Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #1

How hot is too hot for V10?

I purchased an OBD2 display to monitor various parameters on my 2019 Redhawk, especially the engine temperature. I can set a temp alarm. I know most gasoline engines can’t go past 280F but what would be too hot to cause an issue on these V10’s?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #2

Find out what the thermostat sets at. For instance, my Chevy Sonic is 220. Then add 10 or 20 to that. It may rise to that towing on hills, but you can be alerted and watch.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #3

I have an OBD2 setup as well, ObdFusion as that is the only one I know of that includes the transmission temp.

With that in mind and to your question, I have monitored my engine temp and determined it stays most often (after warmup) between 195 and 205 degrees and I have seen it as high as 208, therefore I set my warning at 210 as I want to know asap if the temp is rising higher than normal and\or higher than I have ever seen so far. With that in mind, I would suggest something similar for yours, perhaps set the warning at 212 and then monitor to see what your normal temps are and then set the alert for 5 more degrees.

I will add though that when I go back into the mountains towing a slightly heavier toad that if I see say 210~215 and all else is normal, then I will re-adjust my alarm to the new high +5. I also plan to do this with the other temps, for example the transmission temp, whatever I see as common I will set the alarm at say ~5 degrees higher than what I commonly see as the high temp.

Curious if you know if you can have more than one alarm point with the OBD2 apps, that would be a good feature imo? ~CA
Old 01-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
Find out what the thermostat sets at. For instance, my Chevy Sonic is 220. Then add 10 or 20 to that. It may rise to that towing on hills, but you can be alerted and watch.
Thanks. I think most T stats open at 220. I also have found that the temp reading from the OBD is a coolant reading. I found information that a true reading should be taken from the engine block itself. Don’t know how accurate that statement is, but I was wandering if there is a variable that can be determined by just reading the difference in coolant temperature?
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have an OBD2 setup as well, ObdFusion as that is the only one I know of that includes the transmission temp.

With that in mind and to your question, I have monitored my engine temp and determined it stays most often (after warmup) between 195 and 205 degrees and I have seen it as high as 208, therefore I set my warning at 210 as I want to know asap if the temp is rising higher than normal and\or higher than I have ever seen so far. With that in mind, I would suggest something similar for yours, perhaps set the warning at 212 and then monitor to see what your normal temps are and then set the alert for 5 more degrees.

I will add though that when I go back into the mountains towing a slightly heavier toad that if I see say 210~215 and all else is normal, then I will re-adjust my alarm to the new high +5. I also plan to do this with the other temps, for example the transmission temp, whatever I see as common I will set the alarm at say ~5 degrees higher than what I commonly see as the high temp.

Curious if you know if you can have more than one alarm point with the OBD2 apps, that would be a good feature imo? ~CA
This is great information!, thanks I’ll give this a try. I tow all of the time so I’ll set my parameters based on towing. I’m also looking for is what temperature is dangerous for this V 10?

I bout a Cheap’O’ Autool X60. I don’t think it does transmission temps or multiple alarms for different set points, but I’ll check one I receive it and let you know.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Thanks. I think most T stats open at 220. I also have found that the temp reading from the OBD is a coolant reading. I found information that a true reading should be taken from the engine block itself. Don’t know how accurate that statement is, but I was wandering if there is a variable that can be determined by just reading the difference in coolant temperature?
The thermostat on mine is 195 degrees, and Rockauto shows 2 for yours, one at 190 and the other at 195 degrees. Certainly other vehicles and years could be different. If I only wanted to know when the engine was already overheated (like a dummy light) instead of knowing that the engine is reaching an all time new high temp, then I would likely set the alarm around 235. ~CA ... danger zone would be 240~250, the radiator cap would be blowing steam around 265 give or take...
Old 01-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
I have heard that also but if the cooling system is working as it should, temperature should stay around 220 with maybe a 15 degree variance. That's what I've seen monitoring my cars and trucks, and you'll want to know if the cooling system isn't working properly.

I had to take a covid quarantine vacation so I got out and watched the temperature on my phone app while the car warmed up at idle. I was surprised at how long it took to come up to 220.

When it finally hit 220 (219, actually), I could see fluid draining out of the overflow tank.

When it was stable at 220, I reached in and turned the temperature knob all the way to hot and the fan on high. Immediately temperature dropped to around 203 and then slowly started Rising again.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
The thermostat on mine is 195 degrees, and Rockauto shows 2 for yours, one at 190 and the other at 195 degrees. Certainly other vehicles and years could be different. If I only wanted to know when the engine was already overheated (like a dummy light) instead of knowing that the engine is reaching an all time new high temp, then I would likely set the alarm around 235. ~CA
Thanks Craig. I just want to know when to say ”Oh $hit, I better pull over”! Lol Before it’s to late and I cause engine damage. By type of engine damage. I’ve been reading that these V10’s get destroyed when they overheat!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I have heard that also but if the cooling system is working as it should, temperature should stay around 220 with maybe a 15 degree variance. That's what I've seen monitoring my cars and trucks, and you'll want to know if the cooling system isn't working properly.

I had to take a covid quarantine vacation so I got out and watched the temperature on my phone app while the car warmed up at idle. I was surprised at how long it took to come up to 220.

When it finally hit 220 (219, actually), I could see fluid draining out of the overflow tank.

When it was stable at 220, I reached in and turned the temperature knob all the way to hot and the fan on high. Immediately temperature dropped to around 203 and then slowly started Rising again.
Lol, in the old days if you were overheating you could turn your heat on to try and bring temp down, but it would ways be in the summer when you overheated !
Old 01-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
This is great information!, thanks I’ll give this a try. I tow all of the time so I’ll set my parameters based on towing. I’m also looking for is what temperature is dangerous for this V 10?

I bout a Cheap’O’ Autool X60. I don’t think it does transmission temps or multiple alarms for different set points, but I’ll check one I receive it and let you know.
Checkout ObdFusion, it is a smartphone app and they have a free version that works on Iphone's and Android phones and tablets and then after you determine if you like it or not then you can add more abilities such as the transmission temp (and lots of other things) for ~$15 if I remember correctly. ~CA
Old 01-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Checkout ObdFusion, it is a smartphone app and they have a free version that works on Iphone's and Android phones and tablets and then after you determine if you like it or not then you can add more abilities such as the transmission temp (and lots of other things) for ~$15 if I remember correctly. ~CA
Thanks Craig. I’ll check it out.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #12

At what temp does your fan clutch lock in and start cooling the engine?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
At what temp does your fan clutch lock in and start cooling the engine?
I haven’t looked at the fan clutch. My rig is fairly new, I’ve had it for 2 years. Don’t know. But my idiot gauge never gets close to half way.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
I got excited for a minute... I was going to try your app on my truck, a 2002. I use OBDLink, and it has the Trans temp option, but it doesn't show for my truck. Puzzling, since there is a temp on the dash.

Anyway, I went to the Play Store, and the screen shots for OBDfusion are identical to OBD Link. I think I'll just save my $4.99.