Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

gray tank fell off!

Hi all, my husband and I are pretty new to the camping world. We have a 2013 267BHS Flightswift. We bought it brand new, but we've only gotten out in it maybe a dozen times, and at least half of those we didn't use the water.

So despite being 4 years old, use-wise, it's still pretty much brand new. This past weekend we were using the water and thus the tanks...the gray tank was full but before we could empty it, it fell off onto the ground...nothing at all was connected to the camper anymore. Just flat out, boom...on the ground.

Please tell me this isn't normal and to be expected once the tank is full. I mean, people can and do drive with stuff in the tanks right? There should be almost no possibility of the tank falling off, correct? I'd imagine it would cause a bad accident if it happened while on the road and someone swerved to avoid it. Especially considering its age and the fact that the tanks haven't been used much.

So of course, we're out of warranty. But I think Jayco should have to fix it, because it must be some sort of faulty installation or something. So far I have tried emailing their parts dept on the main website (only other choice was cust service and sales) and I got back a lame scripted email about contacting the nearest dealer for parts. Any info on who and how to contact to get this fixed and the costs covered? I don't even know where to begin. Does anyone know of any info of this being a known issue with this year/model? I did find one other post on here from 2013 of the same thing happening with the same year/model, but more examples would be great. Thanks!

camper queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #2

I have read about this happening in RV.net from people with other brands as well so it's not specific to Jayco. I do not think Jayco will cover something 2 years out of warranty nor would I expect them to. Have you crawled under the camper to determine why it fell (if possible). Maybe rust or metal fatigue on the straps contributed to the problem.

Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #3

Yes, other people have had it happen. And be glad it wasn't the black tank

Our old fiver just had a couple of perforated steel straps holding the tanks up. Just by chance I was under it one day and noticed one strap had worked the hole large enough to slip through the strap. I put in new screws with large washers and added a third strap to all the tanks.
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:46 AM   #4

Wow. I can't imagine that happening. Thankfully like you said, you were not traveling on the road at the time. Glad you're ok. I'd be pretty upset to. Let us know what Jayco says once you get ahold of a real person there.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:50 AM   #5

This is very concerning, lucky for you it happened where it did.I’’ll be curious to hear what you find out. Our unit has an enclosed underbelly and is a 2008, I’m tempted to by an inspection camera and inspect mine. Keep us posted on what you find, I would think Jayco would want to find out if there is an issue as well so they could contact people of a potential problem if indeed there is one.
John H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper queen View Post
So far I have tried emailing their parts dept on the main website (only other choice was cust service and sales) and I got back a lame scripted email about contacting the nearest dealer for parts.
That's who you would "e" mail, not parts.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

I don't think Jayco or any other manufacturer would cover this. Did you do any pre-trip inspections of the trailer before you headed out? There should have been something visible leading up to this failure that could have been addressed prior to it happening.

I'm not blaming you but instead pointing out how important it is to give your entire rig a once over at regular intervals. There are many things that need attention that are not "Routine" Some of the things that should be looked at on a semi regular basis in my opinion - Wheels / tires, suspension, coupler, water lines, gas lines brake wiring, bumper / hitch welds, the list can go on.

Things will loosen up over time and for your safety as well as that of others they should be checked.

Good luck in your attempts to get this repaired and keep us informed of your progress.
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The thin metal straps around the tanks are for assembly. One lip of the tank gets slipped in a cross member while the other side is installed with metal brackets screwed in solid wood pre-installed in the floor. This is standard mfg. practice.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's who you would "e" mail, not parts.
I'll try that next before I call. However it was worded, parts seemed like the most logical department. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I don't think Jayco or any other manufacturer would cover this. Did you do any pre-trip inspections of the trailer before you headed out? There should have been something visible leading up to this failure that could have been addressed prior to it happening.

I'm not blaming you but instead pointing out how important it is to give your entire rig a once over at regular intervals. There are many things that need attention that are not "Routine" Some of the things that should be looked at on a semi regular basis in my opinion - Wheels / tires, suspension, coupler, water lines, gas lines brake wiring, bumper / hitch welds, the list can go on.

Things will loosen up over time and for your safety as well as that of others they should be checked.

Good luck in your attempts to get this repaired and keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks, i get what you're saying. But is the average RV owner expected to be able to do more than standard, light maintenance (air up tires, respond to any error messages, winterize, etc). Just like with cars, the average car owner does not do any real mechanical maintenance (that involves crawling around under the vehicle inspecting things) unless something is wrong. I would think if a cars transmission for example is only held on in away that it could drop out of the car, this would be considered a huge issue that would likely be a recall.

Incidentally , we did just happen to have a 130 point inspection a few weeks prior from the dealer we bought it from. I would think any sign of wear or potential to fall off would have been noticed then.

Thanks for your reply though, I'll update if I manage to get anywhere.

Tags
flight swift, gray tank, no warranty, repairs