Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

House Battery Problem

New member here and just bought a new 2010 Jayco Precept this Spring. Have an issue with the house battery power. Just winterized and also had new house batteries installed. RV is parked in my carport with shore power but when I try to test run generator while RV is plugged to shore power the generator won't start. It will only start if I start the chassis engine. If I disconnect the shore power and shut down chassis engine, the battery disconnect switch will trip and I will have no power at all in motorhome. Never had an issue before now.
Hopefully there is someone here that may have some insight into what the problem may be.
jerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Are the new batteries connected properly?

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
Are the new batteries connected properly?
Thanks for the reply! The new batteries were installed by a Jayco service rep. a few days ago and I would hope that he connected them properly, but then you never know. I'm planning to go see them again tomorrow and that will probably be the first question to ask. I posted here to try to get input from other rv owners like yourself before going back in to see them. I paid a lot of money for them to troubleshoot my electrical problem the first time, being led to believe it may be covered by the warranty. His conclusion after 2 - 3 hours was that the battery needed to be replaced and that it was not covered by the warranty.
Appreciate your help!
The issue that I had the first time when I brought the RV in to the service rep was that my house battery was dead despite being hooked up to shore power and the only way I could start my generator was by starting the chassis engine.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

tlhdoc -
Found the problem and I thank you very much for your input. Today while waiting for the Jayco serv. rep to return my call I was looking over the wire connectons on the new house batteries when low and behold I discovered that the mechanic did not connect the black neutral wire from the battery to the motorhome. That wire was just hanging underneath the battery. I connected the wire and now am back up and running again. Wish they were all that easy. Didn't really believe before that the battery was connected wrong because the mechanic had started up the generator right after he installed the new batteries. But now it is obvious that he must have left the engine running while he was installing the batteries (he had moved the motorhome over to the entrance of the shop to install the battery).
Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, jerrym!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #6

Hello Crabman!
Thanks for the post! Commercial fisherman eh? That's how I grew up in Seattle in a long line of fishermen. I didn't stick with it after getting married.

Retired
2010 Jayco Precept 24' w/ Mercedes Diesel
Bought new March 23, 2012 Kingston, NY
Great trip from NY to Seattle via East Coast, Gulf Coast, SW and West Coast