Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2018, 05:58 AM   #1

Question Generator wattage

Hi all,
I’m brand new to this and would like some feedback on generator size. I’m running an 8,000 BTU AC and a 1000 watt Microwave in a Jayflight SLX 174BH. The RV dealerships tell me I need at least 4,000 running watts. However, I’ve read on many sites that all I need somewhere between 2500 to 3500 running watts. Any advice/suggestions?
Byabko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

I don't think you have to get 4000w. I like this one.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

You can also get two 2000w and a parallel kit.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe the dealership is figuring if you run EVERYTHING (AC, microwave, water heater) all at the same time. In reality, most RVers would choose not to do that.

Or maybe they want to sell you the largest, most expensive generator.

What are your plans for the generator? Will you boondock (camp without hookups) where you need to run the AC a lot?
Or???
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

2naEagle: thank you for the link!

OldmanAZ: I am planning on going dry camping in Southern Utah where it gets pretty hot. So we will likely need the AC for those trips.
Byabko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #5

The problem I found with generators is most places here on the East side of the US do not allow you to run generators generally after 8PM or before 8AM the next morning. That's when I like my A/C the best haha...

Everyone has their own needs for generators I guess... I get by just fine here with my very quiet 2KW Honda. I only need it to run my OFF-ROAD Trailer shore power connection for around three hours each day to charge my battery bank back up to its 90% charge state. Then we are good to run thru the next day/night until 8Am the next morning off our batteries. Of course this is our OFF-GRID mode and we don't get to use our Air Conditioner or high wattage Microwave...

We don't suffer any at all running off the batteries... Watch HDTV every night and inside and outside is all lit up just like we camp at shore power places... We eat good too and get to live in the outdoors...

Will do this for a week or so somewhere OFF-GRID and then back to the Camp Grounds that has shore power...

Its all in the planning

Roy Ken
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byabko View Post
2naEagle: thank you for the link!

OldmanAZ: I am planning on going dry camping in Southern Utah where it gets pretty hot. So we will likely need the AC for those trips.
As long as you are on BLM land, the noise requirement is different than in Arches, Zion, Bryce, etc... That will be a big decision maker on the generator you buy too. You are right on the mark about the total wattage you will need, and running the AC in our southern part of the state is almost constant to keep the inside reasonably comfortable for kids/pets.

Always lean towards the larger capacity generator... as when it is hot outside, the generator has to cool itself down too at heavy loads.

oh... and welcome to the forum!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

I got my Champion at this place.
https://www.supergenproducts.com/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi all,
I’m brand new to this and would like some feedback on generator size. I’m running an 8,000 BTU AC and a 1000 watt Microwave in a Jayflight SLX 174BH. The RV dealerships tell me I need at least 4,000 running watts. However, I’ve read on many sites that all I need somewhere between 2500 to 3500 running watts. Any advice/suggestions?
Your ac will draw about 1800 watts on start up and 1200 while running...1800+1000 = 2800...your converter will be drawing power for the battery as well as the propane detector. If you are not running the microwave at the same time, you can get away with a 3000 watt generator. I use a Champion 3100 inverter generator for my travel trailer
Old 08-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #9

Just for reference, my trailer pulls 18.6A @ 118.6VAC (2218W ignoring AC power factor...) with the following things running:
  1. 15kbtu AC unit
  2. Interior LED Lights
  3. 8 cu.ft. refrigerator
  4. 40" TV
  5. Stereo
  6. Battery charging from power converter
We run a 2800w running / 3100w peak Champion generator from Costco, and it has no problem keeping up. It would probably get close and perhaps trip out if I started the microwave at the same time the AC and everything else is running...but may make it if I shut off the refrigerator (about 2.7A/325W).

Given that your AC unit is just over half the size of mine, I would not hesitate to say that my 2800/3100w generator could handle your AC and microwave together.

Alternately, you could just flip the AC off for a minute or two while you run the microwave...and get away with a smaller 2000w generator. Downside is that the 3000w+ generators often have a 30A RV outlet, whereas the 2000w generators only have 15A or 20A household outlets. Not a big deal, most of us usually have the appropriate adapters to get over to 15A for storage plug-in anyway.

The bigger generator you run, the more fuel it will eat...even at partial load. My generator runs around 3-4hrs on 1.6gal of gas with the AC running full blast on a hot humid Texas day, so I have to consider how much fuel to lug along to keep it going. You would probably get 4-6hrs (depending on the outside conditions) of run time with your smaller AC unit.

