Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #11

Well, I've this, kinda. I was looking at the plumbing again today. I verified that I still couldn't get the pump to draw any of the remaining water. On the theory that the pump was sucking to hard and causing the alleged "funnel" of water, I partially closed the valve between the tank and the input of the pump. Water started flowing again! AHA! I thought. However no matter how I set the valve, turned the faucet on/off or turned the pump on/off I couldn't recreate the problem. I was able to run the tank dry.

So, I'm not sure what caused the problem but at least have a solution (that worked once at least).

Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
Well, I've this, kinda. I was looking at the plumbing again today. I verified that I still couldn't get the pump to draw any of the remaining water. On the theory that the pump was sucking to hard and causing the alleged "funnel" of water, I partially closed the valve between the tank and the input of the pump. Water started flowing again! AHA! I thought. However no matter how I set the valve, turned the faucet on/off or turned the pump on/off I couldn't recreate the problem. I was able to run the tank dry.

So, I'm not sure what caused the problem but at least have a solution (that worked once at least).
I'd rather have another mystery than 2" water left in my 10 gallon tank.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Well, you may have temporarily fixed the problem but I'll bet the next time you'll have the same problem. I believe the pump loses prime when the water gets down to the 2 gallon mark and the sucking force continues to create this prime loss. If you are in any way handy, you can get in the trailer and take the tank out, I had to do it in my 215SD a few years ago when the fresh water tank go a bunch of algae in it and wouldn't work. I'm not too handy but was able to take out the "scissor" type couch and then remove the fresh water tank to the outside and clean it out and sanitize it. I'm sure you can do the same thing and while you have it out, you might be able to fix your problem. I think it's silly for this to happen to you, the tank on my old 215SD would go clear to the bottom of the tank and suck virtually all the water out. That's the way it should work.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #14

Lost it's prime, sure. But why? Since I was eventually able to pump out all the water without loosing prime again it doesn't seem that the 2 inch level was the likely cause. At least I have a probable fix. Being prepared to put additional water is the real solution given the small capacity.