Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My rig has a 50a marinco connection and the only way I can plug anything into it is with a 50a marinco cord or a marinco 50a to 30a dogbone. I have the dogbone for when I camp at a site with 30a.

When that is used everything works inside but if I exceed 30amps, it trips my pedestal breaker.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Marin...-p/55-8801.htm
You could use a Y adapter, plugging your 50 amp cord into it and plugging the adapter into a 30 amp receptacle and the other half of the adapter into the 20 amp receptacle. That way you have 50 amps at 120 coming into your RV and, you should be able to use both AC.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
You could use a Y adapter, plugging your 50 amp cord into it and plugging the adapter into a 30 amp receptacle and the other half of the adapter into the 20 amp receptacle. That way you have 50 amps at 120 coming into your RV and, you should be able to use both AC.
As long as it's not at 20 amp groundfault. It will trip everytime.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As long as it's not at 20 amp groundfault. It will trip everytime.

I have a properly wired motorhome and plug into a 20a GFI quite frequently and it has never tripped.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #24

When using the Y adapter is what Grumpy was speaking about I believe.. if it is wired on a different leg than the other side of the Y then it should not be an issue. If wired on the same leg, then yes it will cause issues. I really don't like Ground Fault in a campground...not needed and can cause issues. I've changed out a number of GFCI breakers, they would work on one Rv and not on the next...not worth all the problems.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #25

I have two AC units. I have yet to plug into a 30 amp box. How do I determine in advance, which AC unit will work on a 30 amp connection?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #26

Both ACs will work. If you try to use them at the same time the breaker will trip. The adapter ties both 50 amp lines in the RV to one 30 amp Supply.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
I have two AC units. I have yet to plug into a 30 amp box. How do I determine in advance, which AC unit will work on a 30 amp connection?
The ones I have been involved with, power the main AC not the bedroom ac. I don't know if this is standard but it makes sense it would be.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Both ACs will work. If you try to use them at the same time the breaker will trip. The adapter ties both 50 amp lines in the RV to one 30 amp Supply.
It actually only picks up one leg of the 50 amp power, if you were to connect two legs it would short out. Your breaker box will determine what works and what doesn't. Remember on 30 amp service you have less than 1/3 the power available when you have a full 50 amp service. This is why some folks will use a Y adapter. You plug your 50 amp cord into it, and then plug one side of the Y into the 30 amp receptacle and the other into the 20 amp receptacle, this typically will allow you to run two AC, but still limit using other appliances if the 2 AC are being run. You would have 1/2 the power you normally would have if plugged into a 50 amp service.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I have a properly wired motorhome and plug into a 20a GFI quite frequently and it has never tripped.
When we first started parking in our driveway, I also used a heavy duty extension off a 20a outlet. Seemed to work just fine as long as we were careful what all to turn on at the same time. In the winter, I learned that you cannot run two space heaters off 20 amps! The first time I went out to get ready to leave one morning and found my rig battery completely dead and my fridge off, we decided to get a 30a outlet installed. Dew had somehow managed to trip the outlet and I had mistakenly set to refrigerator directly to ac current (instead of auto) so it did not automatically switch over to propane, hence my stuff was not so cool the next morning! Nor would my generator even kick over since it needed a spark apparently.

An electrician was able to run from our outside breaker box through the attic and down the outside wall of our garage, installing a covered outlet. He used a breaker for a little wall heater that we never used in a bathroom since the box was already full. Works great now.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #30

We need to understand a GFCI is not an over current device. A breaker is the over current device and a GFCI will sense an imbalance of current between the hot and neutral and will trip.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It actually only picks up one leg of the 50 amp power, if you were to connect two legs it would short out. Your breaker box will determine what works and what doesn't. Remember on 30 amp service you have less than 1/3 the power available when you have a full 50 amp service. This is why some folks will use a Y adapter. You plug your 50 amp cord into it, and then plug one side of the Y into the 30 amp receptacle and the other into the 20 amp receptacle, this typically will allow you to run two AC, but still limit using other appliances if the 2 AC are being run. You would have 1/2 the power you normally would have if plugged into a 50 amp service.
That is not the way my 30a to 50a dog bone works. It takes the single 30a 120V line and makes two hot 120V lines that power the entire camper but both lines in the camper will share the 30a load the breaker on the exterior power pedestal can handle.

Here is an image of the internal wiring.

http://www.dmbruss.com/timages/FullT...ampDogbone.jpg

Made my custom generator drop cord the same way. 30A 120V out of generator and 50A 240V into camper. I hope that does not confuse people on here but the electrical folks should get it.....

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote