Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

FYI - 2017 Eagle TT's and Residential Refrigerator Option

I have been having a discussion for a week or so in regards to how many batteries can be installed in the new 2017 Eagle TT's, which includes the 338RETS, 320RLTS, 333BHOK, and the one we ordered, the 330RSTS.

During that research into "real world" runtimes, as well as discussions with both the salesman and the Jayco rep, the consensus was that we would need at least 2 group 27 12v's to get close to the 6-8 hour runtimes we wanted for the occasional Wal-Mart overnighter, in the event of a TV breakdown, etc. Our plans do NOT include any boon docking for more than that and if they did, I would take our two Honda's along. Even the Jayco rep said that when they qualified/tested the setup at Jayco, they used 2 batteries although he didn't say what size/type.

Anyway, before we heard back from Jayco with a definitive answer to our questions, the dealership received another 330RSTS they had ordered and the salesman ran out to see what the battery tray looked like. He was shocked as were the Jayco rep, and now me at what he found. Guess the tray on that unit was only big enough for "1 BATTERY", period! Now, this particular unit did come with the 12 cu. ft. gas/elec reefer, but unless Jayco is specifically adding a second battery tray somewhere (my salesman said he couldn't see a place where they could) when a unit is ordered with the residential refrigerator, there is no "stock" way to install more than 1.

Our salesman has a call into the Eagle TT product manager about this, but if we are truly stuck with 1, then we may have to seriously consider changing our order to the 12 cu. ft. reefer. We waited 6 months to place our order specifically because the DW wanted the residential refrigerator so I truly hope there is a way to install at least 2. Otherwise, for as long as we own this trailer, I will never hear the end of it!!!!

The only other "workaround" I can think of at the moment is to construct a tray in the front pass thru and use AGM batteries instead of flooded. But then that will take away from the already limited "underneath" storage capacity. We are going to the dealership tomorrow to take a look at the unit they just got in to do some other measuring before ours gets here and will see if they have any further information. But in my opinion, Jayco seems to have seriously dropped the ball with this new model design choice.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

I have a 2016 338rets and there is a place for 2 batteries behind the propane tanks. Not sure if they changed it for 2017.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I have a 2016 338rets and there is a place for 2 batteries behind the propane tanks. Not sure if they changed it for 2017.
We looked at the 2016's and saw that also so just one more reason that this caught us by complete surprise.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that Jayco would limit a trailer of this size to one battery, especially one that comes prewired for solar AND offer it with a power hog option like a residential refrigerator that was previously limited to 5er's and MH's. Heck, even my current Coachmen that we are trading in, and that offers neither of those, has a tray behind the tanks that can hold 3 batteries.

On another note John, I sent you a PM a few days ago about your hitch. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Well, I am glad to report that my concerns about only having room for one battery were unfounded after all. We took a trip to the dealer to look at a 330RSTS that they had ordered for their own inventory and it proved to be worthwhile.

First, the angle iron rails the salesman found and used that to tell me that there could only be 1 battery, are located right behind the tongue jack and in front of the propane tank access panel. They measure 8" apart and 11" wide so "just" big enough for one standard 12v battery.

What he didn't see was the second set of rails that are located behind the propane tanks but are UNDER the frame rails. So unless you either remove the propane tanks or crawl under the trailer, you don't see them whatsoever.

The exposed rails are just big enough to hold one battery, however the hidden rails are 41" long so there is room for at least 3 batteries. I am not so sure that having the battery tray welded underneath the frame like that is a great idea because if it ever broke loose, but I guess time will tell.

I could also see where it would be kind of clunky if one ever wanted to go to a 4 battery setup with 6v batteries. One set would be wired close together, but the other pair would have to use cables about 3-4' long.

But at least you could if you wanted. I have attached a pic of the "hidden" battery tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Tray.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

If you have the Larger Solar Kit ( we ordered the kit) you will have plenty of room for the Batteries ! Ours will have 3 panels to help keep batteries charged
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote