Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Roy,
I checked the voltage on the back of the distribution center it is plugged into = 117V
The wife has the TV with the extension cord in the back. I'll double check that when she returns.

The fault code is back on the frig and the voltage on the converter lugs is 9.4V same as battery.
So it seems like everything was surviving on the charge driving up here and now it's dropping again.

There is no voltage on the converter with the battery disconnected. That seems like sound data that says the converter is bad unless the fuses are blown. I've never connected the terminals incorrectly and only dropped the ground to test since this issue arose.

There are screws holding the fuses in the back of the converter and I have not been able to get them loose.

You should be able to check the fuses with contact points on the back can't you? They check good that way.

I couldn't find a IOTA DSL45/IQ4 on Amazon with 2 day shipment, but I did find a vendor out of Boulder Colorado.

I am going to check a local parts store when they open at 8:00am tomorrow. If they don't have it, I'll order.

Ordering over the internet tomorrow is cutting it close. They say before or on Thursday. I leave here Friday :-)

I thought the PO installed this recently, but it may have been several years ago. He fried a battery with a non-smart converter.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #22

Sounds good - Please make sure you have 120VAC on the DLS45... Plug it into a good 120VAC standard plug source.

If you can read a short across the fuse then they should be OK - they should pull right out...???? Just a standard large size ATC type plug in fuse...

The DSL45 unit should be on its own circuit breaker inside the IDP unit. Make sure that is reset and on or best thing is unplug the DLS45 120VAC plug and plug it into a good extension cord that you know for sure has 120VAC on it...

There is probably another fuse on the inside of the DLS45 unit on the circuit board but you would to take it out to get at it...
Did you have some allen wrenchs to make sure the two large cables was tight. Those actually have a torque setting so they should be rather tight. Your previous owner may not have them as tight as they should have been..

let us know you if have 120VAC feeding the DLS45 unit and can read 13.6VDC on the two large DC cable ports... Actually this DLS45 is just a 45AMP smart mode battery charger.

Here is the AMAZON link for the IOTA DLS45/IQ4 converter/charger unit... $159 I think I read
http://www.amazon.com/DLS-45-AUTOMAT...IOTA+DLS45+IQ4

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Roy,
1. I plugged the converter into a separate 120V outlet and still only seeing 9.4V now, same as battery state.
2. Lugs seem good and tight on wires.
3. I seen that same DSL 45/IQ4 on Amazon, but when you go to checkout they only offer standard shipping 3-5 business days.
4. I looked up a .pdf file for the DSL 45/IQ4 and they show 2 screws that hold the spade connectors in. They have to be loosened and I was only able to loosen 1. They check good.

Looks like a new converter has to be tracked down tomorrow.

If I am missing anything else, please advise.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #24

That pretty much sums it up I guess as the DLS 45 Converter is bad...

If there is a RV place close by you don't really have to get a IOTA model ... Maybe someone local has a Progressive Dynamics PD4645 45AMP unit... Pickup anything that is smart mode except a WFCO WF-8945 they don't like to go into smart mode sometimes....

Roger on AMAZON - I guess we have a shipping point just one state away here - seems like everything I order shows in two days here...

I get everything I need either from LOWES WALMART or AMAZON hehe...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 05-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #25

Help 12 Volt Issue - Confused as To Cause

Doug like you said in a earlier post you can buy a 12 v car charger for now instead of rushing and paying extra money for overnight shipping. I mean its just a battery charger any auto parts store or walmart will have one abd it doesn't need to be a fancy one. Thats what i would do if it was me . Good luck
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #26

Doug,

I live an hour east of Paso. If you can't get a converter in Paso Robles area, there are serveral RV dealerships/service centers near me in Fresno/Visalia area. If you want to check with them, I'd be happy to pick it up for you. I'll be heading through Paso on Wed late morning/ early afternoon, or if you needed it sooner we could work out a way to meet in the middle. PM me if I can help.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Clubhouse. I sent you a PM.

I did run up to the auto parts store and bought a battery charger.
That will keep my refrigerated food until I can get my hands on a converter.

Fault went away and battery is charging back to 100% so maybe that will save me a new battery as well.

I really appreciate all the quick and helpful responses.

Learning more about the electrical system here. Always good to know how to trouble shoot stuff.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
Site Team

Best of luck Doug, getting fixed back up. Its sure good to know members here know about this stuff and could help you make an informed diagnosis!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #29

Glad you seeing alittle bit of daylight.... stay safe...

Roy Ken

Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Best of luck Doug, getting fixed back up. Its sure good to know members here know about this stuff and could help you make an informed diagnosis!
True Crabman,

Very much appreciate the folks on here.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,

I've been following the thread.., but my electrical diagnostic abilities are limited so I decided to stay out of the kitchen.

Just thinking a little out side of the box here......;

* Before you order a new unit....., give Randy (tech support) at Best Converter a call first thing in the morning just to confirm that all the de-bug bases have been covered (sounds like they have).....: PH. 888-828-1893
http://www.bestconverter.com/

* IOTA Engineering, Tucson, AZ.: Technical Support/Service: John Kehm or Juan Barcena.....: PH. 520-294-3292

* Before ordering a new unit, identify the lowest price & best delivery, and then give Tweey's a call. Tell them your a JOF member and see if they can do anything for you on price and/or delivery......... : PH. 800-358-5894
http://tweetys.com/

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Bob,
I'll give them a call in the morning and hit up Tweety's.

Thanks for the numbers.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #33

Doug - Dont let Mr Randy sell you a WFCO WF8945 unit... They don't always work like you think they should.
Stick with IOTA DLS45/IQ4-PRogressive Dynamics PD4645 or PD9245... The PD's work everytime for me... You want to get the smart-mode charging technology unit. The PD's have four smart modes...BOOST, NORMAL, STORAGE and DESULFATION... With the pendant you can manually step thru these modes with the push of a button on the remote.

Roy Ken

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Doug,

I've been following the thread.., but my electrical diagnostic abilities are limited so I decided to stay out of the kitchen.

Just thinking a little out side of the box here......;

* Before you order a new unit....., give Randy (tech support) at Best Converter a call first thing in the morning just to confirm that all the de-bug bases have been covered (sounds like they have).....: PH. 888-828-1893
http://www.bestconverter.com/

* IOTA Engineering, Tucson, AZ.: Technical Support/Service: John Kehm or Juan Barcena.....: PH. 520-294-3292

* Before ordering a new unit, identify the lowest price & best delivery, and then give Tweey's a call. Tell them your a JOF member and see if they can do anything for you on price and/or delivery......... : PH. 800-358-5894
http://tweetys.com/

Bob
Bob, just a follow up note.
I checked with John at IOTA. He concurred with our trouble shooting and conclusions.
He did say that when I replace this unit, to take the cover off and see if the temp over-load has been melted.
He said it's a black disc the size of a penny. He said I could cut it out, solder and have as a backup.

I checked with Tweetys. They don't carry IOTA DSL45/IQ4 in stock. They would have to order.

I have a unit coming out of Boulder, CO and will be a same for same replacement.

I didn't want to buy a different unit as I have some tools, but not all my tools in case I needed to modify anything.

Thanks for all the help.

The battery charger is set up in my large grill cover and zipped up to protect from rain, but allow plenty of air flow around unit.

Everything is staying charged until I get my converter.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Just a thought...., when you get ready to "Remove/Replace IOTA Converter/Charger", would you consider starting a new thread in this same forum (Tech Talk) walking us through the remove/replace process with pics? There always seems to be an interest in the mystery around converter/charger replacement, and/or upgrades.

You could also reference (link) this thread for diagnostic background.

I'm sure it would be of interest to many.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #36

Re: Help 12 Volt Issue - Confused as To Cause

Doug,
Good to see things are looking up. I have learned a ton from this thread. Thanks to everyone that contributed I feel much more capable of troubleshooting the 12v system of out TT.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Power247,
I learned a lot about the 12V too. Feel a little more educated now.
I was pretty good with 120V systems, but I didn't think the 12V would throw me a curve.

Always love to learn something new. There was a lot of great response to this thread.

I really appreciate the folks here.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #38

Changing out the IOTA unit should be straight forward. Unplug the 120VAC plug from the receptacle... Remove the four wood screws on its four feet from the cabinet floor... Using the allen wrench remove the two large DC cables. Remove the Solid copper frame ground wire... Remove the IOTA unit from the cabinet floor... I guess this unit has the IQ4 plug-in remote SMART MODE controller unit so unplug that as well... Thats it...

When it blows the same fuses on the inside after you reinstall the new one and turn it on will be where the fun starts haha.... Hopefully it was just a component failure. Please replace the two DC CABLES in the right order - Don't reverse them... I would use tape and mark them + and - before taking them off... The two choices are if they are BLACK and WHITE cables BLACK goes to (+) and WHiTE goes to (-)... If they are RED and BLACK cables then RED goes to (+) and BLACK goes (-)... Hopefully they are wired using BLACK and WHITE cables like they are suppose to be using...

NOTE: I just looked again at your photos and see they are using BLACK and WHITE cables so you should be good to go here.... I see they mark the +12VDC connector with the RED MARK.

I have never dealt with the IOTA models but alot of folks on here like them... I would have replaced it with a PD4600 series or a PD9200 series but that is just me... When you first get the IOTA unit plug it into the 120VAC receptacle first and give it a field test. Should immediately put out 13.6VDC on the large DC cable terminals. Once you see it is working ok then procede with swaping the units out...

I think you are understanding that the IOTA IDP POWER DISTRIBUTION UNIT doesn't get touched at all. It stays in place. You are only replacing the IOTA DLS45/IQ4 unit. This should be the only unit you are buying as well...
Click image for larger version

Name:	1523-1403.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	7818

I know we have gone over this a few times but since those termnals are staring me in the face would run one last test just for me. haha... Use your MULTIMETER and place the "NEGATIVE METER LEAD" on the FRAME GROUND SOLID COPPER WIRE connection and the "POSITIVE METER LEAD" on the BLACK CABLE connection. You should read +5.5VDC or +battery voltage that may have charged up now with your new portable battery charger. The point here it must be the POSITIVE (+) DC voltage coming from your battery. The WHITE CABLE should be the NEGATIVE(-) reading or same as frame ground.

I'm still trying to figure why your IOTA unit blew up on you. Its not that old... If by any chance they are in reverse order. PLEASE DISCONNECT the two battery cables (BOTH WHITE AND BLACK CABLES) from the allen terminals of the IOTA UNIT. Then plug the IOTA UNIT back into its 120VAC receptacle and see if it RESETS itself. If it starts reading 13.6VDC then the IOTA unit is OK... After re-reading all of the previous comments I don't think I read where you ever completely disconnected the battery terminals from the IOTA unit. You always just made measurements.

Roy Ken

Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Good points Roy.
I'll check both while I have them out on the picnic table before installing the new one.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #40

I don't want to confuse the issue and I am NOT an expert on 12 volt rv topics but it is my understanding that in a 12vdc systen the negative is BLACK. Positive may be either red or white (or I suppose, any other colours you choose). I noticed that in your pictures that the black conductor is connected to the lug with a red marker. That doesn't look correct to me. Check polarity with a meter as others have suggested and decide from there. It's possible that the PO reversed the connections, confusing them with ac colours. Just my tuppence. Good luck. Tony
DocSpratly is offline   Reply With Quote