Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

how quick things change

Just a couple of weeks ago I was on here proud of our first camper and to be a full timer.Things sure change quick. We were told we had a "full 30 day warranty" when we purchased our used Jayco. After two nights we encountered electrical problems.When we took it back we were told that it wouldn't be covered under warranty,they said "everyone knows that electrical stuff is not covered"
So we have no a/c,microwave,tv.s,ect and am waiting for parts. They suggested we turn it into our insurance co. Is this Normal?
joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #2

Hey Joe - sorry to hear about your issues. I assume what they are saying is that you had a power surge that fried everything?

Did they say exactly what was wrong? That is unusual for all of your AC power to go out like that - it would normally only be a breaker or a bad shore cord. If in fact every appliance is actually fried, then the dealer may be correct.

I would do two things -- review in detail the warranty paperwork you should have received and see exactly what it does and does not cover. Second, if you are looking at a significant expense I would go to a second dealer and get an estimate.

Once you have all the facts and figures it will be much easier to fight the dealer if it becomes necessary.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Is it the converter?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

If it was the converter, all the lights and 12 volt stuff would be out but the A/C, Micro, etc should all be powered still. The A/C side is pretty simple -- plug - shore cord - load center - breaker - appliance. There is not much there to go wrong like on the 12 volt side.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

Not sure ,the breaker on the invertor would not reset until he unplugged it. The microwave and tvs will not power up. The only way the ac , refrig,and other things work is with a battery charger on the 12 volt battery. I'm afraid they are going to find more wrong when they get the parts and try to power eveything up. We didn't have anything written on the warranty, just supposedly the good old boy dealer, been in business forever and acted just like a friend. Yes I knew better but fell right into it completely. I decided to only have them fix the invertor ,I can buy and install the tvs and microwave. If that doesn't fix it I guess I will just take him to small claims court. Oh well we are trying not to dwell on this setback very much. Thansk for the replies,
joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

joecool--- Have faith, I bought a used 2010 x19h, never discussed any warrentee with the dealer, with whom I have done business with in the past, ( bought 2 pups over 17yrs) the inverter died within 60 days, it was replaced free of charge, no discussion. Larry
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Moved to tech talk for more possible replies.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Hi Joe , this doesn't sound right to me. This part of" full warranty" and " everyone knows that electrical is not covered." Sounds full all right. So what were the parts that needed to be replaced? How many days into the warranty were you before this happened. Is this guy just being unreasonable ? Normally you can come to some kind of compromise when this stuff happens. Is there a lemon aid law where you live? How about getting a poster board and stand outside his business and let potential customers know how you were treated.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #9

Joe - have they given you any sort of estimate on what they think all this will cost?

Also - if you unplug the microwave from the outlet and plug in something else, does it work? I am trying to understand if the appliances themselves are fried or something with the electrical system? If you hook up a charged battery do the 12 volt systems, like the overhead lights, work?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

Since you said "the breaker would not reset until he unplugged it", I would say there is a short circuit somewhere down stream from that breaker. This could be a failed appliance, a failed converter, or a wiring short. Tafishce has suggested a few things to look at also. Either way, should be covered under warranty. I would contact Jayco directly, and explain your situation where the dealer is giving you a hard time. You will find, Jayco will be very helpful.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #11

I re-read your post, and realized your purchase was a used Jayco. That being the case, my comment about warranty is wrong, and I must retract it.