Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,103
Help with Tekonsha Voyager failure (sort of)

We hooked up last Tuesday for the first trip, hooked up the TT, stepped on the brake pedal to check the controller and no TT brakes! The green light went on as soon as we plugger her in, but the truck brake pedal didn't change it to orange, as it always has.
Checked ALL the fuses in the truck, the plug and receptacle has always been greased with dielectric and look good.
So, here's the kicker. It works with the manual slide. The light color changes as it should, and TT brakes work.
So, I'm wondering if the controller took a dump, since it works normally with the slide??
I know it's not the greatest controller, and it's about 12 years old. Maybe I jumped the gun a little, but today I ordered a Prodigy P3 to replace it. Probably since I've wanted one, and they're highly reviewed.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated from you all.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 22,752
Does maxing out the gain wheel change anything for you?
__________________
Moderator
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja/Andersen WD
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Does maxing out the gain wheel change anything for you?
Haven't maxed it out, but did dial it up a few times. For some reason, it just doesn't react to the brake pedal at all.
Tomorrow (if it's not raining again), just for grins, I'll completely re-do the level, and gain settings like a new install. And check voltage going to it.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,650
One good thing with the P3 is its the last one you will ever buy due to its lifetime warranty. I bought a P3 three years ago and had problems with sticky buttons and they have replaced three of them for the same problem. They never asked for a copy of the receipt, processed the claim quick over the phone and overnighted a new one, all they asked is I return the defective one on their dime with supplied return label. Cant ask for better warranty service.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
One good thing with the P3 is its the last one you will ever buy due to its lifetime warranty. I bought a P3 three years ago and had problems with sticky buttons and they have replaced three of them for the same problem. They never asked for a copy of the receipt, processed the claim quick over the phone and overnighted a new one, all they asked is I return the defective one on their dime with supplied return label. Cant ask for better warranty service.
That's really great to know. I've wanted one for a while, and this is as good a reason as any. Hopefully it's the fix to my problem, and not something more expensive payable to Toyota!
I will post an update early next week, after it arrives. (Me and Amazon get along WAY too well'
Thanks for the assurance.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 22,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Haven't maxed it out, but did dial it up a few times. For some reason, it just doesn't react to the brake pedal at all.
Tomorrow (if it's not raining again), just for grins, I'll completely re-do the level, and gain settings like a new install. And check voltage going to it.
I had a similar issue may years ago with the voyager that is in my '07. Just moving the wheels around solved it and it has been fine ever since. Not sure why it had the issue, but it cleared itself.

Nice choice on the P3. I have one in my Sprinter and it is a really nice controller. You will be very happy with it.
__________________
Moderator
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja/Andersen WD
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I had a similar issue may years ago with the voyager that is in my '07. Just moving the wheels around solved it and it has been fine ever since. Not sure why it had the issue, but it cleared itself.

Nice choice on the P3. I have one in my Sprinter and it is a really nice controller. You will be very happy with it.
Thanks, I'll try the procedure in the manual, just like an initial install, and see if the truck picks it up. If it does, I have a spare. If not, it gets the deep six. I hate electrical issues. And spiders and snakes.
I'll post what the outcome is.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 16,103
Midnightmoon, you're the best! Incredible!! Went out to the truck, popped the controller off the dash and twisted the knobs a few times. Plugged the trailer in, and VOILA! Orange and red lights came back. The brake pedal is activating it once again. I don't know why I didn't try that, since I did everything else first! Maybe 'cause I'm a little bit Polish! I guess I will have a spare now, in case someone else needs one.
Like you said, I don't know why it did that, but if I run into someone who has the same situation, I can make their day. Thank you so much for your wisdom.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 22,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Midnightmoon, you're the best! Incredible!! Went out to the truck, popped the controller off the dash and twisted the knobs a few times. Plugged the trailer in, and VOILA! Orange and red lights came back. The brake pedal is activating it once again. I don't know why I didn't try that, since I did everything else first! Maybe 'cause I'm a little bit Polish! I guess I will have a spare now, in case someone else needs one.
Like you said, I don't know why it did that, but if I run into someone who has the same situation, I can make their day. Thank you so much for your wisdom.
You are certainly welcome. I'm happy it worked out for you.
__________________
Moderator
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja/Andersen WD
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.