Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I wasn't clear if you were looking at AC on battery/solar. Sure it can be done and some do it and are happy because they don't want the noise. My generator is very quiet, granted not as much so if the AC is running but we are fine even if we can cool things off a bit before bed.
The only thing we would want from solar (that I can think of) would be to top off the battery and possibly run the vent fan, LED lights and possibly a TV. I think solar is a year or more away from us, as I found a great deal on a 3k Yamaha generator. Once we figure out the cost to run the generator vs. the cost to run off propane (plus, which can run off which) we can start to build a gameplan for dry camping.

The immediate need is knowing when and how we can run the fridge to get packed. If we get the generator before our first camp outing (3 weeks) we can use it to run the AC while we are packing the night before, which would be great (very hot and humid here in GA). If we can run the fridge off the 110v/20A circuit at the storage place for a day, that's even better.

Otherwise, we might take a cooler with ice to carry cold stuff until we get setup (using propane to cool while we drive) or try packing the fridge with cold food and ice packs (+ propane cooling while driving) and see how that works. We have plenty of gel ice packs from when my wife got medicine delivered in ice chests.