The Champion generator I have is a bit of a pain to get in and out of the back of the truck because it weighs 100lbs! But I can say it does fit under my jackrabbit tonneau cover without any problem so I can keep it all locked up in my truck bed. The smaller 2000w Honda/Yamaha type generators are super light and portable, but mine has wheels...which are terrible on gravel or soft ground.

Oh, one more thing...whatever you buy make sure it has clean sine wave inverter power with low distortion meant for electronics. Your electronics (especially the microwave and TV) don't do well on the cheap high-wattage super loud generators you find for under $500.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #10

Y'All leaving out the amazing DIFFERENCE a Micro-Air Soft Start does to those numbers on the generator.
There is ALOT mentioned on this forum about the Micro-Air Soft starts.

I run my ac and the other electrical stuff (not counting the microwave on (1) 2000 Watt Yamaha inverter generator. Sometimes if I am using the microwave, I'll either shut down the AC or run my 2nd Yamaha in parallel.

2 47 pound generators are much easier to manipulate around than 1 130 pound generator.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi all,
I went down the path of a Westinghouse igen 4500(3700 running watts), it has a 3.4 gal tank will run upto 21 hours at low, or 18 hours at 25% load (this is 5.3 hours per gallon at 925 watts)- I typically get about 15 hours running my 15k btu a/c, residential refrigerator, 50” TV, etc. (about 1800 watts at max), it weighs 98lbs, fits under tanneu cover, has 30amp rv plug, wireless remote start/stop, wheels and telescoping handle, digital monitor that shows - fuel level, run time remaining at current load, current power draw.

$950 and has a 3 year warranty
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #12

Microwave, blow dryer, toaster, coffee maker, AC, etc are all high draw units. If you are careful to run one at a time your power needs are much lower.

I used a 2400 Yamaha to run our old RV. It has a std 13k AC and the genset did fine, as long as none of the other high draw stuff was running. I suspect a 2000W unit would run your 8k AC just fine.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #13

You might want to consider a dual fuel inverter. I run a Champion 3400/3060 Watt unit. I normally run on propane, which gives me about 14-18 hours on a small (BBQ) bottle and I still can run on gasoline if needed. In addition, I don't have to worry about running the carb empty on shutdown and not having to clean it.

Also, if you use a gas model, run it on non-ethanol gas. Less worry about water in fuel, fuel separation, etc. It will also last much longer.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #14

We are using Champion 3500 Inverter like remote start. Definitely heavy at 110 lbs,
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #15

To figure your load you can just use volts x amps=power so if you have 30A service you have 120v x 30A = 3600W so that will be the max you should need.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
You might want to consider a dual fuel inverter. I run a Champion 3400/3060 Watt unit. I normally run on propane, which gives me about 14-18 hours on a small (BBQ) bottle and I still can run on gasoline if needed. In addition, I don't have to worry about running the carb empty on shutdown and not having to clean it.

Also, if you use a gas model, run it on non-ethanol gas. Less worry about water in fuel, fuel separation, etc. It will also last much longer.
X2

In addition to running on 90 octane non ethanol gas - I recommend treating your fuel with stabil to prevent any long term carb issues.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #17

Please remember that not all folks out camping like the sound of a generator any time of the day. I would suggest that you do everything you can to minimize generator use. If you must use the generator buy the quietest one you can find and keep as far from your neighbors as possible. Myself I use solar. I can boondock just fine without using a generator.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #18

That is why we enjoy solar the quiet!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spud View Post
Please remember that not all folks out camping like the sound of a generator any time of the day. I would suggest that you do everything you can to minimize generator use. If you must use the generator buy the quietest one you can find and keep as far from your neighbors as possible. Myself I use solar. I can boondock just fine without using a generator.
Solar works for some... who don't have/use AC when camping in the heat, but Solar will not sustain an Air Conditioner.

I have in our 42 years of boondocking found that you will find someone nearby that will complain about anything you might have going on in our campsite. Some of the things we have had some grumpy old dude come over to complain about:
** Kids too noisy when playing catch (they are certainly louder than the generator).
** Dogs, on the leash.. Off the leash... peeing on the trees... barking at the grumpy old dude coming into our camp with a big stick in a threatening manner, even leaving their water bowl out overnight.
** Friends arriving at camp late at night (headlights of the car are disturbing their wildlife)
** Having a campfire, Tyler playing guitar (acoustic) at the campfire.
** and the worst of all - running our genny at 2PM-4PM to charge our batteries and cool down the insides (over 100F inside) when the grump was not even in camp.

Solar is not going to solve any of these either.... so, run the Genny when it is needed - the grump will come over and complain about something, no matter what.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, running watts