camping. Is there a way to use the camera/receiver as an observation unit while we're parked and camping?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

You would have to get power to the camera and as you mentioned, the camera is only on when the marker lights are illuminated. I don't believe there is a convenient source for constant 12V power near the camera. You could jump the 7-pin plug on the trailer to light the marker lights, but then your marker lights would be on.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:54 PM   #3

Yeah my lights have to be running to get power with is better to run the lights. If you run it all the time it will run your battery down quick.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
In the bedroom of our 5th wheel is a sticker that reads "This unit is wired for rear camera observation. Rear observation for travel and back up assistance. Campsite safety and security".[/B]
Packer,

It looks like the key question is the single sentence on the decal: "Campsite safety and security."

This may be a new camera development that goes beyond the typical backup/observation camera that many us us have that requires the lights to be on.

Or, it could just be a misleading sentence and the camera is not really intended to act as security device in addition to the backup/observation function.

The sentence may just simply imply that by using a backup/observation camera you get extra "campsite safety and security."

I would question them closely during the pre-delivery inspection and make the tech demonstrate how it functions as a "campsite safety and security" device.

The charging station, on the other hand, is probably just that: a charging station for your phones, running a CPAP machine when boondocking, etc.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
We currently use full hookups when camping. Is there a way to use the camera/receiver as an observation unit while we're parked and camping?
As other's have mentioned, you can use your 7-way pin to turn your running lights on so your camera is powered up. The only problem with this is your running lights would be on also.

There's a product on the market called RV Glow that when plugged into your FW 7-way plug it can be used to turn on your running lights, which will also power your camera. It's available to purchase on Amazon.

If you want to do it yourself, here are some YouTube videos that may help:

I've attached a wiring diagram below.

Your other option would be to wire your camera directly off the battery with a switch inside the trailer so you can turn the camera on and off. You can look to see if there's any DC wiring in the back living area of the trailer that you could tap into and install a switch. You would need to make sure the switch is on while traveling so the camera would be powered.

Around the 4 minute mark of this YouTube video may provide some help if looking at this option.

Hope this was of some help.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Harness Diagram.jpg