Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
The EMS reads in FRONT of it. Not behind.
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
The EMS reads in FRONT of it. Not behind.
I'm not sure what you mean by "The EMS reads in FRONT of it. Not behind." Can you clarify?
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mentone
Posts: 31
Open Ground

Just asking, are you sure the 20 amp outlet is properly grounded? I have hooked my RV into two separate outlets, one in garage and an exterior outlet only to find that on those particular outlets, the ground wire was never connected.
__________________
2002 Granite Ridge
2014 Honda CR-V
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralIN View Post
Just asking, are you sure the 20 amp outlet is properly grounded? I have hooked my RV into two separate outlets, one in garage and an exterior outlet only to find that on those particular outlets, the ground wire was never connected.
Yes, the 20 amp outlet is properly grounded.
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #25
VKC
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Cotton Valley
Posts: 23
Cavie seems to know and I am not an election but I wander what else runs on the house circuit. Is there something you could turn off and see if that helps?
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKC View Post
Cavie seems to know and I am not an election but I wander what else runs on the house circuit. Is there something you could turn off and see if that helps?
Yes there may be other outlets on the GFI circuit say maybe a fridge in the garage, that is adding amperage to the circuit.
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "The EMS reads in FRONT of it. Not behind." Can you clarify?
EMS reads the circuitry the you have plugging into. Garage, pedistal gen. That is infront of the EMS. It can not read say the A/C load the op is turning on. That is behind.
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
EMS reads the circuitry the you have plugging into. Garage, pedistal gen. That is infront of the EMS. It can not read say the A/C load the op is turning on. That is behind.
The EMS reads how many amps the rig is pulling for items like the A/C, water heater, converter, etc. These are after the EMS.
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:25 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
EMS reads the circuitry the you have plugging into. Garage, pedistal gen. That is infront of the EMS. It can not read say the A/C load the op is turning on. That is behind.
Agree. The hardwired EMS is only dealing with voltage/current/polarity/grounding coming into the RV and what happens to voltage and current as devices are being used. This is why the ground fault error being triggered makes no sense to me. That said I'm willing to learn something new about the functioning of this unit if it can be explained in a way that doesn't defy the basic principles of electronics.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Surge Guard model 35530 (30 amp hardwired).
Surge Guard model 35530 is NOT an EMS. It is a surge protector only. The price is a dead give away.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:54 AM   #31
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 17,732
The ones from Hughes are similar in model but far apart in action and cost.

The Hughes PWD-50 is a Surge Protector
the PWD-50-EPO is a EMS unit.

The difference in price is about $100 but it's worth it to many depending on preference.

They also make a hardwired unit. Both have bluetooth connectivity to apps.
__________________
Moderator
2011- 351RLTS Eagle, MorRyde suspension & pin box, Hughes PWD50 Power Watchdog, TST
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
B&W Turnover ball, Andersen Ultimate 3220


Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
WeRJuliian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 688
I don't know if this helps, but..

We had a similar problem, I was actually getting a "hot skin" when the TT was parked in the front of the house, but not in the back...

After a lot of back-tracking, it turned out that the house outlet at the front had been mis-wired at some time in the past

Just another argument for getting a "proper" outlet installed, by somebody who actually knows how :-)
__________________
IanP, the man from Scotland
Julie, the Lady From Little Rock

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Surge Guard model 35530 is NOT an EMS. It is a surge protector only. The price is a dead give away.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0
Incorrect. The Surge Guard model referenced above not only protects against electricity spikes but also protects against open ground, open neutral, high and low voltage and reverse polarity.
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Incorrect. The Surge Guard model referenced above not only protects against electricity spikes but also protects against open ground, open neutral, high and low voltage and reverse polarity.
That's the first time in 5 years that I have seen and EMS below $200.00. Just looked it up and it's $180.00 in 5 places. Don't know what's up with that.
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
That's the first time in 5 years that I have seen and EMS below $200.00. Just looked it up and it's $180.00 in 5 places. Don't know what's up with that.

The comparable unit from Progressive Industries would be their EMS-HW30C (currently $235 on Amazon). That unit comes with a remote digital display. The Surge Guard unit is $180 but you have to buy the remote display separately ($98) so the Surge Guard unit ends up costing more.
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
The comparable unit from Progressive Industries would be their EMS-HW30C (currently $235 on Amazon). That unit comes with a remote digital display. The Surge Guard unit is $180 but you have to buy the remote display separately ($98) so the Surge Guard unit ends up costing more.
see said the blind man
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
see said the blind man
When I leave the house it's with eye glasses and hearing aids. I'm one up on you . I use to leave the house in the morning for work, get a block away and have to turn around because I forgot my lunch. Now it's turning around because I either forgot my glasses, hearing aids or my teeth
__________________

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
When I leave the house it's with eye glasses and hearing aids. I'm one up on you . I use to leave the house in the morning for work, get a block away and have to turn around because I forgot my lunch. Now it's turning around because I either forgot my glasses, hearing aids or my teeth
Now you can go back and get your mask!
__________________
Retired Master Electrician and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
2edgesword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Now you can go back and get your mask!
Done that too...rotflol!
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.