Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Getting rid of sulfur smell from hot water tank

In the past, I've gone to the local pharmacy and bought a couple bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide, put them in the hot water tank and let it sit for a few hours. Even though this does work, I'm wondering if there's a "special" product available for this.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #2

Yes, it's called Hydrogen Peroxide.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

If you drain the heater after each use you'll likely not have the sulfur smell. To get rid of the smell, pour a bleach/water solution into the fresh tank and pump it through the water system including the water heater and let it sit for 3-4 hours or longer, then drain and rinse. I do this twice a year and it keeps everything fresh.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
If you drain the heater after each use you'll likely not have the sulfur smell. To get rid of the smell, pour a bleach/water solution into the fresh tank and pump it through the water system including the water heater and let it sit for 3-4 hours or longer, then drain and rinse. I do this twice a year and it keeps everything fresh.

According to the manual you should bypass the water heater when sanitizing. But what does jayco know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Team

I left the tank full a few months in the summer, went camping, and had the rotten hot water smell. When I got home I sanitized the system as normal with bleach and water solution 1/4 cup to 15 gallons and no more smell.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
According to the manual you should bypass the water heater when sanitizing. But what does jayco know?

That is for general sanitizing, I'm sure. If you have a specific problem... such as sulfur smell from your water heater, you need to sanitize it to eliminate the smell.

To prevent the smell, I simply empty my low point drains after every trip. We've not always done this and had the sulfur smell, it was a pain to get rid of. I try to avoid it at all costs now...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

While staying at a KOA this past summer we ran into this with our hot water. In the manual for the Atwood water heater there is the process for eliminating the odor with vinegar. One of the seasonal campers also let use borrow a spray wand that easily flushes the crud that builds up at the bottom of the tank. I removed the pressure relief valve from the top of the tank to really flush the tank. Odor was gone and did not have any other issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W...ter+spray+wand
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
While staying at a KOA this past summer we ran into this with our hot water. In the manual for the Atwood water heater there is the process for eliminating the odor with vinegar. One of the seasonal campers also let use borrow a spray wand that easily flushes the crud that builds up at the bottom of the tank. I removed the pressure relief valve from the top of the tank to really flush the tank. Odor was gone and did not have any other issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11691-W...ter+spray+wand

I don’t think those “wands” are meant for a hot water tank.

nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #9

Not to argue but it's right in the product description and the reviews.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote