Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
MTK

Handle repair

There is a handle rail on our 2014 Jayco White Hawk mounted on the side of the trailer to grab as you go up the steps to enter. The screws let loose. The trailer walls are very thin of course so just going to a larger screw doesn't seen like it will be a good long term fix. Any ideas on how to remount the hand rail to the trailer
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

fill holes with toothpicks and woodglue and screw it back on
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Those are typically screwed into the metal frame around the door. Toothpicks won't hold the weight those are designed to hold. If you are in the metal frame and it pulled out, you may be able to raise or lower it slightly to screw into solid metal stud.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
MTK

I think I understand but how can I find the metal stud ?
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
jfg

The studs run vertical. So if you align it with the previous location, only slightly higher or lower, you should hit the same stud.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

You can fill the holes with an epoxy like J/B Weld then redrill the hole with the proper size bit and remount. Make sure you pack the epoxy in as far as you can. Give it time to set and cure before remounting.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
There is a handle rail on our 2014 Jayco White Hawk mounted on the side of the trailer to grab as you go up the steps to enter. The screws let loose. The trailer walls are very thin of course so just going to a larger screw doesn't seen like it will be a good long term fix. Any ideas on how to remount the hand rail to the trailer
I saw a different approach to that repair. The handle pulled off, and pulled the screws out. So the dealer drilled it all the way through and remounted the handle with stainless steel bolts and large washers on the inside. Worked great. If you get the right length bolt, it won't stick out beyond the nut. Or you could put a plastic cap on it if the bolt sticks out too far.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Guess you could try a larger screw.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I saw a different approach to that repair. The handle pulled off, and pulled the screws out. So the dealer drilled it all the way through and remounted the handle with stainless steel bolts and large washers on the inside. Worked great. If you get the right length bolt, it won't stick out beyond the nut. Or you could put a plastic cap on it if the bolt sticks out too far.

Roger
This is what I would recommend. If the screws are too long, you can cut them with a hack saw. Just be sure to run a couple of nuts on above where you make the cut, then file the cut end to remove any burrs before removing the two nuts. On the inside you can use acorn nuts so there aren't any sharp places to snag on.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Very interesting and timely - We just bought a nice Dometic Milenco safety hand rail. It looks fairly well made.

I am installing it today. It came with pretty substantial stainless screws. Jayco sent me the wall drawings, and two separate Jayco reps told me that there is ample backer in the wall to install this grab handle. In the drawings that Jayco sent, there is supposed to be a 1x1.5x19" wood backer along the door edge (where our small OE handle was installed). And apparently there is metal too, but I am not clear where the metal is. If this is true, then there should be material for mounting the larger bar that has 15" vertical spacing between the mounting screws.

After reading that the OP's OE has dislodged from its factory installation, I am wondering what is the best way to install this upgrade to our unit today. Feathers and WhiteHawks share the same wall materials and construction. Backers vary according to models, but the materials in the wall around the doors is the same, and the laminated wall construction is the same.

1. Should I assume that the screws are going to eventually pull away and go ahead and drill through the wall and use finish nuts on the interior?

2. Should I stick with the kit's screws and use the new bar's instructions and do the wall drill fix when they eventually come loose?

3.Should I use the kit's screws and put a little adhesive fill in the screw holes?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think I understand but how can I find the metal stud ?
Email Jayco with the VIN and request your wall drawings. The drawings reveal where there is steel and wood backers in the walls.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote