Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #1

How do I know if solar power is being used vs battery when not plugged into Shore pow

New first time RV owner, so much helpful info on this forum, I could read for days. We got a used 2019 Jayco slx 194bs Baja with solar, we can run fans/lights/radio/open slide/awning without hooking up to power, but I’m not sure if that power is coming from the solar or battery. Since I got it used I didn’t get the presentation on some of the more confusing stuff. I’ve searched and can’t seem to find the answer. Any help is much appreciated!
joybulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #2

I think the simplest way to put it is that all that stuff runs off the battery and all the solar does is charge the battery.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
I think the simplest way to put it is that all that stuff runs off the battery and all the solar does is charge the battery.
Thank you. That makes so much sense that I feel stupid. Between reading how using shore power charges the batteries, poking around the power center, I kinda Started to figure that. My initial source of confusion came from the fact that I thought there was a separate battery for the solar system. I guess where folks without solar would want to use a battery maintainer, I don’t necessarily have to, since the sun will keep some charge in the battery
Old 08-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

Do you know or can you find out the exact model of the solar charge controller that is connected to your batteries?

The essential answer is - the juice is coming from you batteries.

The not so simple answer might be, that if the batteries are fully charged some of the juice might also be supplied from excess available from the charge controller.

But back to essentially, what does it matter as long as the batteries get and stay fully charged during the daytime and you have plenty of battery capacity when the sun goes down to continue to power your appliances and devices.

Do you have any indicators or meters to show you the battery state or battery voltage at a glance? That might give you some peace of mind and help manage your battery resources. If not, do you own a basic voltmeter?

Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Do you know or can you find out the exact model of the solar charge controller that is connected to your batteries?
Do you have any indicators or meters to show you the battery state or battery voltage at a glance? That might give you some peace of mind and help manage your battery resources. If not, do you own a basic voltmeter?.
I have a nature power charge controller(https://www.naturepowerproducts.com/product-details.php?id=210), but as I understand it, that is only telling me the power that is coming in from the solar panel. I’m assuming that if I wanted a battery charge indicator that it would be a separate device. I have a multimeter I can test with assuming that’s the same as a volt meter.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:13 AM   #6

You might find these links helpful:

https://www.jayco.com/blog/product-f...ped-for-solar/
https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/up...2018-04-10.pdf
https://gpelectric.com/files/gpelect..._GP_PWM_30.pdf

Not sure if your solar is stock or aftermarket, but I came across this information from Go Power the other day looking for info on my yet to be delivered 2021.

Edit: sorry did not read your last post about the controller you are using.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Here is the User manual for the SOLAR charge controller that you posted, at least the User Manual that was listed on the page. It requires some setting up and you need to check if it was set by JAYCO for the proper battery that you are using.

If you go down to pages 9 and 10 it explains how to see if your SOLAR is supplying enough power to offset your load.

Take your time and take it one page at a time with the User Manual... They also should have a Customer Support number for the SOLAR... if all else fails

Good luck

Don
Our SOLAR Social Group
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

As already stated battery supplies power to rv, solar charges battery. You should consider a decent battery monitoring gauge with a shunt. All of your answers will be clear from the info it will provide. Cheap Chinese one from a company like Aoli will do just fine for your system.
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

thanks for all the insight everyone!
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #10

I installed this:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multi...b-8a79de2d236f
With a reverse polarity switch, you can monitor how many Amps go into our out of the battery. During the day, when Amps from panels > Amps consumed, the reading in the "consumed" direction is 0. In the "charge from panels" direction, the Amps displayed are Amps in from panel - Amps consumed.

This is very convenient and takes the guesswork out of the equation.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote