Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Help hook up Satellite

Having trouble hooking up my Winegard Carryout G2+. Have a Direct TV receiver box in the 5th wheel. I can get a great picture if I run the cable direct from the Dome to the little Winegard box.
On the outside of the RV I have three connectors. One says Satellite 1 Input, one says Cable TV input and one says Aux/Sat. 2 Input.
I know it's not the one for cable but do I connect to Satellite 1 input or Aux/Sat. 2 Input?
I am just having a hard time figuring out what to hook where AND in what order.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Photo is off my available connections on the outside of the RV
old travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Should be sat 1, sat 2 probably goes to the bedroom in case you add a receiver there.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Should be sat 1, sat 2 probably goes to the bedroom in case you add a receiver there.
Interestingly enough, our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS TT is just the opposite. I had to hook my DirecTV dish to the Aux/Sat2 to get a feed in the LR. When hooked to Sat 1, nothing.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #4

No luck

Have it hooked up to the Sat 1 and using a new cable. Nothing! Doesn't even search. Gonna start over with it on Aux/Sat 2.
Is this right...Direct Tv receiver unplugged, little Winegard box plugged in but button pushed to off. Connect cable to Dome, then push power on button on the little box and it should search for a signal. Right? IF it does find a signal then I plug in the direct TV receiver.
Does that sound like the right sequence?
Can you tell I know nothing!! LOL
Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

The receiver needs to be connected for the unit to search for a SAT, or at least mine does.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

Satellite

Hmmm, now I'm more confused. Read to plug the Direct TV receiver in after it finds a signal.
The little Winegard box is plugged in and powered on while it searches.
So far it isn't even searching. Doesn't matter which connection I use on the outside of the RV. Neither one gets the Dome to search.
The only way to get a search is to run the cable into the rv through the door and connect it directly to the little Winegard box.
We have in the past been able to get a connection using the outside connectors but it doesn't work anymore.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by old travelers View Post
Hmmm, now I'm more confused. Read to plug the Direct TV receiver in after it finds a signal.
That's a different model/type then mine then.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #8

After I read the installation instructions, they say to connect everything together and once done, push the button on the power inserter to begin the search.

And operating under the auspice of "The only dumb question is the one that is not asked", are you sure you are connecting the correct power inserter coax port to the "sat" port on the wall plate inside the trailer?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

answer

Yes everything is hooked up correctly. It has all worked in the past as is. The problem now is that we can only get a signal when the satellite is connected directly to the little box. It's as if the outside connections aren't working. But we can't figure out what may have caused it to stop working as it has in the past.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #10

The next two steps I would take then would be as follows. Pull the wall plate and also find where the internal coax connects to the outside port and make sure those are tight. I also bought this to troubleshoot instances just like this as I had a coax run that had a broken copper wire within and depending on how you moved it, it would work then it wouldn't. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-V...ds=coax+tester
Old 06-06-2017, 06:50 AM   #11

very simple to tell if your outside connectors are working with a voltage tester that reads DC power. 1st, hook up your receiver in the living room to the wall jack that you normally use. go outside with your tester and satellite cable. hook the cable to the outside connector and check for voltage about 12-14 volts. ( place one lead on the center wire and one on the metal nut). this tells you which connector is wired to your DTV receiver. my 2017 27.5RLTS was wired backwards. my aux sat input is really my living room.