Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Duke_26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern, VT
Posts: 299
Question Furrion Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System - 26BH

I just ordered up the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket (picture below). My 2016 Jay Flight 26BH has a sticker inside that says it is pre-wired for a camera. I went with this camera system since it is the one that is used by Jayco on other models.

My question is, has anyone installed this particular camera on a 26BH (or similar model)? Is there instructions anywhere from Jayco on how to install the Furrion camera, I have seen instructions for the Voyager Camera, but not the Furrion.

Is there a connector behind the middle running light that is PNP with the Furrion?

Also, what should I use for sealant / caulking in the holes and around the bracket / shroud?

I have also read it is better tap the mounting holes and use a machine screws with the fiberglass?

I am just trying to get a plan together on installing it before I start drilling holes in the fiberglass.

Thank you all in advance for your replies and help!

Duke
Attached Thumbnails
Furrion Camera System.jpg  
__________________

__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH Elite, Fiberglass, Thermal Pkg, Al. Rims, 15K AC, Elec. Stab. Jacks.
2001 Coleman Redwood PUP (Sold)
2017 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7L V8, TRD Anti-Sway Bar
Reese Dual Cam HP WDH, Factory Brake Controller
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Duke_26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern, VT
Posts: 299
Exclamation

Well, I've had the Furrion High Speed Wireless Observation Camera system for a few days now, gotta love 2 day shipping

I did contact Jayco customer support during the week, they were very prompt in responding and seemed eager to help.

The only thing is that they told me that they were not familiar with the Furrion camera as they only install Voyager cameras. I find this very interesting since I sent them a picture I took of a Jayco Eagle at my local dealer that had the Furrion camera housing already mounted ready to install a plug n play Furrion Camera.

They sent me the same PDF instructions that can be found here in the forum for the Voyager Camera to help me get started. The only thing with these instructions is that they have you drill a 3/4" hole 3" to the right of the marker, put a grommet in the hole and pull the wire through the grommet down to the Voyager camera, leaving the wire exposed.

The reason I went with the Furrion is because it comes with a camera shroud and all the wiring is hidden behind the camera.

So I guess my question would be to anyone that has installed a camera on the back of a newer unit that is "prewired", is there a separate power feed for the camera taped to the power wires going to the middle marker light or do I have to tap into the marker light power??

I really don't want to make any mistakes when drilling into the fiberglass siding....

I think I've read in other posts that it would be preferred to tap the holes and use machine screws in the fiberglass, rather than the regular screws if someone could confirm.

What would be the preferred caulking / sealant to use for this application?

Look forward to any help you can give.

As always, thank you in advance for the replies,

Duke
__________________

__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH Elite, Fiberglass, Thermal Pkg, Al. Rims, 15K AC, Elec. Stab. Jacks.
2001 Coleman Redwood PUP (Sold)
2017 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7L V8, TRD Anti-Sway Bar
Reese Dual Cam HP WDH, Factory Brake Controller
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Loxley
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Well, I've had the Furrion High Speed Wireless Observation Camera system for a few days now, gotta love 2 day shipping

I did contact Jayco customer support during the week, they were very prompt in responding and seemed eager to help.

The only thing is that they told me that they were not familiar with the Furrion camera as they only install Voyager cameras. I find this very interesting since I sent them a picture I took of a Jayco Eagle at my local dealer that had the Furrion camera housing already mounted ready to install a plug n play Furrion Camera.

They sent me the same PDF instructions that can be found here in the forum for the Voyager Camera to help me get started. The only thing with these instructions is that they have you drill a 3/4" hole 3" to the right of the marker, put a grommet in the hole and pull the wire through the grommet down to the Voyager camera, leaving the wire exposed.

The reason I went with the Furrion is because it comes with a camera shroud and all the wiring is hidden behind the camera.

So I guess my question would be to anyone that has installed a camera on the back of a newer unit that is "prewired", is there a separate power feed for the camera taped to the power wires going to the middle marker light or do I have to tap into the marker light power??

I really don't want to make any mistakes when drilling into the fiberglass siding....

I think I've read in other posts that it would be preferred to tap the holes and use machine screws in the fiberglass, rather than the regular screws if someone could confirm.

What would be the preferred caulking / sealant to use for this application?

Look forward to any help you can give.

As always, thank you in advance for the replies,

Duke
Hey Duke I'm looking at this same camera for my new 2016 Jay Flight 29RKSS. All info says trailer is pre-wired. Is the wiring behind the middle clearance light? How did the installation go? Are you happy with the unit?
Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 385
There is a separate wire feed that is clustered with the wires going to the middle light. At least that is how it is done on my 2016 JayFlight 23MBH.

From my Note 5
__________________
2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomworsh View Post
Hey Duke I'm looking at this same camera for my new 2016 Jay Flight 29RKSS. All info says trailer is pre-wired. Is the wiring behind the middle clearance light? How did the installation go? Are you happy with the unit?
Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the forum.
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Duke_26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern, VT
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomworsh View Post
Hey Duke I'm looking at this same camera for my new 2016 Jay Flight 29RKSS. All info says trailer is pre-wired. Is the wiring behind the middle clearance light? How did the installation go? Are you happy with the unit?


Hello Tom,

Overall I am very pleased with the Furrion camera system. It works very well and looks great. The wireless range is incredible, much more than I expected or advertised. I have used it on two trips so far and got the angle of the camera dialed in quite nicely now. It's just like having a rear view mirror. The 4.3" screen is a nice size, and the windshield mount is adequate. The resolution of the screen is ok and certainly gets the job done for its intended task, just don't expect it to be like a smartphone display. There are some adjustments you can make for color, contrast, brightness, etc. You can also turn the back-up distance lines on and off. I ended up turning the lines off. The screen simply plugs into the 12v power outlet or cigarette lighter inside the tow vehicle.

There was a single black wire capped off behind the marker light. I connected the power wire from the camera to the this black wire and the ground wire of the camera to the white wires. The camera itself is always on, I have not found a switch inside the TT for it as of yet. There is a little blue LED light that comes on when the camera has power.

The installation was not too bad, it probably took me a little longer than it needed to but that's partially due to some OCD . I ended up using #8 X 3/4" stainless steel sheet metal screws for the install and put painters tape over the area where I drilled. Screws did not come with the camera system. I pre-drilled the holes with the appropriate size drill for a #8 screw. I used a 1/2" drill for the camera wires, you could probably use a larger drill bit to make things a little easier. The camera shroud felt very secure once mounted. I came down about 6" or so below the marker light to center the camera between the marker light and the Jayco logo decal.

I did find that there was a horizontal wood stud between the hole that I drilled for the wires and the marker light. This was by far the most time consuming part of the job. I had to fish a coat hanger down through the marker light hole and the hole I drilled for the camera wires. Fortunately there was just barely enough space between the wood stud and the wall to snake the wires through. I used clear automotive RTV silicone caulking around the housing and in the mounting screw holes. There is a rubber gasket that comes as part of the camera shroud kit, goes between the camera shroud and the exterior wall of TT.

Below are some pictures from the install:
















Best Regards,

Duke


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH Elite, Fiberglass, Thermal Pkg, Al. Rims, 15K AC, Elec. Stab. Jacks.
2001 Coleman Redwood PUP (Sold)
2017 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7L V8, TRD Anti-Sway Bar
Reese Dual Cam HP WDH, Factory Brake Controller
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,645
Now that is what I call a really nice installation and pictures to show it. Thanks for that post Duke!
__________________

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Duke_26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern, VT
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Now that is what I call a really nice installation and pictures to show it. Thanks for that post Duke!


No problem and thank you! Glad you enjoyed. I would highly recommend an rear observation camera system. It definately gives peace of mind while driving and changing lanes!

Happy Travels!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH Elite, Fiberglass, Thermal Pkg, Al. Rims, 15K AC, Elec. Stab. Jacks.
2001 Coleman Redwood PUP (Sold)
2017 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7L V8, TRD Anti-Sway Bar
Reese Dual Cam HP WDH, Factory Brake Controller
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Duke_26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern, VT
Posts: 299
Just went out and took a close up picture that shows the blue LED light that signifies the camera has power. Also wanted to mention that the night vision works decent, at dusk it does well, when it's dark out the immediate area behind TT is lit up enough to make things out. I have not used on the road after dark yet to report. You can also plug the screen into the 12V power outlet inside the TT for live surveillance behind the TT.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Jay Flight 26BH Elite, Fiberglass, Thermal Pkg, Al. Rims, 15K AC, Elec. Stab. Jacks.
2001 Coleman Redwood PUP (Sold)
2017 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7L V8, TRD Anti-Sway Bar
Reese Dual Cam HP WDH, Factory Brake Controller
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Loxley
Posts: 17
Thanks for the info Duke! This is just what I was looking for before I bought a camera. I figured it was a fairly straightforward installation. It was tough getting info about this "pre-wired" setup. My dealer is great but they were vague about the wiring. I guess they wanted to sell and install a camera for me. The only Info I got from them was a Jayco page regarding a Voyager camera installation.
Again thank you very much for the help.
__________________

Tomworsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
26bh, camera, furrion, observation, rear

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.