Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #1

Question Furrion Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System - 26BH

I just ordered up the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket (picture below). My 2016 Jay Flight 26BH has a sticker inside that says it is pre-wired for a camera. I went with this camera system since it is the one that is used by Jayco on other models.

My question is, has anyone installed this particular camera on a 26BH (or similar model)? Is there instructions anywhere from Jayco on how to install the Furrion camera, I have seen instructions for the Voyager Camera, but not the Furrion.

Is there a connector behind the middle running light that is PNP with the Furrion?

Also, what should I use for sealant / caulking in the holes and around the bracket / shroud?

I have also read it is better tap the mounting holes and use a machine screws with the fiberglass?

I am just trying to get a plan together on installing it before I start drilling holes in the fiberglass.

Thank you all in advance for your replies and help!

Duke
Attached Thumbnails
Furrion Camera System.jpg  
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Exclamation

Well, I've had the Furrion High Speed Wireless Observation Camera system for a few days now, gotta love 2 day shipping

I did contact Jayco customer support during the week, they were very prompt in responding and seemed eager to help.

The only thing is that they told me that they were not familiar with the Furrion camera as they only install Voyager cameras. I find this very interesting since I sent them a picture I took of a Jayco Eagle at my local dealer that had the Furrion camera housing already mounted ready to install a plug n play Furrion Camera.

They sent me the same PDF instructions that can be found here in the forum for the Voyager Camera to help me get started. The only thing with these instructions is that they have you drill a 3/4" hole 3" to the right of the marker, put a grommet in the hole and pull the wire through the grommet down to the Voyager camera, leaving the wire exposed.

The reason I went with the Furrion is because it comes with a camera shroud and all the wiring is hidden behind the camera.

So I guess my question would be to anyone that has installed a camera on the back of a newer unit that is "prewired", is there a separate power feed for the camera taped to the power wires going to the middle marker light or do I have to tap into the marker light power??

I really don't want to make any mistakes when drilling into the fiberglass siding....

I think I've read in other posts that it would be preferred to tap the holes and use machine screws in the fiberglass, rather than the regular screws if someone could confirm.

What would be the preferred caulking / sealant to use for this application?

Look forward to any help you can give.

As always, thank you in advance for the replies,

Duke
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Well, I've had the Furrion High Speed Wireless Observation Camera system for a few days now, gotta love 2 day shipping

I did contact Jayco customer support during the week, they were very prompt in responding and seemed eager to help.

The only thing is that they told me that they were not familiar with the Furrion camera as they only install Voyager cameras. I find this very interesting since I sent them a picture I took of a Jayco Eagle at my local dealer that had the Furrion camera housing already mounted ready to install a plug n play Furrion Camera.

They sent me the same PDF instructions that can be found here in the forum for the Voyager Camera to help me get started. The only thing with these instructions is that they have you drill a 3/4" hole 3" to the right of the marker, put a grommet in the hole and pull the wire through the grommet down to the Voyager camera, leaving the wire exposed.

The reason I went with the Furrion is because it comes with a camera shroud and all the wiring is hidden behind the camera.

So I guess my question would be to anyone that has installed a camera on the back of a newer unit that is "prewired", is there a separate power feed for the camera taped to the power wires going to the middle marker light or do I have to tap into the marker light power??

I really don't want to make any mistakes when drilling into the fiberglass siding....

I think I've read in other posts that it would be preferred to tap the holes and use machine screws in the fiberglass, rather than the regular screws if someone could confirm.

What would be the preferred caulking / sealant to use for this application?

Look forward to any help you can give.

As always, thank you in advance for the replies,

Duke
Hey Duke I'm looking at this same camera for my new 2016 Jay Flight 29RKSS. All info says trailer is pre-wired. Is the wiring behind the middle clearance light? How did the installation go? Are you happy with the unit?
Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

There is a separate wire feed that is clustered with the wires going to the middle light. At least that is how it is done on my 2016 JayFlight 23MBH.

From my Note 5
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomworsh View Post
Hey Duke I'm looking at this same camera for my new 2016 Jay Flight 29RKSS. All info says trailer is pre-wired. Is the wiring behind the middle clearance light? How did the installation go? Are you happy with the unit?
Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:23 AM   #6

Quote:

Hello Tom,

Overall I am very pleased with the Furrion camera system. It works very well and looks great. The wireless range is incredible, much more than I expected or advertised. I have used it on two trips so far and got the angle of the camera dialed in quite nicely now. It's just like having a rear view mirror. The 4.3" screen is a nice size, and the windshield mount is adequate. The resolution of the screen is ok and certainly gets the job done for its intended task, just don't expect it to be like a smartphone display. There are some adjustments you can make for color, contrast, brightness, etc. You can also turn the back-up distance lines on and off. I ended up turning the lines off. The screen simply plugs into the 12v power outlet or cigarette lighter inside the tow vehicle.

There was a single black wire capped off behind the marker light. I connected the power wire from the camera to the this black wire and the ground wire of the camera to the white wires. The camera itself is always on, I have not found a switch inside the TT for it as of yet. There is a little blue LED light that comes on when the camera has power.

The installation was not too bad, it probably took me a little longer than it needed to but that's partially due to some OCD [emoji4]. I ended up using #8 X 3/4" stainless steel sheet metal screws for the install and put painters tape over the area where I drilled. Screws did not come with the camera system. I pre-drilled the holes with the appropriate size drill for a #8 screw. I used a 1/2" drill for the camera wires, you could probably use a larger drill bit to make things a little easier. The camera shroud felt very secure once mounted. I came down about 6" or so below the marker light to center the camera between the marker light and the Jayco logo decal.

I did find that there was a horizontal wood stud between the hole that I drilled for the wires and the marker light. This was by far the most time consuming part of the job. I had to fish a coat hanger down through the marker light hole and the hole I drilled for the camera wires. Fortunately there was just barely enough space between the wood stud and the wall to snake the wires through. I used clear automotive RTV silicone caulking around the housing and in the mounting screw holes. There is a rubber gasket that comes as part of the camera shroud kit, goes between the camera shroud and the exterior wall of TT.

Below are some pictures from the install:

Best Regards,

Duke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Now that is what I call a really nice installation and pictures to show it. Thanks for that post Duke!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Now that is what I call a really nice installation and pictures to show it. Thanks for that post Duke!

No problem and thank you! Glad you enjoyed. I would highly recommend an rear observation camera system. It definately gives peace of mind while driving and changing lanes!

Happy Travels!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #9

Just went out and took a close up picture that shows the blue LED light that signifies the camera has power. Also wanted to mention that the night vision works decent, at dusk it does well, when it's dark out the immediate area behind TT is lit up enough to make things out. I have not used on the road after dark yet to report. You can also plug the screen into the 12V power outlet inside the TT for live surveillance behind the TT.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

Thanks for the info Duke! This is just what I was looking for before I bought a camera. I figured it was a fairly straightforward installation. It was tough getting info about this "pre-wired" setup. My dealer is great but they were vague about the wiring. I guess they wanted to sell and install a camera for me. The only Info I got from them was a Jayco page regarding a Voyager camera installation.
Again thank you very much for the help.
Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the info Duke! This is just what I was looking for before I bought a camera. I figured it was a fairly straightforward installation. It was tough getting info about this "pre-wired" setup. My dealer is great but they were vague about the wiring. I guess they wanted to sell and install a camera for me. The only Info I got from them was a Jayco page regarding a Voyager camera installation.
Again thank you very much for the help.

You're very welcome Tom! Glad I could help! Good luck with your install. Looking forward to hearing back on how things went for you and some pics!

One last thing, I used regular twist on wire nuts to connect wires since the camera wires were such a small gauge (Orange wire nut for the 12V feed wires and a yellow for the ground wires). The quick splice connectors shown in the picture do not slice into the insulation of the small camera wires enough to make contact.

Best Regards,

Duke

Old 06-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Can the camera angle be adjusted or is it in a fixed position? EX. - if you wanted to keep an eye on a bike rack, cargo mount, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockhart View Post
Can the camera angle be adjusted or is it in a fixed position? EX. - if you wanted to keep an eye on a bike rack, cargo mount, etc?

You can adjust it up and down. I had it set so I could just see the spare tire when I did the install, but found I needed to adjust it up a notch to see cars a couple of car lengths behind the TT.

Duke

Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #14

Furrion Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System - 26BH

I've seen some folks say the running lights need to be on for the camera to have power. If you connect to the pre-wired backup camera line as you did Duke_26, does the camera always have power.....or only when the running lights are on?

Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
I've seen some folks say the running lights need to be on for the camera to have power. If you connect to the pre-wired backup camera line as you did, does the camera always have power.....or only when the running lights are on?

The camera always has power, no need for running lights to be on. This is on a 2016 Jay Flight 26BH that said it was pre-wired.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
The camera always has power, no need for running lights to be on. This is on a 2016 Jay Flight 26BH that said it was pre-wired.

Thanks for the info. Does the camera have an on/off function? What is the battery draw like when not in use?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman1088 View Post
Thanks for the info. Does the camera have an on/off function? What is the battery draw like when not in use?

No on/off function that I know of. I have not figured out yet if the feed to the camera is on its own circuit or not to be able to put a switch in. Some TT's from what I've read have a switch installed from the factory.

I have not used it yet without the TT being plugged in. I can't imagine it uses anymore than the carbon monoxide detector.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #18

Nice thread! I just ordered this unit for my 2016 Jay Feather 25BH. I was about to order one of the $79 units from Amazon but the reviews from RV owners were not good on the cheaper units.

And about the power lead. I would think this would be powered only when plugged into the truck correct? Doesn't make sense for Jayco to have their camera powered at all times.
ScarabChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabChris View Post
Nice thread! I just ordered this unit for my 2016 Jay Feather 25BH. I was about to order one of the $79 units from Amazon but the reviews from RV owners were not good on the cheaper units.

And about the power lead. I would think this would be powered only when plugged into the truck correct? Doesn't make sense for Jayco to have their camera powered at all times.

I think part of the reason it is powered all the time is because they also market it as "Campsite Safety and Security" since you can plug in the wireless monitor inside the TT...

Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #20

Duke_26 and ScarabChris, I have a new 2016 North Point that has the same sticker saying I am prewired for camera. But for the life of me cannot find any info on the location of wires or install...did one of you say Jayco sent a PDF on the install for the Voyager camera? I have a wireless set that is put together from Amazon camera/transcender/receiver/monitor I ordered. I've hooked them all up to power and they work as far as sending vid. Now I'm ready to install but afraid to drill the first hole!
Any leads to locations of wiring would be SO appreciated...

Damon & Becky, Arkansas
New Forum Member
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26bh, camera, furrion, observation, rear