Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2021, 05:37 AM   #1

Help with a SLINKY

We are going on our second outing with our new rig next week, and still very green at this. The first time out I had a heck of a time with the Slinky staying put once I started opening the dump valves. I am sure there is a simple technique to set this thing so it will stay in place that has so far eluded me?
Old 09-11-2021, 06:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Staying put where? Do you use any type of support or just lay in on the ground?

Got a picture?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Staying put where? Do you use any type of support or just lay in on the ground?

Got a picture?

I do have a picture, not sure how good it is. I just laid it on the ground best I could and put the drain hose on top. When the waste water started to come out, it would topple in places. It would have been a funny show for someone watching . If picture comes out crooked you get to fix it again. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20210811_162717[1].jpg  
Old 09-11-2021, 06:36 AM   #4

Maybe I'm not fully awake yet......
But it appears to me that you don't have the slinky laying in every valley of the support. To make it as stable as possible, you want it laying right down the middle - as that's what will support it from both sides.

Upon a 2nd looking, maybe you've done that for the first 2 sections of hose, but on the 3rd you've changed the pattern - does that have something to do with the stepdown transition from brick to grassy area?
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

That’s an awful long run for a slinky, mine seems to work better the more stretched out evenly too. Going from concrete to the grass could creat that problem too.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Maybe I'm not fully awake yet......
But it appears to me that you don't have the slinky laying in every valley of the support. To make it as stable as possible, you want it laying right down the middle - as that's what will support it from both sides.

Upon a 2nd looking, maybe you've done that for the first 2 sections of hose, but on the 3rd you've changed the pattern - does that have something to do with the stepdown transition from brick to grassy area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
That’s an awful long run for a slinky, mine seems to work better the more stretched out evenly too. Going from concrete to the grass could creat that problem too.

I am quite certain I didn't have it as I should. I need it in every valley as you mentioned? I was laying it out in a haphazard manner, first time, and no, I never took the brick/grass transition to account.

Yes, the brick/grass thing was already mentioned. Will have to keep this in mind going forward. It is a long run, perhaps I should buy a second shorter one? I was worried about the slope, and was having a hard time keeping an angle throughout the whole length
Old 09-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #7
Site Team

That is actually the longest run I have ever seen. I can assure you it is not the norm. I have had them so long that the wind would blow them over but never 3 sections as yours appears. I would lay the last one flat on the ground for a short stay if you don't get flak from the cg.
If you want to use support all the way be sure and put all of the supports under the hose and try not to stretch it out all the way. That hose is heavy when full of water.
I always like to position mine so there is a "trap" somewhere in it to prevent sewer system gas from having a way into the tanks. There is already enough gas in them and the roof vents should allow the tanks to vent.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #8

X4 on the unusually long run. I would have been short sewer hose and never reached.

From what I’m seeing I would have curved quickly to the grass from the dump valve and ran on the grass most of the way. But there may be a slope I’m missing.

Technique also comes into play. You could partially open the valve and allow water to slowly fill the hose. Then adjust the hose on the supports so it is solid. Finally open all the way and watch it drain. What you experienced happens to everyone from time to time.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
X4 on the unusually long run. I would have been short sewer hose and never reached.

From what I’m seeing I would have curved quickly to the grass from the dump valve and ran on the grass most of the way. But there may be a slope I’m missing.

Technique also comes into play. You could partially open the valve and allow water to slowly fill the hose. Then adjust the hose on the supports so it is solid. Finally open all the way and watch it drain. What you experienced happens to everyone from time to time.

That is an excellent suggestion, to slowly open a valve and watch and adjust.It was an unusual spot, very nice and level but the power pole was way in the back. I probably could have moved us forward a bit more when setting up. All about learning, thank You
Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
That is an excellent suggestion, to slowly open a valve and watch and adjust.It was an unusual spot, very nice and level but the power pole was way in the back. I probably could have moved us forward a bit more when setting up. All about learning, thank You
Pro tip stretch the electric to full length if it is stored inside. In theory, heat could build up when the cord is coiled without ventilation in an enclosed space.

I’m usually more interested in where our awning is covering than the utilities as long as they reach.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Pro tip stretch the electric to full length if it is stored inside. In theory, heat could build up when the cord is coiled without ventilation in an enclosed space.

I’m usually more interested in where our awning is covering than the utilities as long as they reach.

Thanks, yes I roll all the power cord out. That awning covering is very important, lol.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

I just use a 10 foot piece of plastic rain gutter I bought from Home Depot. Cut it into two sections, a 6 foot piece and a 4 foot piece that can telescope into longer or shorter as needed. Works super, cheap to buy, and easy to store.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #13

If your sewer hose pops out where it goes in the ground they make a weight to put over the end specifically for this, I think it’s called a sewer pig or something like that, but I use the sand bags used for the ez up tent legs as a saddle over the end. This works great.

ABCCANOPY Sandbag Saddlebag Design 4 Weight Bags for Photo Video Studio Stand, Backyard,Outdoor Patio,Sports(Orange) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAY5UKE..._Rd6y8SOzxZwpR
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #14
Site Team

Here tis: I think I can do without it!l

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Sewer...-p/11-0000.htm
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-12-2021, 04:51 AM   #15

Quote:

Me too, lol.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #16

If it doesn’t screw into the sewer my wife will put her foot on it and I will get the other end and walk it down until it empties.
Pastorlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #17

It may be the campground layout, but I would've pulled farther ahead and parked behind the RV. I'd rather run a longer water hose and electric than that long of a sewer.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #18

Quote:

We saw one at the campground in Williamsburg this past week, except it was dark colored. Didn't look quite as bad
Old 09-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorlarry View Post
If it doesn’t screw into the sewer my wife will put her foot on it and I will get the other end and walk it down until it empties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
It may be the campground layout, but I would've pulled farther ahead and parked behind the RV. I'd rather run a longer water hose and electric than that long of a sewer.

Yes, I walked each section, then unhooked it and kept going. I was lucky the other end didn't pop out.

That was out very first outing, so hopefully it gets better. We discussed it and agreed we should have pulled forward a bit more.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
That was out very first outing, so hopefully it gets better. We discussed it and agreed we should have pulled forward a bit more.
I'm pretty sure we've all done multiple camping things followed by the words "That's the last time I do that!" lol
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote