Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #1

Help Please with Hot water issues on/off again

Greetings,

Hope someone can help me out with my problem. I have a 5th wheel 355W Seismic Toy Hauler that I'm currently living in and have been for 4 months. Today, my hot water stopped working and then would begin working again.

It's 60 degrees, the fuse is not blown but sometimes when turning on the hot water in either the kitchen or bathroom it works when it wants. In the kitchen, I can turn on the cold water and slowly turn it to hot and the water is hot coming out, once again when it wants to work.

I've watched several Youtube videos trying to see what's wrong and I'm just lost at this point. I just turned on the shower and it works just fine but go back in 5 minutes and it doesn't.

Please help if you can.

Thank you!

RaisnCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #2

Just for clarification....I assume the water heater is heating the water properly and that your problem is the flow of water rather than temperature?
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Just for clarification....I assume the water heater is heating the water properly and that your problem is the flow of water rather than temperature?
Yes, if/when it works, hot water is coming out of the faucet. The issue is that sometimes it flows out and others it does not.

Appreciate any assistance!!
Old 03-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Something in the hot water heater that is blocking the flow?

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #5

That does sound like a kinked line somewhere, or other obstruction that is limiting flow.
Do you have good pressure when you first turn on the hot water valve, and then it quickly drops off or stops? If that is the case, the blockage is preventing full flow, but allowing pressure to build up when the valve is closed. Much like a kinked garden hose.
What year is this unit? I assume you have no issues at all with the cold water flow?
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 03-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
are your valve settings correct?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
That does sound like a kinked line somewhere, or other obstruction that is limiting flow.
Do you have good pressure when you first turn on the hot water valve, and then it quickly drops off or stops? If that is the case, the blockage is preventing full flow, but allowing pressure to build up when the valve is closed. Much like a kinked garden hose.
What year is this unit? I assume you have no issues at all with the cold water flow?
It's a 2016. I have good pressure when I turn on either cold or hot and then it drops off down to what I was beginning to wonder was even good flow.

The hot will either come on or have good pressure and drop.

Now that you say that, sounds about right as far as a blockage of some sort. I don't have a clue where to begin to look for something like that.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

I'm not sure if the 2016 models had the inline water supply filter/strainer, but if so it is located at your 12V pump. If you lose pressure on cold as well, it most likely that. If this issue seemed to develop over a short period of time, I would bet you have a clogged strainer...very easy to remove and clean those.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

I found the pump and I see one hose that may be my problem. Going to fix that and clean out the strainer as well.

Appreciate the advice, will update once I get that done.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

Worked on this last night to no avail.

Moved the hose and the screen was not clogged. Pump is coming on but I'm wondering if it's working. The cold water now has depleted to almost no pressure.

From what I can see, I'm no mechanic and not mechanically inclined either, I don't see anything else that's wrong.

Any other advice? It was working fine and then didn't.

To clarify on the last point, after changing the hose and taking the screen out, the water both hot and cold were flowing well, not great but well. About 15 minutes later, the hot water stopped again and the cold water pressure has dropped significantly.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #11

Let's start at the beginning. Are you hooked up to city water via a hose at your inlet connection on the outside of the unit?
If so, have you checked to see what the pressure and flow is on the connection before and after your hose, if you have a pressure regulator, have you taken that out off and compared flow without it?
Old 03-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #12

Really appreciate the help!

Yes, hooked to city water and have a pressure regulator hooked up to the hose. I have not tried the pressure with out it as I was told not using it can damage the hoses in the RV.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #13

Start at the supply...disconnect your hose from the inlet and see what the flow is like, then take the regulator out of the line and reconnect it anm see what your inside fixture's flow is like.
You may have a regulator failure and or blockage.
If this corrects the problem, you can hook up without the regulator until you can get a replacement. If you feel there is extreme pressure and worried about your interior water lines, you could fill your fresh water tank and then use your pump to supply your plumbing, and refill the tank as necessary. Personally, I would think for short term you can use your city supply without the regulator.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #14

It sounds like the problem may be with the "city" water supply. It makes some sense that if the pressure were to drop the hot water would fail first because it has a longer distance to travel before coming out of your faucet.

Another problem might be a faulty pressure reducer. Can you borrow another one? Or just buy one--they're cheap.

Try filling your fresh water tank and use the 12V pump with the city water disconnected. If this solves your problem then it's the city water or the reducer.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #15

Removed the pressure reducer and the cold water has good pressure - I'm going to buy another reducer just because.

However, the hot water still won't work. Nothing comes out of any faucets when the hot water is turned on.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisnCane View Post
Removed the pressure reducer and the cold water has good pressure - I'm going to buy another reducer just because.

However, the hot water still won't work. Nothing comes out of any faucets when the hot water is turned on.
You may have to start removing hoses along the path that the hot water takes to get to a faucet to see where the flow stops or slows. (I'm assuming you're having this problem with more than just one faucet).

One of your winterizing valves could be malfunctioning. Or there could be some manufacturing debris floating around in the water heater that has found its way to the outlet. You could try draining the water heater and spraying around inside it with a small hose. You could hook up a garden hose to the outlet and force the water backwards out through the drain hole and watch for debris.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #17

If you have not touched any of your winterizing by-pass valves recently, and you have good water flow to all cold water faucets, but no hot water flow anywhere, you most likely have a stuck hot water heater check valve. It is possible you could solve that by back-flushing the water heater, but that's unlikely.
The following youtube video is a decent guideline to follow. I would look for specific service instructions for you particular water heater by make and model to see exactly where the check-valve is located on your model.

Be sure anytime you are working on or draining the water heater to always turn off the 110V circuit breaker and hot water heater switches on your control panel so you don't get zapped and just as important: you cannot allow power to be supplied to the electric heating element when it is not submerged in water. The heating element will burn out instantly if it's not submerged when there is no water in the tank if there is power to it.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #18

As of now, the water is flowing both hot and cold.

Watched the video and took out the check valve out, cleaned it and put it back. Seems to have fixed the issue for now. I have removed the pressure regulator and have great water pressure. Going to buy a new one today and see what happens from there.

I greatly appreciate all the advice and help.

Thanks Nature Ist for the help and patience with this situation!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #19

Glad to hear you have water again. I wasn't sure you even had a check valve in the water heater plumbing...some do, some don't. (Mine doesn't)
Those check valves have a reputation for sticking. There is an alternative of replacing the check valve with a ball valve, but it isn't the easiest to install. That check valve is there primarily for the winterization process, it prevents the antifreeze from going into the hot water tank. The ball valve, which would have to be operated manually when winterizing, would eliminate the problem of the check valve sticking. There are YouTube videos covering the topic. For now, I would order the replacement check valve to have on hand for when it happens again.
Now enjoy some nice hot water!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #20

Raisincane, For "kicks and giggles" check your strainer bowl on your water pump. It should be clear. If it's dark, It's plugged. I replaced a guy's pump last fall on his 2017 Jayco Eagle 5er. He never used a water filter ahead of the pump. His strainer/pump was NASTY!. Cost of a new pump $100. and, having water pressure......Priceless