Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #1

Google phone

I have been using a TracFone while I have been in the US and although it is better than nothing I have had lots of problems with it.

Last week I heard that you could set up a Google gmail account which includes a telephone option that will be free for one year North America wide.

I set it up and then contacted Dell for my new laptop to make sure my Mic was turned on and as I have a three year contract with them they checked out my computer and I was ready to go EXCEPT, I could make a call and I could hear the call going through and the person on the end of the line came in loud and really clear but they could not hear me.

Has anyone signed up on this service and were you able to set it up properly?

I can't find out where to call for tech support at Google. Anyone have a phone number or at least a e-mail address?
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Have you tried looking here?

http://support.google.com/voice/?hl=en

I have had Google Voice now for what seems like a couple of years but I only use it for incoming calls. It records the voice message then sends it to my cell phone as a text message. If it's important, I can go back, listen to the message and reply appropriately.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Have you tried looking here?

http://support.google.com/voice/?hl=en

I have had Google Voice now for what seems like a couple of years but I only use it for incoming calls. It records the voice message then sends it to my cell phone as a text message. If it's important, I can go back, listen to the message and reply appropriately.
I have tried everything under the sun but still can't get an answer. All they talk about is iphones and androids etc. but nothing about using the computer to make a call. Is there a tech site at Google where you can talk to a real person?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
I have tried everything under the sun but still can't get an answer. All they talk about is iphones and androids etc. but nothing about using the computer to make a call. Is there a tech site at Google where you can talk to a real person?
I've never seen a live support number... but I suppose that's because it's free stuff.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

There really is no live person you can call at Google for tech support unless you have some of the enterprise accounts that you pay for....tech support is generally limited to their online help.

How are you getting internet and have you tried it on a different provider? It could be a firewall issue that is not letting the traffic pass through properly. That is actually quite common on VOIP.

I would consider myself close to an expert on VOIP and I have to tell you that using soft phones on public WiFi and hotspots is going to be very unreliable. Net10 and Tracphones actually do work very well when you have good coverage. They often use various providers (AT&T or T-Mobile) depending on where you activate the phone. Generally if you can get it activated in a rural market you will get an AT&T Sim which will give you much better coverage.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

I found a google voice forum and they showed me what extra step I needed to do and it works perfectly, so if anyone wants a free phone while camping or traveling in North America all you need is your computer, WiFi and for better reception a cheap headset with Mic.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get my own phone number so people can call me if I am in the right WiFi zone. I love the sound of free and I don't have to use my TracFone that is running out of minutes.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Hey Alberta Guy... (from a fellow Calgarian). If you are carrying a laptop with you.. you can use Google Voice free from the Gmail account. Because we are from Canada, it's my understanding that we can call out no problem, but we can't get a google phone number. You may be able to set up a Google Voice account in the US and get a number that way. I'm running on iPhone, and use the freebe's iMessage and Skype for calls to family. If your phone is running Android, check for Dell Voice. They register a Canadian phone number to your account and is all free. Only drawback is that it's only in major canadian centres. They do have a list on their site of supported cities (Calgary is included). I use it on iPhone no problems...

Hope that helps.
Daxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
Hey Alberta Guy... (from a fellow Calgarian). If you are carrying a laptop with you.. you can use Google Voice free from the Gmail account. Because we are from Canada, it's my understanding that we can call out no problem, but we can't get a google phone number. You may be able to set up a Google Voice account in the US and get a number that way. I'm running on iPhone, and use the freebe's iMessage and Skype for calls to family. If your phone is running Android, check for Dell Voice. They register a Canadian phone number to your account and is all free. Only drawback is that it's only in major canadian centres. They do have a list on their site of supported cities (Calgary is included). I use it on iPhone no problems...

Hope that helps.
I do use my laptop and for outgoing calls it works great. I can't understand why Google does not recognize Cdn area codes, but I did register a AZ number but then found I needed a alternate number for my phone to ring on a cell phone or my landline number. I was going to use my TracFone number but decided I did not want to add more minutes as I head home on the 1st. of March, but as long as I can find a WiFi spot on the way home I will be happy, plus I have a few minutes left on TracFone for emergencies and once I hit the border I will use my regular cell.

I have a new Dell laptop so I should check that out in regards to Dell voice. Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #9

I just registered for my Dell voice phone number, downloaded the App, got a Calgary phone number and phoned home and then had my wife phone me back and it worked like a charm and I am down here in Yuma. It only works for Canadians right now but may come here in the US soon. There is no cost for this service except I understand that if I wish to call another country then a few cents is required.

It is amazing how technology has evolved.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

That's great that it works so easy! I'm have it installed, but haven't registered it yet. May have to do that before i head out. Are you at the Sun Vista Park in Yuma?
Daxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxton View Post
That's great that it works so easy! I'm have it installed, but haven't registered it yet. May have to do that before i head out. Are you at the Sun Vista Park in Yuma?
I was at Los Amigos in Yuma but I an on my way home right now and am just north of St. George in a Good Sam's RV park in Leeds.