Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #1

Ground plane for tpo roof?

Are there any kits out there or just grab a metal panel and dicor it to the roof?
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
Site Team

What type antenna needs a ground plane on the roof?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

I needed a ground plane for a small magnetic mount XM antenna. I fastened a small metal bracket to the metal rim of a ceiling vent and fastened a small piece of sheet metal to that.

If I needed a large ground plane, I'd probably screw it to the top of a vent cover, eg a MaxAire vent topper. I would not like to make more holes in my roof.

Maybe there is an antenna that does not require a separate ground plane available for your application?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
What type antenna needs a ground plane on the roof?
Many antenna's need a ground plane, and a typical vehicle being metal provides that. but RV's can be a challenge with the rubber roofs. Ham Radio, CB radio, etc.

CarlB, What is the antenna for? and what mount? You can buy radials or make one. for most antenna's the ground plane just needs to hook to the outside conductor of the antenna cable and does not have to be tied to the ground of the body. Here are some ideas
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #5

Looking at this system - http://www.amazon.com/weBoost-Drive-...dp/B00RHMFPEU/
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Long story short, I have about 30 days to get to Alaska and back, but cannot take that many consequtive days off. As I am in IT presales, I can do a lot over the phone and via webex, so my phone needs to work as well as it can. Yes I realize there are some areas of BC and Yukon where there is absolutely NO coverage, but I should be out of those in a couple days.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Wilson has a few antennas with built in ground plane that could be ladder mounted.

Cell Phone Antennas and Antenna Boosters | WilsonAmplifiers
Old 06-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Good info! Another idea would be to ask someone who has a ham antenna already mounted. I never seen a ham radio operator who didn't like to talk about his setup.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Are the vent caps over the gas fridge still steel? Would that give enough surface area?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #10

I've used the Wilson Sleek (link) and Wilson Trucker Antenna with a Verizon Jetpack for a couple of years. Verizon 4-G is available widely (but not everywhere) and the antenna and amplifier help in those situations where there is an on again and off again 1 bar signal. Obviously nothing works where there is not signal all. I have the antenna mounted to my ladder.

It is NOT recommended that a telephone device be held to your ear when it is in the amplifier cradle; too much RF. I have used a phone in the cradle as a speaker phone.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Are the vent caps over the gas fridge still steel? Would that give enough surface area?
Even if they are that's probably not enough of a ground plane. A ground plane if part of the antenna and helps pull in the signal. It's not just for the magnet to hold to.

for the OP's usage I'd suggest an antenna with built in ground plane and would even think about a telescoping mount hooked to the ladder so that you could get elevation. Lots of Hams use a Flag Pole buddy for this.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
A ground plane if part of the antenna and helps pull in the signal. It's not just for the magnet to hold to.
I knew that, but at the wavelengths used for satellite communications (under 10cm) how much ground plane do you need?

[I'd like to argue about the ground plane being an integral part of the antenna, but its been way too many years since I had to work the math and physics of converting magnetic waves to electrical signals.]

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

Depends on what frequency the carrier is using for cellular ground based antennas. Cellular frequencies range from 700MHz to about 2170MHz. A full wave length antenna would be 14.6 to 5.4 inches. Depending on the area, AT&T for example, could have LTE on any of the bands.

So if the carrier is operating near 2100Mhz the stubby magnet mount would be close to a 3/4 wave, but if they are using 700Mhz then the stubby would only be a 1/4 wave.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Long story short, I have about 30 days to get to Alaska and back, but cannot take that many consequtive days off. As I am in IT presales, I can do a lot over the phone and via webex, so my phone needs to work as well as it can. Yes I realize there are some areas of BC and Yukon where there is absolutely NO coverage, but I should be out of those in a couple days.
Hey CarlB--Just wanted to add that while many of our road systems have cell service it is still wild and remote in some places. I'd say even first couple hundred miles into Alaska your service might be sketchy. There are several places just outside of towns that are "dead zones". It's come a long way up here in the last 20 years, but expect dropped calls. Who is your service provider? We have Verizon up here now but don't believe what the commercials show, they have few of their own towers yet.

Are you coming to Fairbanks at all? What are your plans for your visit?
alaskahofferts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #15

Fairbanks is our primary stopping point followed by Denali, possibly anchorage for a little lollipop route back to the alcan. An army buddy is stationed up there, flying Chinooks, and another Army buddy is over in Anchorage. We are with Verizon. I have told my handlers that there will be a few days where I will be off grid so to speak.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Fairbanks is our primary stopping point followed by Denali, possibly anchorage for a little lollipop route back to the alcan. An army buddy is stationed up there, flying Chinooks, and another Army buddy is over in Anchorage. We are with Verizon. I have told my handlers that there will be a few days where I will be off grid so to speak.

Construction is B A D on the Parks Hwy this summer, that takes us to ANC. But it's typical. Maybe we will link up. Be good to meet another forum member up here.

2015 GMC 3500HD SRW 6.6 CCSB (Daily Driver/TV)
2012 Jayco 25 RKS
Living the dream in AK!
alaskahofferts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Suggestion: For go the trip to Ak until you have the time to enjoy the trip. Sounds like you are facing something like a marathon run. Just doesn't sound like too much fun spending half or more of your trip driving to and from AK while trying to keep up with Business via the phone. I'm not sure any type of ant. will help all that much with cell reception as the ones I'm familiar with only enhance reception by a few miles. Many areas of Canada and remote Ak have dead zones for hundreds of miles. I know sat phones are expensive to operate, but that may be your best alternative.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #18

Its our tenth wedding anniversary, so we had this planned for a little while. As I am not retired, a sabattical or a consequtive 30 day vacation is not an option. I just need to be available one day a week to keep my peers from being overwhelmed, and my account manager from pestering my boss too much.

This may be our first trip to AK, but will not likely be our last.

alaskahofferts - yes that would be cool to meet up if we could.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #19

One other Wilson Trucker antenna is a roof mount. You have to drill a hole from the roof string through to the inside but you normally have the inside part enter into a cabinet. It's 18" tall so you need to place it no higher than 12' off the ground when in travel mode so you stay under 13'6". It comes with bevelled washers to it will mount vertical when near the edge of a curved roof.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #20

Right now I am not up for new holes in the roof :-)

I will likely get the spring mounted one and attach it to the ladder, running the cable in through the fridge vent. I just have to figure out how to route and mount the rest of it once inside, as well as finding a 12V wire to attach this to in the coach itself.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL