Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Hello- TV... 12v or can it be a 110?

I just bought my first TT, a Jayco Jay Flight. My question is, for a TV to work, will it have to e a 12v or can it be a 110??
J Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #2

Most trailers have 110v and plug into the outlet on a wall.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #3

It can be either....you just need to find what works best for you.

We have 110V flat screen that we use at both our home and in the TT. When camping can use the HDTV at the 110V connection outside the TT very easily (without buying a lengthy 12V extension) and we like that option. We don't camp at places without 110V hook-up.

ADDED: It helps our options in that we have a shelf in our TT for the HDTV and do not need a permanently mounted solution....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

I use a PSW LOW WATTAGE INVERTER with my home entertainment center when camping off the power grid. My setup uses a 600WATT PSW Inverter but I have alot of other 120VAC items we want want to run. You can get away with a 300WATT PSW Inverter and have power left over to charge your cellphones, computers batteries, and several other low wattage appliances when camping off the power grid.

Inverters however are power hungry and most folks that use them also has at least a couple of batteries installed. My setup uses 255AHs of battery capacity and we camp alot off the power grid. With this setup we watch HDTV everynight and do just about everything we do at a regular camp site with electric hookup except no air conditioning or high wattage microwave use.

This does require us however to re-charge our batteries each day using our 2KW Generator and smart mode charging technology. Once the batteries are back to their 90% charge state we can do all of this all over again for the next day/night run off the batteries. We can do this 50% to 90% daily battery charge cycle for about 12-14 days without doing harm to the batteries. However after the 14 days we must re-charge to a full 100% charge state otherwise we will start doing harm to the batteries. Most camp grounds do NOT allow the use of generators except for short periods of times during the day time and using smart-mode charging technology we can can get to the 90% battery state of charge in three hours run time. Getting to the 100% charge state requires a good 12 hours of generator run time which is generally not allowed at the camp grounds so this is when we usually head for the house.

It does take some planning before you can claim being successful...

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

I run a 22" NAXA 2207 dual power LED HDTV (120VAC / 12 VDC) in my TT ($160 to $180 via Amazon). If I am just watching TV, I plug the TV into the cigarette lighter port (the one with the antenna amplifier button). I use the Wineguard digital antenna and it works terrific (about 60 Watt power draw for the TV alone). My older (2004) TT has a surround sound DVD/AM/FM system that draws 160 Watts and is only 120VAC power.
When I want to watch a DVD movie without running my generator, I plug both the TV (120VAC) and the DVD player into a WAGAN 400 Watt inverter ($40 via Amazon) that plugs into the TV cigarette lighter port. This works perfectly!!! (and no interference from A/C or furnace).
Guess What!!! It is a modified sine wave inverter....so that blows that PSW theory...at least for my setup (PSW is actually recommended for 60 hz motors and such and "some" TVs. Like I said.... Works great for boondocking whether or not I want to run the noisy generator. I am running two series 27 marine deep cycle batteries... Watched movies all night the other night (well, at least the kids did), with barely a drain on the batteries. HTH!! I highly recommend the NAXA AC/DC TV and the WAGAN inverter..... it also has two USB ports for charging cell phones, Ipads, etc.

Oh, and I also use a Solar panel battery charger, so I rarely need to run my generator when boondocking.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input.
J Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote