Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #1

how low does tank drain?

I have a 10 gal fresh water tank in my Swift SLX 145 RB. That isn't a lot, I know, but is part of the price of having a small trailer.

The tank measures about 12 inches high. When the water pump starts drawing air there's still 2-2.5 inches of water left in the tank. Is that typical? I understand there's probably a filter of some sort but 2+ inches seems a bit excessive.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #2

I have no experience with your trailer. But in general, and especially on a smaller tank, I would not be happy with a setup that left unusable the bottom two inches of the water supply. Since your unit is almost new, I think a talk with your dealer is in order. An answer of "They're all like that" is probably not the correct answer. Sounds to me that the supply tube needs to be about 2" longer.

By the way, on trailers I'm familiar with the screen filter is next to the pump and it's purpose is to keep larger particles from damaging the pump. I doubt that there is a filter in the tank.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Chances are that there is no "draw straw". I think you will find a nipple for the hose to attach. It will be on an end or a side so you can't get every drop out of it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

Decided to contact Jayco first and see what they had to say. Not the answer I wanted but at least they did answer and promptly.

" Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Jayco. This is a
10 gallon tank with 8 gallons usable until refilled again. Basically at
the 8 gallon mark the pump is asking for more water pressure then is
left in the tank so it creates a funnel and begins sucking air because
the tank is so small to begin with. So the way to stop this is to add
more water before you get to the 2 gallon mark."
Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Interesting...you would think with a tank that small it would have a little well in the bottom where it draws the last bit of water. I mean 2 gallons - that is 20%!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
Decided to contact Jayco first and see what they had to say. Not the answer I wanted but at least they did answer and promptly.

" Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Jayco. This is a
10 gallon tank with 8 gallons usable until refilled again. Basically at
the 8 gallon mark the pump is asking for more water pressure then is
left in the tank so it creates a funnel and begins sucking air because
the tank is so small to begin with. So the way to stop this is to add
more water before you get to the 2 gallon mark."
Wow so you will always have 2 gallons of unuseable water in the tank (20%). I would say get a few of the water containers that hold 5 gallons each fill them keep them in the back of your truck if you go dry camping thats all you can do. I have 90 gallons of water and it will last 4 days with 2 adults & 2 dogs camping.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #7

I know, it's really misleading. At first glance it's sounds fairly good, 6 gallons hot plus 10 = 16 gallons of water. I knew that I couldn't get 16 out as the 10 feeds the hot water heater so really expected a max of 10 (probably a bit less due to however the tank is constructed). But 20% is ridiculous.

I already have two of the 5-gal water containers so that part is good to go. Now to find a hand pump of some sort to pump from them into the trailer.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Any idea where your water tank is in that unit? Is it a belly tank? Can you gain access to the pickup tube? You might be able to extend the tube and put a 90 deg elbow on the bottom of it for an increase in draw if so. Just a thought.

Also look at marine stores for a self propelled bielge pump that may do the trick for you on the refills. I used to just dump them in my last TT as long as the water tanks had a vent on the handle. If ventless it can take forever.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

You could try something like this; 12 volt water pump like is in TT and attached to battery with clamps when needed also added hose fittings and hoses to pump. I salvaged pump from scrap TT, you also might find used one on eBay.
Transfers water fairly fast and saves trying to hold water jug
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg  
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Any idea where your water tank is in that unit? Is it a belly tank? Can you gain access to the pickup tube? You might be able to extend the tube and put a 90 deg elbow on the bottom of it for an increase in draw if so. Just a thought..
The tank is under one of the dinette seats along with the water heater, pump and converter. It appears to pull water from the bottom of the tank. The hose goes under the tank in a slot through the inner floor. Wish I could see the inside of the tank to see what's really there.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #11

Well, I've this, kinda. I was looking at the plumbing again today. I verified that I still couldn't get the pump to draw any of the remaining water. On the theory that the pump was sucking to hard and causing the alleged "funnel" of water, I partially closed the valve between the tank and the input of the pump. Water started flowing again! AHA! I thought. However no matter how I set the valve, turned the faucet on/off or turned the pump on/off I couldn't recreate the problem. I was able to run the tank dry.

So, I'm not sure what caused the problem but at least have a solution (that worked once at least).
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
Well, I've this, kinda. I was looking at the plumbing again today. I verified that I still couldn't get the pump to draw any of the remaining water. On the theory that the pump was sucking to hard and causing the alleged "funnel" of water, I partially closed the valve between the tank and the input of the pump. Water started flowing again! AHA! I thought. However no matter how I set the valve, turned the faucet on/off or turned the pump on/off I couldn't recreate the problem. I was able to run the tank dry.

So, I'm not sure what caused the problem but at least have a solution (that worked once at least).
I'd rather have another mystery than 2" water left in my 10 gallon tank.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

Well, you may have temporarily fixed the problem but I'll bet the next time you'll have the same problem. I believe the pump loses prime when the water gets down to the 2 gallon mark and the sucking force continues to create this prime loss. If you are in any way handy, you can get in the trailer and take the tank out, I had to do it in my 215SD a few years ago when the fresh water tank go a bunch of algae in it and wouldn't work. I'm not too handy but was able to take out the "scissor" type couch and then remove the fresh water tank to the outside and clean it out and sanitize it. I'm sure you can do the same thing and while you have it out, you might be able to fix your problem. I think it's silly for this to happen to you, the tank on my old 215SD would go clear to the bottom of the tank and suck virtually all the water out. That's the way it should work.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #14

Lost it's prime, sure. But why? Since I was eventually able to pump out all the water without loosing prime again it doesn't seem that the 2 inch level was the likely cause. At least I have a probable fix. Being prepared to put additional water is the real solution given the small capacity.