Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

fuses on 2009 Jayco jay series tent trailer

Hi all,
I have a problem. I bought my tent trailer last year and now I have some problems. I drove down to Florida and it was cold. I tried to turn on the water heater and the furnace. Both didn't work. The spark was there but it didn't work. Gas is in my bottle. I can use the stove.

I decided to ignore this problem for now and take care of the problem when I'm back home. So I bought a electrical heather. It worked great. The next morning I also used a water heather to boil water for my coffee and then I had no power on my electrical outlets any more. I thought again that I will take care of it later. I took an extension cord for the heater. So everything is good now except, the lights stopped working as well this evening

Now I think I have to find a solution for all my problems.

Is there anybody who knows what happened? I tried to find a fuse, but I couldn't find it. Why did the lamps in the trailer stopped working?
Any tips?

Thanks for your help.

blacky
blacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF Blacky... I moved this to the Tech Forum to get more exposure and potential help to your question
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

My first thought is you have tripped the main breaker in your converter. Sounds like you overloaded it with two heavy high current loads at the same time. If you have no battery or it is dead that would result in your in your loss of lights.
In your converter you will find circuit breakers for all your 120V stuff. Outlets, microwave, air conditioner, converter/charger. All of your 12V items are protected by automotive type fuses. Lights, water pump, furnace, water heater controls (if it is a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) type).

Your water heater and furnace issue is a little more difficult to diagnose. You did not indicate how old your unit is. The water heater and furnace problem could be the result of insects converting those things into their own condo's.

Post information on your camper model. How long has it been sitting unused? Include information on your furnace, water heater, etc. We will try to help some more.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
My first thought is you have tripped the main breaker in your converter. Sounds like you overloaded it with two heavy high current loads at the same time. If you have no battery or it is dead that would result in your in your loss of lights.
In your converter you will find circuit breakers for all your 120V stuff. Outlets, microwave, air conditioner, converter/charger. All of your 12V items are protected by automotive type fuses. Lights, water pump, furnace, water heater controls (if it is a DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) type).

Your water heater and furnace issue is a little more difficult to diagnose. You did not indicate how old your unit is. The water heater and furnace problem could be the result of insects converting those things into their own condo's.

Post information on your camper model. How long has it been sitting unused? Include information on your furnace, water heater, etc. We will try to help some more.

Thanks for responding so quickly. This night the lamps worked again. They turned on in the middle of the night.

The Model: 2009 Jayco Jay Series tent trailer. I bought it last September and used it once. It was in my garage until I winterized it in Last December. i brought it to a big parking lot of my company where I left it until I put it back into my garage 14 days ago.

Do you need more infos?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacky View Post
Thanks for responding so quickly. This night the lamps worked again. They turned on in the middle of the night.

The Model: 2009 Jayco Jay Series tent trailer. I bought it last September and used it once. It was in my garage until I winterized it in Last December. i brought it to a big parking lot of my company where I left it until I put it back into my garage 14 days ago.

Do you need more infos?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi again, I think the breaker is the problem. The 15A breaker is down and I can't lift it up again. Do you think I have to buy a new breaker or is there a problem with the wires now?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

If you can't "lift" or reset the breaker then it is bad and will require replacement. I assume you are not meaning when you reset it it immediately trips again.

Wait a second. Did you push it to OFF first? You must do that to reset a breaker.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

I couldn't push it further down. Do you think I have the change just the breaker? that's probably easy done. I was scarred that I have to exchange the wires?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #8

If the breaker won't reset then yes, it will have to be replaced. It's not hard to do but you do have to remove the wire(s) connected to it. If you are not comfortable removing wires you might want to ask someone who is familiar with electric stuff to help you. What model converter do you have? I can look up the documentation on it and possibly be of more help.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 AM   #9

If the 2009 JAYCO is the 1206 model the converter is on the tent bed side.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5140858_5.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7071

This looks like a single stage converter/charger ELIXIR 30A model maybe
Name:  41bWYhzHcZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  13.1 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKp!E0UNLbKYcBNWlgeKsRQ~~_3.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	7074
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The way you describe the lights, those are not on the breaker. They will be on the 12V fuses.
I had a similar thing happen to me last year.
It ended up being the limit switch that was activated when the sink was lifted into place.
The limit switch spring must have gotten weak and wasn't making contact when the sink pushed down on it.
I ended folding a plastic bag between the switch and sink to push the switch down further and everything worked fine.
When I got home, I taped over the switch with a piece of Velcro that was thick enough to do the same thing.

That might be the issue with your lights if fuses are ok.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #11

That might account for the lights coming back on in the middle of the night hehe... Good point Mr Doug... I have had problems with my 2008 Starcraft ceiling lights push button switch under the sink as well... All those things sure take a beating it seems.

Of course he might have a live-in ghost too...

I am going to setup my tent trailer this next coming weekend here at Camp Backyard and give it a good shake down and re-stock all the items. At least locate all of the items I usually carry on the trips. I have been looking for my Sears Clamp-on AMPMETER all winter long - Sure hope that falls out of box in the POPUP. I'd rather find all of the loose ends here at the house before heading out on the road somewhere...

Looks like my two each standard issue 12VDC GP24 Interstate batteries made the winter ok - They looking good on their state of charge. Don't think this 170AHs of batteries is going to do me very well. I have been getting by just fine with three batteries (255Ahs) but lost one last season. Started out with four 85AH batteries in 2008 and down to two now - Not all that bad for five years of use I reckon. Most of the trips was camping off the power grid as well. Its about time to go for a whole new set of something...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #12

Sorry and thank you guys. You guys are great.
Power is back. I reseted the breaker. I was so stupid. I just pushed a little harder and it worked.
Sorry I forgot to tell you the Model, its a 1207.

I will send more infos about the furnace when I'm back home. Right now the night temperature is back in the 60's so I don't need it.